1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress D33P THOUGHT, ..COMPLETE..FINAL PICS+VID

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Asouter, 21 Jan 2012.

?

Hoopy or Tart3 handbag

Poll closed 16 Apr 2012.
  1. Hoopy

95.5%
  2. Tarts handbag

4.5%
  1. Conica

Conica What's a Dremel?

Like the look of this :)

Are you mounting the Rads in the corners, With the rads blowing through and out of the case or with the rads pulling air into the case?

2. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Did you actually do all this work with a dremel ?
    That must have smelled really good !!! :geek:
    Flame polishing is the best for large amounts of work, and will give you a spectacular result!
    There's loads of youtube vids on the topic and a small burner can be scored for a decent price.

3. Asouter

Asouter --------

A lot of the cuts were done with the dremel, especially the longer ones. However it does has it's limitations but have found some of the attachments very useful i.e the pillar drill and router table. I am finding that a decent saw is giving me a better edge finish but I do have a Linisher to sand down those edges. I will take the edges through a few grades of wet and dry paper and yes the flame polishing works a treat. Thanks for that tip. I'm using a gas soldering iron flame, it has a nice pencil type flame and does the job very nicely. I can't thank you enough for the tip, saves me fitting the polishing wheel to the bench grinder

4. Asouter

Asouter --------

UPDATE 23 JAN

We are proud to have new sponsors aboard Milliways
    [​IMG]

They have been very kind to have supplied me with a couple of drinks dispensers and an improbability interface. The dispensers I'm told (by Milliways) should be sprayed gold and have a slice of lemon wrapped around them. This apparently should deliver the desired effect of what my sponsors have in mind for the coolant. ???
    [​IMG]
    Decent sized drinks dispensers :)
    Here's what the guide has to say about the coolant.
    http://youtu.be/Boo9llCz4CM

I've sent Marvin to get the coolant and while he's doing that i'll update the progress, There's been a whole lot more cutting and drilling, I have started to build up the base and laid out the "bits" on the lower tray to give me a feel of where everything should go, This will also give me an idea of the size of brackets and where i'm going to house the new goodies.
    [​IMG]

More to do so....STAY COOL AND FROODIE

Last edited: 25 Jan 2012
  5. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Dude, looking good !
    Double pumps, what king of watersytem have you in mind :rock:

Small tip, go with it or not, your choice !
    Got 10 pounds? Go online and score a second hand tripod for your camera.
    It will make you pics so much more beautifull , and we love beautifull pics !
    Sponsors will love that too !

6. Asouter

Asouter --------

It's a tricky one, the Rads will be mounted on the corners and as for pushing air into the case, it'll pull dust in, but given the nature of the case and it being very open, I'm guessing I'll be doing a lot of dusting. You're now going to ask me about maintenance aren't you ?

Access to the case will be through the top and also through the front, the cooling towers will be hinged , nope not a clever design but a co-incidence as the threaded rods used to clamp the plexi together will act as a natural hinge

Cheers

7. Asouter

Asouter --------

Twin rads, twin reservoirs (those are at the engravers) the first loop will cool the processor and a rampage 3 mobo, the second loop will cool 3 6970's

But most importantly I like symmetry :thumb:

8. Asouter

Asouter --------

Reservoirs have turned up

I've just had my reservoirs back from the engravers, I'm really happy about how they have turned out, especially as they weren't to keen to engrave on acrylic. After a few phone calls to say I'd like them to have a go and that I wouldn't be too upset if the material wasn't suitable, they finally done it and they are just as happy at the result as me.

The engraving was done at a local shop in Southampton... The Glass Lady
    They were extremely helpful and were very interested in the project which in the end shows through in the final result. there's a link below ..
    http://www.theglasslady.co.uk

Ok now for the pics, I've tried to show the detail as best I can and have tried a few backgrounds, please be a lil patient the photography skills are still developing (developing get it ?)

[​IMG]
    The reservoirs are from Phobya, 50 mm diameter and 250 mm in length, Gold plated as I wanted to have a drinks glass kinda effect.

OK so now a few pics to try and get the detail through, the first doesn't show up but it does show off the reservoirs
    [​IMG]

The next is against a fairly light background you can see the detail and the gold that was rubbed into the lettering to bring the design through,
    [​IMG]

and finally against a dark background, it does come through fairly clear but the pics don't do them justice, once an LED light is shone through the reservoir the design will really jump out.

[​IMG]

Next I'll be working on those pumps .....Stay cool and Froodie

9. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Definate upgrade in the photography section dude !
    Good job, within no time you be a pro, LOL!

Love the engraving !
    Its like being hit with a gold brick wrapped in a slice of lemon !
    Nice detail!

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

what thing build really needs to get it flying is a really hot cup of tea ;)

11. Conica

Conica What's a Dremel?

Those Reservoirs are pretty...

12. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks Asphiax, It's not until you start taking pics yourself that you realise just how much effort goes into the project logs, I'm chuffed with the engraving it's exactly what I had in mind. Luckily the girl who engraved the reservoirs had read the books too. Just brilliant

Last edited: 28 Jan 2012
  13. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks Conica, I'm hoping that when the coolant and the LEDs are in that it'll really shine.

14. Asouter

Asouter --------

Hahahaha, yup A fresh hot cup of tea is definitely needed :)

15. Asouter

Asouter --------

Just sprayed the pumps, they've come out ok but not 100% about the colour. The original plan was to make up a lemon twist and attach them to the pump but after having done a few mock ups with paper, I've decided that it'll look naff. Pity really as it'd finish off the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster theme for the cooling, but at the end of the day I still want to have a quality feel about the build. The twist of lemon may be a mod too far...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Jan 2012
  16. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

So very pretty, love that watercooling gear!
    Also, project log, y u only have 2 stars!? Will rate for you now. :thumb:

17. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks KidMod, Not sure about the rating system. It is my first scratch project, so there is going to be some kinda learning curve on keeping the project log. The rating system is a bit faceless I'd much rather have the feedback (good or bad) but each to their own. Glad you like the cooling kit.

18. Asouter

Asouter --------

UPDATE 29 JAN

I've had the radiators and fans turn up, I will post pics later but for now I have been cutting the towers that will house them, There is a lot of acrylic to cut, no really there's LOTS. I did get a router table for the Dremel and it's made very short work of the internal cuts
    [​IMG]

Which has left me with a whole pile of finishing to do..
    [​IMG]

This is gonna take a very long time, around 45 minutes a piece and with in excess of 150+ pieces to polish I have a small Dremel work bench so I can sit in front of the TV and get cracking with finishing all that polishing.
    [​IMG]

The finished result is worth the time spent in front of the TV ....
    [​IMG]

I have lots to do so, will take breaks and post picks of the rads in the next update.

19. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

Great job! :thumb:

What kind of bench was that you used to cut the acrylic?

20. Asouter

Asouter --------