1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Hello Rioters...

Discussion in 'General' started by Margo Baggins, 11 Aug 2011.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I'm still young...I hope...24's still young, right...guys?

To be honest not being able to drive doesn't seriously disable me in the job market. I mean certainly there are jobs which I can't do (many warehouse related things, delivery, pizza companies, a few others) - but mostly it's not a problem. I can't say that not learning to drive yet has been a choice as such, rather just a consequence of never really having half a grand lying around to be spent on driving lessons.

Well, they manage to make it work in the UK don't they? My summer job's in catering, and there's loads of Poles in this industry, but there's a limit to how low that rate can legally go and that's minimum wage. If you're out of work and objecting to the idea of a job because it pays minimum wage then your priorities aren't really right, are they? In terms of longer hours, again, if you're out a job, surely being paid for more work is good? Personally I'm taking pretty much everything and anything my job'll throw at me right now because I was unemployed for a month and need to catch up on the money.

I really dislike this thing of blaming EU workers for there being no jobs or only rubbish jobs for brits. If you want a job then take a job a Pole would have taken. If you think you're disadvantaged compared to them then you're nuts - I've worked with people whose English is awful, and they're still working for the company. You know why? Because they work hard, they work for 8 or 9 hour days 5 days a week, and they don't complain about having to do so.

2. hellblazer.doom

hellblazer.doom What's a Dremel?

For a start behind the scenes obviously has a very obvious meaning. Less than Minimum wage can easily be organised my good friend, trust me. I never said I thought minimum wage was a bad thing when you do really need the money or are work shy. I apply for loads of **** minimum wage jobs. Im sure you can think of a few haha :)

Personally, I don't mind poles coming over here and working, or anyone else for that matter. The people who just don't want to work just use it as an excuse. But hey they are brought up really roughly some of em. Not as bad as some of the EU lads and lasses do, and as you rightly said before, work very hard for whats really very little money. They are using their heads and thinking very intelligently. Sorry if I wasnt clear. I was merely pointing out with this comment that this fact(forgeign works get jobs because they work twice as long for half as much) causes major accuracies in the very black and white statistics.

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Indeed it can, very easily. But if you're unhappy about businesses which are paying below minimum wage then why don't you report them? If you've just heard about these from friends, why don't you encourage them to report these businesses?

Not roughly, poorly. The eastern europeans and the poles know that if you can work for ~£6 an hour and live an OK life on that that's good. I have a friend who's youngest memory is waiting in a line at their local shop trying to buy some bread, just as her and her mum did every day - that shop that never had anything but vinegar left in it by the time they got to the front of the daily queue. One of her parents went and took a poorly paid job in Austria, away from the family, but was glad to take it because it meant he could send food packages home so his family could eat. Another friend of mine's parents had everything taken from them by the government and have spent the last 60 years working crappy jobs in London to eek by a living when they had the largest businesses in their industry back home before the government took it from them. These people have had tough lives, their parents even more so. The neds on the street who got smacked around once or twice as kids and couldn't have the latest football strip every season? They're just spoilt brats with no sense of responsibility and a huge sense of entitlement - it's through rubbish parenting that they are that way, but nevertheless they are that way.

It's enough money. I work a poorly paid job, I work my arse off, and I work very long hours at times. I stand out amongst the few other natives in my company because most of them are lazy and have a terrible work ethic.

It's not twice as long for half as much, it's the time paid for the wage promised. Generally that's minimum wage for long hours, and you're expected to work those hours. That means going to the toilet in your breaks, turning up on time, not leaving 5-10 minutes early, and not slacking just because the boss isn't round. In my experience the vast majority of Brits are terrible at this, and the vast majority of other EU citizens are very good on this front. There are exceptions, I count myself as one of them, but in general it stands.

4. hellblazer.doom

Youve taken my post and gone through everything and nitpicked, especially the twice as long for half as much statement. It was meant in a good way and the only thing I could think of at the time.

C'mon man, I was agreeing with most of what you said and you pick my post apart? :( hehe Your taking everything quite literally.

Can I ask you a question? Do you think having money or being rich automatically makes you a good parent? It's the attitude alot seem to have. Because they are common, little money, drug users and criminals(apparently, all of them), does this make them bad parents?

I have a feeling most people tend to mark people as good and bad? Well opinions differ, one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter and all that..

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I'm not having too much of a go buddy, don't take it as me personally having a go :)

Will edit later to respond properly.

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It doesn't feel like it some days, but I'm told that it is, in the grand scheme of things ;)

7. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

Having read all the posts it kind of seems like everyone is agreeing and going in circles. I think the general consensus is there are jobs if you look hard enough....

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I know; I was one of them. I came to the UK a newly qualified clinical psychologist to find work. At the time I was homeless and lived in a B&B on some savings from last year. I got a full-time job doing the same work as my UK colleagues but for 60% of the pay because I was not officially UK qualified and hence paid as a trainee, while on top of that I did additional training for the Statement of Equivalence, which would validate my qualifications in the UK (all that equivalence of qualifications in the EU crap doesn't work as well as you'd think). That took about six years --twice as long as full-time university training for a UK psychology trainee. 'Cause I had to wedge it between a full-time job, see? And when I say full-time, I mean NHS full-time: 37.5 hours paid, but 45 hours worked.

Meanwhile I saw my colleagues buy nice cars, buy homes, settling down in a secure career. I did the same job, but on much less pay, rented a flat, drove a third-hand Vauxhall Nova and juggled work with additional training demands. To fail the exams would mean end of career --you only get one shot at it. But I put up and got on with it: it was still a job and a path to a career. So yeah, been there, done that, cry me a river.

No, but there is a significant correlation between good parenting and doing well in life. A child who has been parented well, does well in life and is also a better parent to their own offspring. Generally for every person who crawled out of poverty and made something of themselves, there was a parent figure (parent, grandparent or even teacher) pushing them upwards.

That does not mean that there aren't exceptions. Rich dysfunctional families exist plenty. But as the Chinese say: wealth does not last longer than three generations. It's because the third generation forgets about all the hard work of the first two, takes it all for granted and loses it again. Only the relatively functional families prosper over a long time.

PS: I'm 45. At 24 you are all wet-behind-the-ears whippersnappers. :p

Last edited: 12 Aug 2011
    Mik3yB @ CCL likes this.
  9. Ola.l

Ola.l What's a Dremel?

Offtopic but lol, I expected you to be a well educated 20-30 year old guy! Mind blown etc.

10. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

+1

11. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

You should try and live in Denmark. You need a qualification in how to apply to a job and if you get an interview you've probably down a masters degree. Even for McDonalds.

Somehow despite being layed off twice during the downtime when one company imploded and one went bankrupt, I've managed to get a job again within 3 months. Luckily I have 9 years of experience and I think that and the right attitude, count for a lot.

12. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I enjoyed the OP, well done :)

I didn't enjoy the people you suck the fun out of a room at a party afterwards :<

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Oh, crap. Do I come across as that immature? :worried:

:p

14. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Sorry Nexxo, it seems we've rubbed off on you :D

15. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I just saw a local job in a chip shop, minimum wage of course.

"Must have experience working on a counter in a chip shop".... Lol.

You even need experience to work in a stupid chippy what are young people meant to do?

16. hellblazer.doom

Just out of curiosity how long ago was all this^^

Oh and :waah:.... Theres your river :hehe:

17. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

So i see i have been flamed with my comment "no jobs"
    So, I live in Nottingham, i would travel south Yorkshire, east/central derby, all of Nottingham ect to gain work. I search in all of there's areas weekly and apply for around 10 or more jobs a week where i rarely get a reply and over a year only had 3 interviews.

Im also Vegan, in which i refuse to work in a business/companies that take advantage of animals or humans (so, i will not be involved with meat, eggs, milk, animal testing and so on).

Vegans have the same legal rights as religion rights in a work place... for example, you would not ask a Muslim to work with Pigs/alcohol ect.
    So this means that yeas i slimming my chance's of employment but there's are my genuine beliefs and ill stand by them till the day i die.

I have spent 4 years at college studying computer science to help me find work, but did not help a single bit as every single job want EXPERIENCE!! iv even said to multiple jobs ads that i will work for NOTHING, but still do not even get my foot in. This is not to say i only apply for IT related job, i apply for everything and anything i can that does not conflict with my Vegan morals.

I don't sit on my ass all day every day, I'm up to all sorts trying to make the world a better place for all of us.. I'm involved in animal rights, humans rights, and Anti-fascism and MORE... which is a hell of a lot more than most of you i bet!

bodkin, Joining the Force's is not an option for me, i don't agree with the current wars we are in, and do not support the government, so would not like to die for it.

18. Canon

Canon Reformed

So, it's an employers market at the moment, rather unfortunately for all those seeking work. This means an employer can quite comfortably set the 'requirements' on their job listings much higher than usual because they know that with unemployment figures as high as they are, there are no doubt going to be people with qualifications and experience that meet those requirements but are prepared to do a simple, general, semi-skilled or totally unrelated job for considerably less pay than they would have expected during their further education.

This is more the case now because many of these young qualified individuals find themselves with a family to support or a home to keep, wether it be a high mortgage or high rent costs in any of the UK's major cities, not to mention all the little things that tot up over time, when you think about all the graduates and university students that perhaps use contract mobile phones, have a lot of consumer electronics in their homes pushing their electric bills through the roof, the money has to come from somewhere. Employers know that amongst us there are people willing to do a job that they are over qualified for and perhaps even underpaid, although I would agree that there are people out there unwilling to apply for a job because they simply don't feel like doing that job at the time however I would argue this is the smaller minority of the unemployed at the moment.

I myself struggle like hell to support myself and do my bit for any other family member of mine that is in a spot of trouble, financially speaking. Yes, I do treat myself to items that I do not require (mostly hardware) to live with, however this is about the ONLY thing I can now afford to do, I frequently have to turn down offers to go out for a drink, to get involved in activities that I was previously very involved with. The worst part of this is that I had to try and try and try and try again just to get to where I am now and i'll admit, I really struggled even though I felt I was good enough, I've done things most people my age refuse to do, i've had training that will stay with me for life and has already been put to very good effect, I've worked in more areas than some people twice my age. But this is the way things are for some of us and we should all just remember that there are people out there that would sacrifice a limb just for the opportunity to be where we are and live like us.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2011
  19. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Can mods close please?

I wanted to make a funny not discuss the ins and outs of why not all of us have jobs.

Those who dont have jobs and want one - im sorry this is the case.

Those who have jobs and dont want one - im sorry this is the case.

Those who have jobs and want them - Well done. (for either the hard work you have put in, or being at the right place at the right time - or a culmination of both)

Im fortunate enough to have a job I love, and im fortunate enough to have maintained 0 time unemployment in the last 10 years. I count my blessings every day for this - and also give back alot to all the organisations im fortunate enough to work for.

For those of you who havent got a job and are still pumping time and effort into my thread which was supposed to make people laugh in this pretty glum time (here in the uk anyway) - instead of putting effort into argueing in this thread, get yourself on monster, jobsite, reed, huntress, adecco, book yourself with a temp agency and get yourself more training. IT wise, microsoft offer loads of great free courses on the Microsoft Virtual Academy or the open uni do a **** tonne of free courses. Failing that, volunteer - make yourself an attractive proposition for a potential employer. Just think - at an interview, and its down to the last 2 people, you, who have been trying to find work for 6 months and someone else who has been trying to find work for 6 months, but spends 30 hours a week volunteering.... Its little things that make you stand out. Failing that further, try to keep a reflective journal of your accomplishments and achievements you have made since being out of work. (reflective journal's are great - I have kept one for every job I have ever had.)

20. Canon

Canon Reformed

There's maybe one person in this thread that has mentioned being unemployed and it doesn't seem so much a complaint as he or she is discussing how that is at this moment in time. Personally I think this is one of the best threads I have read in a while from some of the responses.