1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ZdMods | Project 720 | Started on the top - Oct 17

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Meelobee, 12 Dec 2013.

1. -MisterX-

-MisterX- Minimodder

This just keeps getting better and better:) Great job!

2. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the great comments guys :)

[​IMG]

Progress is a bit slow lately because I didn't have as much modding time as I wanted and I was waiting for some of the parts I ordered to arrive.

First up is the controller panel, it now fits below the midplates and I've made the second panel from 1mm aluminium sheet which will sit in front of the controller panel. In between the alu panels will be a 3mm plexi sheet. from the inside I'll put in some leds, so the edge of the plexi will glow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The packages I've been waiting for contained the gpu blocks and some of the fittings I'll need for the loop. For the gpu's I chose the EK- FC R9 280X DCII Nickel Acetal blocks, with a pair of matching backplates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This thing is heavy :jawdrop:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first batch of fittings
    [​IMG]

I love these new 90degree corners, finally a nice single fitting for 90degree hard tubes :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something that bothered me in one of my previous builds (Inverted) is the gpu. Because of the weight/gravity the pcb of the gpu gets bend over time, to prevent this I came up with this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:dremel:

Last edited: 12 Jul 2014
  3. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Everything just fits in very well. I like the shaped panel in front of the sidepanel where the Aquaero is in. Makes it all blend in.

4. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

Very nice man!

5. Meelobee

Thanks man :) That was exactly the idea of that extra panel, to make it all blend in. There will be a same sort of panel on the side of the radiator covers.

Thanks Alderonn :)

6. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Gah it just looks sooooooooooo good. Very elegant solution for GPU sag also, few take the time to try sorting it (guilty as charged), even fewer manage to come up with an idea that actually looks decent too.

7. Meelobee

Thanks for the compliments Maki.:thumb:
    The sag bothers me everytime I look to my right and see the bend gpu on my Inverted build, so I just had to prevent it in my next main pc :)

8. Oozy

Oozy What's a Dremel?

Really impressive work. Can't wait to see the end reult.

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Love what you've done to keep the gpus level. Like breasts, gpus aren't as sexy when they're saggy.

10. Meelobee

Thanks Oozy & Crapman, I'm surprised noone came up with a similar gpu holder before :)

No updates on the build yet, I don't have much spare time at the moment as my wife is due for our second child this monday (aug 4)
    So my spare time has gone into preparing the kids room and helping out my wife. After the birth I'll have less sleeptime, but hopefully a bit more modtime :)

11. Meelobee

Here's the reason for the lack of updates

BT, meet Sofie, born last sunday :)

[​IMG]

12. leonetu

leonetu What's a Dremel?

Congrats! She's definitely a more important update than the mod :)

13. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

No shame in that reason for delay at all. Congratulations to you and your partner.

14. matiss

matiss Minimodder

Love the build and congratulations

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I did --designed one years ago. Just never built it. :D

I used a different solution in my PC:

[​IMG]

Your design is better though; more stable and flexible.

16. Meelobee

Thanks guys :)

Found some time for modding and I'm running into an issue with the loop.

[​IMG]

I can't run the tubes from the cpu/mobo straight down through the midplates because the psu is installed under the midplates. And there is no room for tubes. Using a 90degree fitting and a tube running to the left might be possible, but that will kill the clean look bewtween the plates, so I'd rather use another option (if any..)

The picture below has the ideal layout, but this loop has has the 2 gpu's in parallel, and I'm not sure if there will be enough flow for the cpu/mobo (I could skip the mobo if it means this setup will work) The pump used is an Aqualis D5, will this kind of loop work, or will I fry my cpu?

[​IMG]

17. Meelobee

Anyone?!

18. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

I'm not an expert but I don't think it's wise to have different blocks in parallel. I imagine the cpu/mobo combo (or even just the cpu) will be more restrictive than the gpu blocks with means you won't actually get much flow through the cpu. Follow the path of least resistance or however they say it in the fluid dynamics jargon. But then I'm not 100% about the restriction differences. If the cpu and gpu are close you may be ok.

I guess the best way is to route the cpu inlet from the top of the res with some right angle bends. Then go in series though the mobo and gpus and then go back to the rad. But it looks like your rad fittings are on going to be on the bottom so it'll still be messy.

19. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Without knowing numbers its diffacult to say exactly. If the GPU blocks offer a fair amount of resistance then the cpu and mobo could see enough flow to keep them cool.

If, on the other hand, the GPU blocks offer little resistance then most of the flow will be taken by them and not passed to the cpu/vrm's

As a general rule I put blocks in series as this means they all share the same flow rate.

Why not setup a basic loop (outside the case) with flexible tube and stress test the system? You can monitor the temps during the test and see how the system copes. As much thinking and working out as you can do, its all about how it happens in the real world :thumb:

20. Meelobee

Thanks for the input :)

I've send EKWB a mail to ask about the block restrictions, not much can be found online about the subject. Testing would be ideal, but unfortunately I don't have all hardware yet (cpu) and I don't have fittings for flextube.