Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I bought a Caberg twin visor flip-up helmet about five years ago after being pulled over twice for using a dark visor, it solved that problem and the dark inner visor is set back inside and well protected so even after five years it still looks like new, I wear distance glasses when riding and the flip-up makes putting the glasses on real easy, no more wrecking glasses and bending them around trying to get them on :rolleyes:

As for cigars, you gotta watch that hot ash in the eye :waah:

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Went for my geared conversion. Felt a lot more comfortable with clutch tbh, just need to sort out a few bad habits and get to grips with the controls (for some reason, I feel like down a gear should be a click up and vice-versa).

Ended up splurging a little on kit. Got a Nitro F341-VN flip-up (was going to get a full face, but this was the only thing that fitted over my hearing aids) and then a deal on gloves, trousers and jacket for £170 (G-mac branded, doubt it's any good, but it was cheap and should tide me over until I get some proper gear).

3. RTT

RTT #parp

I had this. My brain seemed to associate pressing down on the lever to make the engine do less, not more (for a constant road speed), so i switched to race shift and have always had it that way :thumb: Makes test-rides a bit scary though!

im currently back in standard shift though as the shop i got my new rear sets from forgot to include the adapter for race pattern -- very scary stuff

Last edited: 17 Jun 2014
  4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Doesn't help that I sometimes forget to declutch while changing gear. :worried:

5. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

You don't need to use the clutch going up the gears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I do that sometimes, clutchless up-shifting, if my left hand's busy (with my visor or something, nothing NSFW) but I always wonder whether it has the possibility of doing damage or excessive wear to the gearbox. Not really sure why/how it's possible :worried:

7. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

I believe that if you don't pre-load the gear lever, then you'll do zero wear on the gearbox. I think pre-loading wears the shift dogs lightly, but obviously over time this can lead to serious gearbox damage.
    I also tend not to go clutchless 1st-2nd, since you're going through neutral; not only that but it tends to be the biggest ratio difference in the gearbox.
    Another bit of hearsay that I've picked up is that you shouldn't clutchless unless you're ragging it, sorta makes sense but I don't really follow that. Clutchless can be so smooth at low speed...:naughty:

8. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

You can do it at any speed - I do it in the car as well, especially when cruising on the motorway

9. RTT

RTT #parp

Even downshifts can be done clutchless smoothly, but it's a bit harder to judge and it doesn't always go (with my box anyway). Except for 1st-2nd, I almost never use the clutch going up the box (lever doesn't even need pre-loading, it's insanely compliant)

10. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

True, but this is much harder to judge properly.

11. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Spotted near me for sale, a KTM 990 Superduke. Thinking of test riding it tomorrow. Want, know I shouldn't buy though, it'll kill me.

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Does anyone have an opinion on the Aprilia RS125?

Seems expensive and probably sounds like a lawnmower, but still...

13. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

I actually kinda like the sound of the ol' 125 sport bikes and the 250s like the nsr.

If you're looking for sport bikes in the 125 range, the derbi gp does the trick at a lower cost.

14. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Any one think the mt-07 is good step up from a 125 varadero? wasn't allowed to test ride it as I'm still on a cbt. But the dealer told me how much I could expect to get for my varadero when I trade

15. julianmartin

Probably the best bike in it's class right now, if the reviewers are telling the truth.

16. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

You clearly know you want to :D

17. julianmartin

Leaving in a minute, first bike I'll ride in 18 months - I sure know how to pick em!

18. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Ride safe bro! Soon as you've got one we'll have to meet up! :)

19. julianmartin

I want a superduke.

But I'm not going to buy one. Amazing bike but so impractical. Still on the hunt for a CBR600...

20. RTT

RTT #parp

What's impractical about it?! My 950 was fan-****ing-tastic!

Edit: hard to get luggage on it or something? Genuinely struggling to think what's impractical about a SD990. Lack of fairing?

Last edited: 20 Jun 2014