1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Revelation (2/12 Final photos and video!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by quizz_kid, 14 Jun 2013.

1. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

I know the cable management pain. I am having a similar problem trying to shoehorn too many cable into a tight space on my build. Interested to see (steal!) your solution.

If you have spent 1000 hours on this and you plan to sell it on your site then what price would you have to charge to make it financially viable?!! :eeek::eeek:

2. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

Well, as you can guess, it's not financially viable, at all =)

I'm basically losing money, but hey, this is one of those projects I guess. AND, I'm having fun building it!

Update:

Been having issues with the transparent LCD. I don't know if the PCB is damaged or something. It worked a week ago, but now it will not operate. With the original 5v power supply, nothing happens. The LED on the supply lit when connected to the wall, but starts to blink as I plug it into the LCD. When I then tried using a 5v line from the PSU instead, the LCD works. But after a few seconds, I smell somethings burning, I see a little smoke coming from the LCDs PCB and I disconnect it. Did this 3 times, trying to locate the damage somehow.

Here's a close up of the PCB. It was hard to determine the source of the smoke, but it's one of the component inside the red circles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the original plug connected(used the same plug when using 5v line on PSU), and you can see that is does not go all the way in. I don't think it has anything to do with it, but I need all the help I can get here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts? :sigh::sigh::sigh:

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Not got a clue mate but I think it's normal for the plug to not go all the way in looking at the other socket on the board means it usually has a case which accounts for the little space but I have no idea on why it is having a technical fault, hope someone else knows or you find a solution, keen to see what kind of awesomeness you have in mind for that part.

Nice progress BTW, I don't remember turning updates off but they were set to off, wondered why I wasn't getting any updates. :lol:

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

My thought are "that totally blows goats". gutted for you mate.

5. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

normally that coil and 2 little parts(guessing resistors) should not get warm as they are rather passive components so easiest way to test it is to feel if that big coil gets significantly warm, most of the time it is a transistor or ic that breakes down rather than a coil, resistor or capacitor(nowadays)

so maybe the smoke comes from the transistor right next to the circles. but that would be my guess since you dont see any pcb damage anywere.

6. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Yeah, it really sucks! Just hope I can fix it...

Thanks, let's just hope for a solution...

I'm going to look into that tomorrow, thanks... I just don't get why the 550W PSU turns it on, while the original powerbrick doesn't? Both are 5V(5.3-5.6V)

7. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Ok, some really good news. The LCD works! I connected the original 5V brick again today, and it worked(?) Have no idea why it didn't work yesterday, but who cares, it works. I decided to with Skyrips hunting tips, and my results: Big coil AND transistor got really hot in matter of seconds. Still had a hard time finding which one generating the smoke, but I'd put my money on the transistor. Anyway. When I disconnected>connected a second time, it was gone. No heat, no smell, no smoke... It works like new (?)

I have no idea what happened here, but it works again and I'm happy with that =)

8. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

maybe you cooked it just right :p electronics are like magic, you have to do the trick yourself to know how it works :p

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Can agree to that :D good to hear it's working. :)

10. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

I can't seem to finish this one! So many issues in the end, and I've got a big one right now. While working on Revelation, I have to keep it upside down due to the construction. Everything works fine upside down. But as soon as I flip it around, I cant get it to boot. I get the classic start up with everything's running for 5 secs, no display, then reboots, over and over again. What could be the issue here?

I have no ideas, at all. Something is triggered when I flip the computer around I guess, but what? So strange, because everything seems to be in place. I'm desperate, and open for any guesses right now.

:sigh::sigh::sigh:

11. Asouter

Asouter --------

Hi Squid,

I think it might be a short on your power on button or reset button .... or cables to those buttons

12. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Hmm... But why would it only short when flipped over, there's no pressure on the cable or anything. Can check it tomorrow though

13. Asouter

Asouter --------

It's just a thought :)
    I had a similar problem, with a sticky power button and had the exact same symptoms (boot up kept looping)
    It'd be worth checking out if only to eliminate the suggestion. Hope you get it sorted man

14. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

The issue is sorted out, finally. It was one of the RAM sticks actually. During first leak test I must've been sloppy, and a single drop of fluid got into the RAM connectors.

Got new sticks now, and I'm back on track. I can finally finish this beast...

I made a refill using the new fillport on top.
    [​IMG]

And then I made a backplate in stained ply for final touch.
    [​IMG]

Final pictures coming up next!!

15. Asouter

Asouter --------

Pheeew Glad you got it sorted Squid, It's looking really good and I'm looking forward to those final pics

16. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks Asouter, me too =)

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Awesome news. :D
    And that must have been a difficult fault to pin point.

18. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Took me about two weeks :D

19. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

I hate electronics sometimes. It makes no sense what so ever to me that a drop of fluid of the RAM sockets could cause the LCD PCB to overheat. But anyway, glad it's sorted out. Reeeeeaaaally looking forward to the final pics, which, of course, will be awesome. :)

20. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Hi.

Firstly, I wanted to tell you that your woodworking skills are out of this world and truly inspirational. The accuracy and attention to detail do you great credit, as someone who has done a little working with wood in the past.

Secondly I am wondering whether you can remember where you got your long riser cables from? Maybe you could send me a link to their site as I am going to be looking for some long ones soon.

Many thanks.

Pete