1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Hello Rioters...

Discussion in 'General' started by Margo Baggins, 11 Aug 2011.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

What about retraining?

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I was also in that same position of being unemployed and i don't have any degrees either and yet i had work fairly quickly and there was tons of them out there even in a very small town. I'm sorry but the fact remains that you just refuse to do some shitty jobs.

Besides, longweight started it :p

3. longweight

Good for nothing lay-abouts!

[​IMG]

4. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I have been unemployed for 2 months;- there are lots of jobs, the only trouble is that:

1) I do not drive ( rules me out of many jobs that require you to have a full driving license

2) They are too far away to commute to ( I live the wrong side of the river Dart, most jobs are in the Torbay area

3) Most jobs that are too far away regardless require me to start/finish work/ work days when there is no public transport available

4) The remainder of local jobs require me to be highly trained, experienced, qualified or a holder of various certificates/ CSCS-type job cards in order to get a job with companies like building firms or even care homes.

So in summary, there are indeed loads of jobs, they are just way out of my/'our' reach in one way or another..

All I have at the moment is a 2.5 hour a week cleaning job, I would need a ~20-25 hour a week job just to survive in the long term and stop depleting my savings ( which is another thing, why do so many young people spend/ waste every penny they earn without saving any of it for the future? ). :sigh:

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I'm going to also have to object to the no-jobs thing.

There are jobs available, but I will say that the hours that are being offered in my area right now are pretty poor.

It took my one month to get a job (no experience, I can't drive, and I can't claim to want it permanently), applying to an average of 4-5 per day (anything, everything, even things I was grossly underqualified for). Most of the jobs I handed my CV in for or applied for were 0 hour or part time, there does seem to be a shortage of full time work available, however in my experience if you join a place and work harder than pretty much everyone else, more work tends to come your way.

There are plenty of opportunities, and sure it's harder to get a job than it was back in 2005, but there are plenty out there - you just need to cast the net deep and wide, and keep on casting it. IMO if you're in your second month of unemployment and you're not applying for at least 100 jobs per month, you're just not trying hard enough.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

There are no jobs?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last year, 99000 EU immigrants and 67000 non-EU immigrants came to the UK with a job already lined up. Question: how come all those Eastern European and Asian immigrants seem to find gainful employment?

The Fairy Jobmother TV programme may seem contrived but it makes some good points about seeking employment; moreover it manages to take pretty ordinary long-term unemployed people and gets them into a job within a month. Not a great job perhaps, but not a bad one either. Nobody says it is easy, and I can appreciate that spending months of sending off CVs and applying for jobs can be soul-suckingly frustrating. But in a tough market a really motivated and exceptional candidate stands out even more.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2011
  7. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

That's all well and good but I spent 4 months on the doll and I can say from my experience that means nothing, why? Because they can't know if you're motivated or exceptional without any actual contact with you, in those 4 months of constant applications I only had 1 telephone screening, no interviews, not even telephone interviews, just a generic screening.

I have a job now, I'm a junior accountant, guess how I got the job? Because my step dad is a good friend of his boss at a company. It doesn't give me the best impression of life when I feel the only way I'm gonna get a job is by having someone pull strings.

As for the guy that said there's always telesales, despite most in the darlington area stating full training is given they still don't care, if you don't have experience you won't get it.

EDIT: I'm not saying there are no jobs, there's loads of jobs. It's just there is NOT enough for everyone and as a young person with no experience no one is interested in taking me on.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2011
  8. longweight

I can't really talk about being unemployed, been employed since college and I save loads to ensure I am covered if I ever am unemployed or want to put a deposit down.

I can imagine its awful if you don't get a job for months and I guess most of it falls to choices made when we were younger i.e. specofdust not driving, that must have been a choice or not really an option when younger and is now seriously affecting him.

9. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Or apply for a job in the hospitality industry. The pay is rubbish but its still pay and there are ALWAYS jobs at pubs, restaurants act

And then there is the forces

Im sure I'm about to get massively flamed, Il get my coat...

10. Canon

Canon Reformed

I'm sorry but who exactly are you referring to here Throbbi? Enlighten me.

11. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Also at least some of the people complaining about being unemployed have pretty specced out rigs?

EDIT: And rep to nexxo, my thoughts exactly

12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Some of us were once students, a healthy £215 a month bursary in scotland to someone that doesn't smoke, drink or go out on the pull is a spectacular amount of money :clap:

13. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Hmm that will be the tax i have just started paying then

14. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Certainly will be, money well spent if I do say so myself! :thumb:
    I am sooooo gonna get flamed right now.

15. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

^nah no point, just makes me a little sad. The same people who are spending this money then claim there are no jobs.

16. Canon

Canon Reformed

Only one person in this thread so far has claimed there are NO jobs. But, if any of you would like to include me in this group of 'complaining unemployed' I will gleefully inform you of how badly misinformed you are about my employment status as it stands and how I feel about the amount of jobs and who is getting them.

I'm surprised some of you managed to read an application form and not mistake it for a telephone bill.

17. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

^ Sorry but you suggested you need a degree ect, but I have just got a job (of which there are around 900 a year) at the age of 19 that pays around £15000 in the first year, £24000 in the second and up from there.

Having a degree can help. It is incredibly ignorant to suggest you need degree to get a good job

18. longweight

I have no degree and am now 24, 27K base salary isn't bad at this age, worked really hard to get to where I am.

19. hellblazer.doom

hellblazer.doom What's a Dremel?

This is an old old debate...

I was unemployed for nearly 9 months and i hated every single day. After a while it does start to eat away at you. I probably didn't apply for as many jobs as I should have done but after the first 3 months of literally applying for anything, and if i told you some of the **** i applied for you'd understand. I got no responses what so ever to anything i sent via email, handed in to a shop, a work place, fast food, offices or anything, even when trying to speak to a manager or a recruiter to try and get an interview before they read my CV. It was, tbh, awful. 20 job apps a day easy.

After those 3 months i just lost the will. I tried my absolute best but didnt get anywhere and it was making me really ill so i slowed down and still got nowhere so i just applied for things occasionally. I did eventually get lucky after I became in debt quite badly but that was after 9 months.

If you can show me one person that has continually done that for longer period than I did i will commend that person. Because he did better than I did.

And nexxo, I suppose your statistics don't take into account that the majority of forgeign workers get the jobs because they work for a much lower rate than we do and longer hours? I can confirm this from first hand experience, i know what goes on. Factory managers hiring the poles and other eu workers for minimum wage, longer hours and no overtime pay. All going on behind the scenes.

But really I suppose it all comes down to the fact of how much you want the job. You may be unlucky like me but persistance got me the job.

longweight likes this.
  20. longweight

Well said hellblazer.