1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Was going to boot up the PTU today but got side tracked with taxiing family around, hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out tomorrow.
    I'm very weak willed when it comes to shopping, I see something shiny and my brain switches off. :hehe:
    I have to hide my wallet and stay well clear of shops on days like today when everyone is doing sales.

I wouldn't say I have a huge amount of disposable income, roughly £100-150 a month after rent, bills and general living costs but since I don't tend to do much or go anywhere very often I end up just putting money away until something catches my eye or a decide a couple of weeks holiday is needed.
    You'll have to be extra good, then I'll consider it. :lol:

2. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

What a bunch of cock. d/l 30GB and it dont work.

error 10002. fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail

OK why am I seeing links to a diff launcher. Why isnt CIG's launcher updating itself?

Oh joy install the new delta patcher MANUALLY and now it want to re download the 35GB. Pathetic!

Last edited: 25 Nov 2017
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Thanks for this. I imagined the experience would be something along these lines. This ptu is different to others in it's scope and content, so I'm imagining waiting until a later patch before its stable.

Are all the features present in this build?

5. PathogenUK

PathogenUK What's a Dremel?

No. Ruto and Miles Eckart still aren't in, a lot of the combat missions aren't in either. There quite a lot to do, but it's so buggy, doing most of it is impossible.

I managed to do a little cargo run in the Connie Aquila, but the ship killed me at Levski before I could sell, then I got so lost in Levski, I couldn't find my way back to the ship, or the selling terminal, and then ctd'd, lol.

Persistence isn't in fully either, which is a shame.

6. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

7. suenstar

I had a short 30 minute play on the PTU... would of been longer but the game crashed.
    Before the client crashed my FPS was going up and down like crazy, it went as low as 7fps and maxed about 26fps at 3440x1440...
    I didn't manage to get a go at flying around, the fps was so bad out on the desk that I could barely get my ship's elevator to function before the game crashed.

Is it just me missing something or have they made it so you have to hold F and left click to interact with things, I'm sure it was just F before?

8. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Yeah thats the new fancy interactive system. You now need to power up your ship (flight ready) before you can take off.

9. suenstar

Ah good, I'm not going crazy then.
    Seems a bit of a nuisance when walking about to have to hold F to do anything.

I've been really struggling to get my Starfarer to be delivered to a landing pad, every time I select it on the panel inside the station it selects a pad and then when the ship arrives it just hovers for a bit and gradually drifts off into the distance instead of landing...
    All the other ships seem to get delivered fine, just that one goes wrong for some reason.

10. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I hate to say it but I sold up my interests many moons ago, personally I have no regrets at having done so I might add.

On another subject I'm of the opinion Chris Roberts must have based his business model on a Nigerian email/phishing scam - sorry someone had to say it :p

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Have you filed or confirmed a bug? CIG can't fix things they don't know are broken.

12. suenstar

Yes, I confirmed it on someone else's report on the same issue.
    It happened to me 4 times in a row so there's definitely something not quite right.

Edit: Finally managed to get into a Starfarer this morning.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2017
  13. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

I guess it might be just my perversed mind, but to me it looks like some of the NPC's are hanging round looking to be picked up.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It finally happened. According to the latest patch notes, 3.0 is on build "ac". They're on their second lap of the alphabet!

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Well at least the delta patcher is working.... even if the alpha isn't.

16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

So, what do we all think about this land claim license stuff then?

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I nearly wrote about that today, then there were more exciting things to cover, but my gut feeling is along the lines of: You know how you can 'name a star' or 'buy a plot of land on the moon,' and all you're actually doing is lining the pockets of some scam artist with a laser printer and an emboss stamp? That, only with the added bonus of the 'plot of land' you're buying not actually existing in the first place. What, selling virtual ships for humpty-tumpty hundred wasn't enough? Bah and piffle, I say. BAH.

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

The thing that bothers me here is that this just seems totally unnecessary. If they've raised the best part of $170million then why are they talking about selling off virtual real estate for cold hard cash rather than in-game currency only or store credit or whatever? By taking real money for virtual land and explicitly saying that this money will be used to fund game development, are they saying that they need more cash to complete the game? Because if not then it just seems... greedy.

It's not for me, that's for sure, and it just looks really bad imho.

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Bollocks.
    Aha! A more in depth answer that portrays my opinions.
    Trying to keep my chin up about the game, but I can understand where you're coming from.

STILL not convinced about this magic netcode that's going to let more than 16 players go in the same instance at the same time...and even now, the current multiplayer elements through a wobbly when more than ~8 people turn up to play.

20. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Indeed. I am only surprised it took them this long to monetise virtual land. When the "pupil to planet" video was released, they could have started to milk vitual farms to land your virtual ships for cold hard physical cash.

Tasteless cynical money grabbing, par for the Chris Roberts and Co. course.

Yet I still have a game package with one overpriced ship included, for when it is released. Certainly there are still some exciting possibilities with this project. Yet the hype for me has all but gone, and I do not trust a single thing that comes from their PR machine. Only when 3.0 is publically released, and then user reported to be stable, would I venture to install it. Same goes for the mythical Squadron 42.