1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks. :thumb:

Thanks, well have a look at some images of reclining lions. ;)
    I have a small res that I bought at the start of the year (because it was so cheap. $15), but I am stillthinking about it. :hehe:

Thanks cheaps. :thumb: Really, I only bought one sheet of 8mm and some 4mm and then some scrap thick stuff from the offcut bin. If you look at some of the pics you can make out left overs from Na'ir and even the odd bit from CX1.

Thanks, but I don't think it's very neat. At least my files don't think so. :hehe:

Thanks skip. :thumb:

Thanks voigts. :thumb:

Thanks. :thumb: Yeah, I can see the family starving while I make one case per year. :lol:

Thanks. :) It's just sheet and plate from the vendor. I don't ask for any special grade. Sometimes the colour and surface are different. Some material is easier to cut and drill than others. It's like licourice allsorts. :hehe:

Thanks Wayne. :thumb: Yeah, there is a lot of waste here cutting wierd shaped pieces but there is nothing I can do about it. I collect all the waste and one day will make a trip to the recycle centre.

Thanks. :thumb:

Pfft! Filters are for pussies. :hehe::lol:

But seriously, I had every intention of making this with dust filters but they have gone missing in action due to aesthetics, which I value way above practicalities. Besides, my last build has been running for eight months without dust filters and the world hasn't ended. :hehe:

Thanks mate, I'm glad you get some pleasure from it. :thumb: A book? Nah, I've got too many things planned. :hehe:

Waynio likes this.
  2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Originally Posted by Nutman
    Looks good, but I'm a bit baffled why many casemodders seem to give a crap about dust filters?

They tend to get in the way of the looks of most mods/builds

3. ColdzeroTeam

ColdzeroTeam What's a Dremel?

wow... just wow... i'm a precision freak myself, so i prefer machine made over hand. But this kinda makes me ask "who the hell needs machines anyway?" :p

4. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Well Attila is a machine, one of the best on these forums :p

5. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Well, you COULD put them between the fans and the radiator....

6. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don What's a Dremel?

this is just pure awesomesauce.....

7. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Most modders are lonely, lonely people with no social lives. This means they probably own a cat and if you own a cat and don't have dust filters then gg computer, gg....

8. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

Beautiful work

Long time lurker, first post ever.

Your work is beautiful and providing a little extra encouragement for me as well. I'm currently working on a project by hand as well (no project log as of yet). I just feel it provides a bit more enjoyment and gratification crafting something by hand. Reading your log reminds me to go out and buy some quality files.

Have you tried making pieces with lost-foam casting or any other aluminum casting as well?

9. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

You should check out Riek's build here, he did some alu sand casting ;) Real nice build too :)

10. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Saw the tag line "Last years Mod of the Year Winner" and "..This time with water "! Broke into a cold sweat thinking I've missed it .... the new build. Lots of great back log reading, and I so enjoy the details, not to mention the pictures. (DOF fun :D ) I still say your a human cnc :)

11. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Houdini showed up...

Hello.

Nobody could ever win Attila.:worried:

12. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks for the replies guys. :thumb:

And a belated welcome to bit-tech monkeyfun. :) Oh and good to hear from you again Loose. ;)

This update was supposed to show you something new, but I've had some problems with the rad cage/frame. So we're really going over old ground here, but I think you may agree with me that all the extra work was worth it.

First up, I bought a new toy. This is purely to get a nice square edge to small parts that normally take forever. To that end, the table is locked up really tight at exactly ninety degrees. Extra care needs to be taken because this thing is very powerful and removes alu quickly.

[​IMG]

The more I looked at the front, the more I didn't like it. The biggest problem was the angle of the long curve. Also the curve down towards the front, around the nose, was not right as well. So rather than make a whole new part, the top bit was cut off.

[​IMG]

Then I finally arrived at three usable cross pieces........................

[​IMG]

.........After nine tries. :duh: This was mainly due to not following the curve in the corners as well as on the nose.

[​IMG]

Once all was well with the cross pieces and the long curve, a new nose needed to be made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after some filing and shaping.

[​IMG]

The finished part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And fitted to the chassis. It's secured from the inside with six screws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next time I should have a side panel frame or two to show you.

EDIT

I've added a few more photo's because the angle and curve on the cross pieces has been refined and finalised. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Jun 2011
    bulldogjeff likes this.
  13. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I see that and I'm thinking "Damn thing looks like a Decepticon"

Are you making an evil metal computer, Attila?

14. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

That looks terrific. I think it would be nice to close that front up with some mesh, following the shape of the cross-pieces.

15. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

It does look a bit Decepticonish, doesn't it? If this thing comes to life, Attila is really in trouble.

Looking forward to seeing some side pieces to try to get an idea of what this thing will look like.

16. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I don't know about a Decepticon, I'm thinking rally car chassis. I reckon it would be strong enough as well. Atilla that is some serious metal work you've got going on there mate. Absolutely fantastic work....+ rep

17. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Transormation in 1....2.....3..... oops we are in trouble lolz ;)
    Fantastic job mate I like the new design it looks aggressive and for sure something different!!
    Mod on bro!

18. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Looks stunning - I also like the unpolished raw metal look. Will you anodize this?

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's called Cor Leonis because when you see it, you go: "Coooaaar!!!..." :p

20. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Hello Attila, your workmanship is beautiful as always. It would be a shame to cover all this up, but what ever you have planned will look superb. My imagination runs wild with side panel designs, so looking forward to your progression :)