1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Just bought an Alienware M18X R2 (£3.5K inc extras) - (3920XM Installed Page 13!!!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 20 Jun 2012.

1. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

He even gets to go to Disneyland, he is splashing a lotta cash. Although he should max out the holiday and go Disney World. You gotta upgrade!

2. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

A fine choice of card you have made there :) That's just about what mine do. Over 80 gpu 1 used to drop to 1110 due to suffocation.

Underwater they never go below 1150 stock and I run them at 1200~ anyway

hamza_tm and Pookeyhead like this.
  3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You 2 are forgetting that your cards are SC which are far from a vanilla card. Also you will have a high flowing rear bracket which helps maintain lower temps. Also not forgetting where your chip came from on the die can result in higher boost clocks and lower temps. So again, this can result in you being within the threshold to maintain boost all the time.

I'm sure when reading around you will find cards dropping to the stock core once temps get to the threshold. :)

Also you need to bare in mind that anyone running 3Dmark 11 etc will OC their cards to get maximum performance, so yes N17 - your score will look low to the norm.

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Jul 2012
    Pookeyhead likes this.
  4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Maintain lower temps with SC cards? I said that mine on air hit 85c because it was suffocated and still boosted beyond the manufacturers stated boost speed.

Me being right near the bottom of that graph is because I was the only person that had lowered my speed by 250Mhz, obviously!!!

I'm sorry to fall out with you T_G but this feels more like an exercise in trying to belittle high end Nvidia desktop cards for someone who has an AMD laptop.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Well, we can all agree that a single 670/680, will always provide a better gaming experience than any two mobile GPUs, even at 'stock' - which, by the way I agree with Dizzi on, and should include the boost, since its ships on all cards by default. If you read Techreports in depth article, you'll see that in BF3 (arguably the ultimate real world test of a GPU) "the chip spent most of its time at about 1.1GHz—above both the base and boost levels."

No 50ms+ frame renders (common complaint with any SLI/X-Fire setup), less noise, and far better bang for buck.

You don't buy a gaming laptop to get the fastest speeds (never going to happen), and as a value proposition, its pretty terrible too, but, the 7970m are nevertheless impressive....... for a laptop GPU.

No doubt when TG decides he wants to play with the big boys again, he'll be back to 4GB 680's!

N17 dizzi likes this.
  6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Lol. :D

Hahaha. Disneyland first this year, then Egypt next year. So Disney World and the rest around the international drive is on the agenda for the yr after. :)

You're taking this to heart, when all I'm doing is seeing where the 7970m's fit in with the desktop GPU's.

You're now quoting me to be a fanboy of AMD? I only buy what ever is faster at the time of making my purchase, so obviously I went for the 7970m's because they were the fastest GPU on the market at that time, and almost double the speed of NVidia's offering.

At the end of the day, boosting is OCing (Whether you except that or not. That is how I and many others see it.) This is why I wanted to see what the GTX 670 is like at its base clock of 915MHz, which you showed me. Thank you. :)

So by going by the base clocks of mine and yours, we can see that the 7970M's are very fast for a mobile GPU. (I am not dissing NVidia's desktop GPU's at all. As I have to admit, I prefer NVidia).
    So as soon as you go over that base clock of 915MHz it is boosting (OCing it's self).

So this is now water under the bridge, so lets move on and keep this thread a friendly place. :)

You do buy the fastest gaming laptop for the best experience in a truck. :D

And yes, when the time comes, and things change, which they do in life...I will get another desktop, to keep the trend going. :)

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Jul 2012
  7. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Not to heart but I do take issue with what your saying as I own 670s and what you are saying is inaccurate.

Whether you accept it or not. GPU boost is a feature designed and implemented by the card manufacturer to increase card performance in relation to the TDP etc. It is not overclocking, as in, something that used to void a warranty not so long ago. I and many others see it that way.

I posted the 915 run, underclocking my offset by 250Mhz, because you asked me and I consider you a friend on this board, not so you can have a stick to beat 670 owners with.

I'm happy to move on, water has flowed any time you like, if you stop with this line that GTX670 or 680s by default run at their base clocks. Because they do not.

Carry on with the thread by all means :thumb:

Last edited: 10 Jul 2012
    Parge likes this.
  8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You've slightly gone off the rails - where am I beating 670 owners with a stick...:D

670/680's come with as you say a boost feature, which in it own class is self OCing. (Call it what you will, but it's still OCing. No different to Intel's turbo feature which also gives it an advantage).:)

So back to the point - you showed me what the 670's have done at its base clock. And you have clearly expressed yourself after doing it, prior to you flaunting your ego when cranking up the clocks, when all I wanted was to see a fair comparison...

So now it is time for others to read through and judge for them selfs, and so we should leave it as that. :)

Still friends. :)

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Jul 2012
  9. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Yeah I did flaunt a bit, but hey you are the king of flaunting so don't hold that against me! :D

Still friends, agree to partially disagree :)

Teelzebub likes this.
  10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Very true mate. :D

I'm glad we came to a mutual agreement. :D

Also peeps love us flaunting our stuff, as they get to see results without them splashing the cash. :D

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Jul 2012
    Teelzebub likes this.
  11. merter

merter What's a Dremel?

I'm well overdue an upgrade... really wish I was buying one of these instead of a new house :|

12. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Lol you cant live in a laptop.

N17 dizzi likes this.
  13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Don't listen to him! Of course you can! I do what I want! I'm an ADULT!! :D

On the other hand, I'm mighty jealous of this. But that much money is more than a tad excessive. And no IPS screen for the lose.

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Benchmarks: i7 3720QM @ 3.8GHz - GPU's @ Stock.

Cinebench 11.5
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SuperPi
    [​IMG]

Geekbench
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Jul 2012
  15. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Pffft... Windows Experience Index is the benchmark for REAL MEN. ;)

Very nice dude, and yes, I am jelly!

16. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Such an awesome lappy, such a shame they don't have a matt screen option, I just couldn't get on with the screen when I had my 17 R3 - had to sell it. Just too reflective in almost all light conditions :(

17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yes WEI is the ultimate test! XD.

Thanks Mate. :)

Very true, but did you know that behind the glass screen is a anti glare panel. (Read it on another forum as someone else strip his back).

I have managed to fine some anti glare film for it. So that will be going on when it comes. :)

Vantage with 1 GPU @ Stock- CPU @ 3.8GHz

[​IMG]

Vantage with both GPU's @ Stock - CPU @ 3.8GHz

[​IMG]

My new CPU 3920XM arrived this morning, so will putting that in some time today with pics to follow. But first I have to redecorate my Daughter's bedroom ready for her new High sleeper bed to come tomorrow. :)

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Installing the 3920XM in to my Lappy. :)

Where to start...
    [​IMG]

:idea: Remove the keyboard. :D
    [​IMG]

Flip it back over and start undoing all the screws...:yawn:
    [​IMG]

Removing the Screen.
    [​IMG]

Removal of the palm rest. Which was a pain in the bum, trying not to break the plastic clips. But with a bit of time and patients, no harm was caused. :D
    [​IMG]

Oh look! That will be the 3920XM...:D
    [​IMG]

Came specially delivered from OCUK this morning! Thanks Andy. Top service as always! :)
    [​IMG]

Taking the 7970M out to remove the heatsink and add some MX2 to it instead. :)
    [​IMG]

Heatsink removed!:)
    [​IMG]

Doing the same to the other 7970.:)
    [​IMG]

Now putting it all back together. Believe it or not, this was the most hardest bit of putting it back together. The stupid cable to the keyboard was so fiddly, it took me 30mins to get the bloody thing in. But we got there in the end. :)
    [​IMG]

And to finish off, heres a Bios screen shot. :)
    [​IMG]

Oh just one more thing, and I know this will piss off a few peeps. :D

CPU OC'ed to 4.2GHz on all cores.(Now need to get the Dual copper heatsink for the CPU, to clock it further.)
    Muahahaha!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Clicky

19. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

SuperPi 3720QM @ 3.8GHz vs 3920XM @ 4.2GHz
    [​IMG]

20. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

^^^^^

You sir have Cajones the size of space hoppers :D

I tip my hat to your bravery and dedication to the overclocking cause - and am very jelly of the monster laptop, my wife is bored of hearing about your exploits now :rolleyes: