1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage HDD Prices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Behemoth, 21 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

£212 on ebuyer atm

Ouch. Hope peoples drives dont fail.

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

TOP TIP: CEX has hard drives still listed at reasonable prices. Second hand 1.5TB at arouns £55? Sounds good to me. If that's what they're listed at, that's the price you pay i believe. Get em while you can. (if you can :wallbash:)

specofdust likes this.
  3. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

That is a good tip.

4. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Did see some in there basing stoke branch other day.. if you need the odd drive think out side the box. If you need 20 your in a expensive place

5. Another_level

Another_level What's a Dremel?

Lots of people (news articles, retailers) are pointing the finger at the distribution channels for the high prices of HDDs.

How long will it be when CEOs of companies like Intel and AMD point their fingers at you, the distribution channels, for their revenue losses?

As long as people refuses to buy HDDs at their current prices then eventually prices will come down.

6. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

People are not refusing though are they, there calling up everyday begging for stock allocation.. our customers buy hdd to make money on. not to use in there own PC at home.. they can't refuse can they unless there gonna go on holiday for the quarter.

Now when u gonna shut up.. I know y buy price from Seagate.. i know how many times its gone up.. and i know my sell price... so unless im stupid and not realizing that im making a massive margin i fail to see how u can tell me different. Articles are from people talking to retailers etc who say there pricing has gone up from there suppliers aka distribution.. people only know what the next person up the chain from them has done. I know what the next run up from that is.

Now stop chatting rubbish.. its so irritating and quite frankly i couldn't care if u never bought a HDD again.. your one man refusal to buy HDD aint gonna make no difference. Even if the whole enthusiast builder market refused it still wouldn't make a difference. for every million drives a 1000 at most go to this market. HDD go other places than scan you know. can you not understand this PEOPLE USE HDD IN THERE PRODUCTS THAT THEY SELL TO MAKE A INCOME, THEY WILL BUY IT AT ANY PRICE AS LONG AS THEY CAN STILL MAKE A INCOME. PRICING AVERAGE JOES OUT THE MARKET FOR NOW!

Now please shut up with your 3rd 4th hand information, you read it on the internet.. i hear it from the HDD manufacturers direct, I know what distributors are doing as i work for one. and for that matter know that im selling at costs way more reasonable than my competition.. Tell me what you do? HDD Pricing expert

7. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

This is just so incorrect, it’s just not worth going to the effort to explain why.

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Yep, it was explained to him x times that the production in this quarter will be probably lower than the hard drive "consumption" of computer builders.

9. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Your so deluded its unbelievable really.

10. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

If we stop buying HDD's it aint gonna change anything, us end users who buy one or two are nothing compared to massive companies that buy loads at a time, and even companies like dell who need HDD's for their systems.

They will still make money on a system, just not as much as before, but profit is profit to them at the end of the day.

11. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Got my 2TB Seagate drive delivered from Amazon today. £75 when ordered last week, it looks like it's becoming a little bargain!

12. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

Just brought 2 1tb external hard drives from argos for £65 when I get them my screwdriver will be ready...

13. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Saw some retail boxed drives in Comet the other day, green power WD 500 gig were £45 each or 1TB models were £59 each.

14. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Well thats my storage sorted, just bought two HD204UI (Samsung F4 2TB)

15. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

16. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm, that wouldn't be a bad offer :D

17. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

No wonder they just sold Comet for £2.

18. rob the bank

I think the new buyer had to also throw in £50 million to pay of the debts and keep it running.
    Add to that Best buy is closing all the UK stores, and it shows the real state of the UK tech economy, (no profiteering their then, in fact no profit at all).

19. Starlance

Starlance What's a Dremel?

Dang it, one of my HDDs is getting full, was looking at the 2TB HDD's to come down just alitte more when they were still at £55-£60 range. Obviously the market is just too ridiculous now, going to have to wait it out till March-April i guess if what ppl are saying here about Feb when production is restored to the norm. :wallbash:

20. rob the bank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.