1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Horns - 6/10

A psychological thriller/horror esque film starring Daniel Radcliffe. Pretty interesting, but poorly executed story. A guy accused of Raping and Murdering his Girlfriend suddenly grows horns, giving him powers that allow him to delve further into the mystery of who actually did it. The supporting cast is pretty decent, but the script is mediocre and you couldn't see much of their real talent. It's all over the place, really jumbled about.

There's some pretty good thoughtful, supernatural horror, but it's marred by an iffy script. Radcliffe himself is one of the film's only saving graces and proves he is more than just Harry Potter. The final closing scenes are pretty spectacular and there's some pretty good CGI being thrown about as well. A recommended watch if you like Supernatural or Suburban thrillers.

2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The LEGO Batman Movie - Remember that time with the two boats?/10

Meh... lots and lots of meh...

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The Lego Batman Movie - 8/10

I enjoyed it. It was Batman jokes, and surprisingly funny. Although perhaps a little heartwarming for my tastes generally, I'd watch it again.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

^ My son loves it and has already watched it twice since he got the DVD upon release. I sympathise with RedFlames on this one though... I don't see myself sitting through it like I did with the original Lego movie.

On a different note:

Spiderman (2002): 7/10

It's amazing how different a movie is when you re-watch it for the first time in years. CG special effects are dated, script is pretty terrible in places, and the Goblin character is just awful. Still, it'll always be the original Spiderman movie and it's got some great moments in it.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Original movie? 25 years too late! :p

It was my first trip to the cinema, with my dad.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2017
  7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It wasn't the worst Batman movie ever [it wasn't Batman and Robin]... the script and imo the animation were lacking compared to the LEGO movie, and while there a few decent moments on the whole I kinda felt like it was trying too hard...

But that said I was approaching it as a movie and not what it arguably was... a 100-ish minute long LEGO advert...

LennyRhys likes this.
  8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Aaaah... I didn't realise the old TV series started out as a movie - I watched the series in the 80s when I was a kid and I thought it was real. It was SOOO GOOD!

9. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Anime Series - One Outs - 9/10

A Psychological Baseball Thriller is the best way to describe this. A sneaky gambler who happens to be an amazing pitcher loses a bet and has to join a failing baseball team, controlled by a money hungry Corporate boss. Toua now has to contend with his boss trying to sabotage him as well as attempting to win, using psychological tactics. It's like Death Note or Liar Game, but with Baseball. It's possibly one the biggest Hidden Gems i've ever watched.

10. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

Hacksaw Ridge. 8/10. The action scenes made Saving Private Ryan look like Doctor Who but it skimmed some of the key parts of the build up. Very good overall though (despite my tendency to compare the rope scenes to Spiderman!)

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

John Wick 2
    Rather good / 10

The Hollow Point http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2918606/
    Never heard of it, trailer was crap, but it's got Lovejoy in it so I gave it a whirl.
    Simple, gritty, meandering tale, glad I found it.

Independence Day 2
    Utter utter utter shite.

War Dogs.
    True story about 20 something gun runners, comedy telling there of apparently.

Not as good as Lord of War, not even slightly funny anywhere at all ever.
    Give it a miss / 10

Suicide Squad.
    Brain out, kill 'em all, filmed in the dark, bloody terrible but good for 2 hours of pointless killing aliens, although it felt like a set up for character spin off movies ad infinitum and beyond

Batman V's Pooperman.
    Shower of poop / 10.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Spiderman: Homecoming - 8/10

A solid entry in the MCU, but not an "origin story" (I think that was covered in a flashback in Avengers: Civil War?). Protip: Stay to the end of the boring credits

13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Marvel did the smart thing and ignored the Spiderman origin entirely, in Civil War he's already been Spiderman long enough to attract Stark's attention, the movie just goes this is Spiderman, you all know who Spiderman is, so let's get on with it.

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Baby Driver - 7/10

good fun, a bit inconsistent on emotion/tone and pacing, but a great way to spend the evening.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Kong: Skull Island - 7.5/10

Damn this film is fun to watch. It feels like the good bits of Apocalypse Now, it packs the action fast and tight, and the link to the 'Zilla movie is quite evident. In short: Peter Jackson should watch this and rethink his approach to remaking classic films.

16. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

The Lego Batman Movie - 6/10

Amusing in places but not as funny as I had been told it was.

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
    Kill everything /10

K-Shop
    Quirky interesting take on stuff /10

18. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Hidden Figures - 9/10
    An interesting look at the human computers behind the NASA space race, looking at how hard it was being clever, a woman and black in 1960s America.

Yes, it's schmaltzy and melodromatic in places, and yes it is fictionalised (Kevin Costner's, Jim Parson's and Kirsten Dunst's characters aren't real - they're either amalgams of real people, or made-up characters to demonstrate prevailing attitudes of the time - and the real life characters didn't suffer quite so much racism as in the film), but it covers its subject well and doesn't seem overlong at 2hrs

19. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Spiderman Homecoming 9/10

Really enjoyed this take on Spiderman. Look forward to the next one..............if there is one......................

20. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Despicable Me 3, 7/10
    Enjoyed it, much better than the Minions movie.

Spiderman: Homecoming, 8.5/10
    Really enjoyed this, has to be the best of the last 3 Spidey reboots. And that final post credit's scene :lol:...

Suicide Squad, 5/10
    Not as bad as I thought it was going to be given all the negative reviews.

Justice League Dark, 8/10
    Another pretty solid (animated) DC offering, It was great to see Constantine get another stab at the limelight (seriously, watch the Constantine series if you get the chance, shame it only got one season).