1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

got 2 repair tool kills earlier and my first knife kill :)

got 1 repair tool kill on a person and the other kill on a LAV

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

That's what I said, DO IT NAAAAOOW!!

3. Sarica21coy

Sarica21coy What's a Dremel?

Anyone used the L85????

4. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Trying to get to grips with jets and just sucking painfully, can't seem to locate a target, let alone line up my guns... :miffed:

Just came across this

Deep envy

Sorry if a repost

Anyone got any good tips/guides for Jets - i'm playing with a wireless xbox controller if that helps.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2012
  5. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I'm useless in jets too. Heli all the way for me.

6. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

First of all I'd recommend ditching the controller. Instead use keyboard and mouse but bind pitch up to spacebar. That way you can make consistent perfect circles.

Then just practice flying like that at first. There's not necessarily any maneuvers you need to know, just get used to being able to control the jet how you want and adapt to the situation.

Right on to dogfighting. It's all about turning so what you want to do is be able to make the smallest turn possible in order to get behind your opponent. To do that you need to keep you speed at the optimum 310 which you can see on the right in first person view.

First you want to practice doing that on horizontal circles (just tap the brakes every second or do). Once you get that right you should be able to take out at least some enemy pilots, especially if your turning is very good. The next stage is to do the same thing with vertical loops. However because of gravity you have to tap afterburner on the way up and hold brake as soon as you're going down. This will confuse most pilots and enable you to beat the vast majority. After that it's just learning how to keep around 310 no matter what sort of turn/maneuver you're doing. Then you can mix it up to try and cut off your enemy's turn and get behind them. Another thing is keeping that same speed in third person as you want to use third person pretty much all the time you're not aiming.

Also you want flares/ecm to protect yourself, air radar is a MUST and rocket pods are the best for taking out ground troops and armour.

There are loads of other things I haven't mentioned both more specific (like taking out ground support) and more basic. Feel free to ask.

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

8. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

This sounds like a good approach, I'm going to have a go and will report back!

9. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Lol telltale and I basically agree with each other as far as how people should train themselves on jets ^-^. That's a good thing since it means we've probably converged on the best way to fly a jet :p.

More details though:

1) Turning ability is an amazing asset, and it would allow you to beat most pilots in BF3. However, I've noticed recently that I've been facing more competent pilots in my dogfights. This may be because I'm still not used to the new brakes (I've isolated the problem that I felt with the control of the jet to they increased brake sensitivity), but it can also be because the game's been out long enough that more people are starting to become better pilots. Regardless of the cause, if you want to be an ace you need to know more than just how to turn.

2) Dogfights are only about half of what you should focus on as a jet pilot. If another jet's in the air you should probably make him your priority and get him down, but otherwise you should be looking at the ground (or at the enemy chopper). A jet flying around doing nothing just waiting for an enemy jet to come up won't be helping their team very much. Your first priority is to clear the skies, your second priority is to blow up vehicles, and your third priority is to go after random troops. The first and second priorities will take up 99% of your time unless the other team is very bad. When there's literally nothing else for you to do, then you should go after individual troops on the ground. Jets are not ideal troop killing machines :p.

3) In my post I talked about the extinguisher. Since the fix came out making the boost glitch with heat seekers useless, the extinguisher isn't half as useful anymore. You'd end up being a very impotent jet using it since you'd either be basically grounded (taking advantage of below-the-radar) or out somewhere far from the map waiting for your extinguisher to recharge. I've personally had a hard time using the ECM because of the shortened lock-on and trouble with my jet not telling me things are locking on to me until something's been fired, so I've gone back to good old flairs and UTR :p.

4) Back to dogfights, being an ace pilot in a dogfight means being able to predict your enemy's movements and maneuver yourself into his control zone (and stay there). This is the reason why the air radar is so important. It gives you a nice top-down view of the enemy jet's movements which you'll have to translate in your head to 3D movements. What distinguishes an ace from just a good pilot is the ability to use this information and choose the best maneuver to do. If you've got a good grasp of reading the air radar, planning ahead for enemy movements, and masterful control over your own plane, then you should be able to effectively take on 2+ jets (who only know how to turn) and at least take some down with you.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Not got a mic sorted yet. I'm a lazy fecker.

I knaaaaowww mate.

BTW, I could hear one solitary moaning voice quietly coming through my speakers last night - was that you? Every other second it was 'fecking this', 'fecking that'... :)

You'll both regret mentioning mumble, I can be a right whinging git. :lol:

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I can't play random games anymore. They're just far too frustrating. We lost a metro round by 200 tickets because the idiots didn't realize that they weren't skilled enough to attack A. If they'd have held B and actually had some situational awareness. We'd have won.

12. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I became hardened to this years ago having played a million rounds of CS, BFxxxx, UT, whatever. It's been the same since time began, at least, internet time.

13. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

might venture into the server later on...
    kinda bored of COD spawncampfest
    havent played much so i am a total noob ( but lets not just shout abuse at the new guy yeah ? )

picked it up a week or so after release...but didnt really like it much
    now im bored and need a new game to ( attempt ) to sink my teeth into

14. Digi

Best thing to do is come on mumble of an evening, we are not always to be found on the server but we are usually doing rounds on other servers, Aria's being one of them.

15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Good of you to join us last night Digi :)

Had some good games, but I am sorely unimpressed that tanks are now invulnerable to AAA cannon fire :/

They used to do sod all damage and it would take 4-6 salvoes to actually do anything to one, but to remove it completely? Silly.

16. Digi

I was unfortunately only on for 10 mins or so as I got DC'd (dodgy router) and then took a break. I'll keep trying with that HC stuff another day.. :)

17. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I will be online later this afternoon. Currently dodging a hangover :) plus got my family round for Sunday dinner. Happy hunting fellas!

18. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Well then you know why half the ppl on mumble have me muted :lol:

Will be good to have some competition in the raging dpt. :D

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

:thumb:

I generally whinge more than rage - although that does happen but mainly if my team is hanging around the base or just being general numbnuts.

Like today, managed to kill a guy fixing his tank, stole his tank (not fully fixed), asked for repair while there was no fire, everybody was safe, no threats whatsoever. What happens? Two frickin engineers run straight past me, within feet of the frickin tank. Had to ditch it. :eyebrow:

That's what winds me up but I'm sure you'll understand once I get a mic sorted. :D

Anyhoo, shiny shiny medal came my way today - while being accused of using an aimbot as well. Gotta just love weekend gamers. :duh::lol:

So that explains it! Never knew that. I wondered what was going on, I'd been pelting tanks with it when team tanks needed helping out, the AAA could help just tip the balance if they were having trouble.

Jeez, no wonder my accuracy % took a nosedive.

20. Digi

Just played a few rounds of CoD: MW3 with my son. He's been begging me to play with him all weekend, it's a free weekend on steam, but I knew it would be horrible so I've been avoiding it. It took precisely 30 minutes before I wanted to pound some little ***** face in to his own monitor. Killstreaks remove any skill from the game and the shoddy gfx and the gun balance from some kind of kids book just adds a cherry or 2. And to think I played MW1 (CoD4) competitively and loved it. How does it come to this/that?