1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The wife and I sat down to watch this at the weekend.

We managed about 30 minutes - a real rarity for me, because I'll usually sit through anything if for no other reason than to thoroughly slag it off; but this was utter pish.

Maybe it gets better, but I'm unwilling to wade through that much shite to find out.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2018
    LennyRhys and adidan like this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I think therefore I slag off. A motto I live by myself.

Even if films are bad they're bad, nothing worse than a film that climbs in your head and numbs it beyond hatred.

I'll be giving that a miss then.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Thor Ragnarok: silly fun/10

ok i'll admit I'm getting fed up of super hero films but after hearing a few things about this I figured i'd give it a go. really quite enjoyable and i did laugh quite a few times.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Valerian and the so on and so forth/10
    I am in two minds about this.
    On the one hand, it's OK... it's space opera with shoddy casting and a decent storyline. On the other hand, there were bits where I cringed quite a bit. Not least the beginning, which made me almost switch off.
    The film looks great in places, and rubbish in others (notably the setting right at the beginning).

Ultimately, this film was "just OK" all the way through for me...

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Agreed, most are getting very samey, lots of nice little one liners, the chain scene got a little tired though. Probably one of the better ones I've seen so far mainly because its not taking itself so seriously.

6. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri - 10/10

Yup, a perfect score. There's no way to improve this movie, at least no way I can imagine.
    It will win many Oscars.

Redband trailer (NSFW)

Last edited: 23 Jan 2018
    Guinevere likes this.
  7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You could be right. It got 7 nominations:-
    • Best Supporting Actor - Woody Harrelson
    • Best Supporting Actor - Sam Rockwell
    • Best Actress - Frances McDormand
    • Film Editing
    • Best Original Score
    • Best Picture
    • Best Screenplay

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Lego Batman is not nominated for best animated picture, but Boss Baby is.

You cannot win! I've got Arec Bardwin!

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

**** these two. It should be Cpt Underpants. If ****ing baby boss wins an Oscar I'll go burn it all down (metaphorically).

Blade Runner 2049 9/10
    Great follow-on story and homage to the original in cinemtography and atmosphere. Genuinely enjoyed the story. Only dip was Ryan Gosling was possibly made of more wood than his horse.

10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Thor Ragnarok awsome/10 knocks guardian of the galaxy off as my fave mcu movie. really enjoyed it

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Watched it while ironing on Sunday. This is the only Marvel flick I've ever re-watched and still enjoyed it as much as the first time spectacle.

12. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Thor Ragnarok 7/10
    I liked it fine... It's just that I was maybe expecting too much. It's still quintessentially an MCU film, and while it IS better than many of the later ones, that by itself doesn't seem awfully hard, since the last few were, in retrospective, rubbish.

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Battleship 8/10

grab a bag of popcorn and crank it, its dumb, its loud and it's a **** load of fun.

14. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Starwars the last Jedi - Teenage angst/10

Angry teenage boy lured with the promise of power and greatness sets out to kill the remainder of his family (and their friends) while luring a girl he's strangely attracted to. But realises he cant so has a tantrum in a lift and hatches a plan to escape his sugar daddy type figure by killing him and assuming control of his evil empire.
    Tries to kill his mum but turns out shes actually has mother in law powers and cannot be killed by simple things like the infinite vacuum of space, she then runs to her winter retreat with her friends and enacts the "Winchester Manoeuvre" (Going to the pub till it all blows over).
    Angry kid kills the sugar daddy trying to show off to girl he fancies but she doesn't all the killing and pouty looks, they argue over a knife and break it an she runs away in sugar daddy's private jet.
    Angry kid takes control of the henchmen and gets them to try and kill his uncle, they fail as does angry teenage kid while his mum and her friends sneak away with some fancy glass ornaments. Uncle then fakes his own death and disappears because he was year 3000 face timing the whole time and didn't realise how much the bill for the call was going to be.

Did I miss anything? Not hugely memorable bar Lukes use of the force and puppet Yoda.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Person of Interest [Series] - More Batman than Batfleck/10

Goes a bit off the rails towards the end but it's a better Batman than the recent DCEU efforts imo.

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

All of this.

Gotta admit this was fun - almost spat my drink when they actually started playing battleships.

17. koola

koola Minimodder

The Gambler (2014)

The only thing I took away from this Wahlberg movie was 'Get enough money to say f**k you!', nuff said.

18. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Gangsta (original Belgian title: Patser)
    Hard to form a coherent opinion about.

I think it's kind of interesting that the main character is obsessed by American action movie heroes and wants to be just as badass, but often comes across as a bit clumsy and overconfident while the two young directors are obviously obsessed with Hollywood action flicks and want to make their own but don't quite get there either.

It borrows a lot from other movies. There are a lot of story beats from Goodfellas in there, visually it's clearly inspired by Michael Bay's work, the story is structured around the 7 deadly sins, and there's a cop-and-criminal-brothers trope which could provide an interesting dynamic but is for some reason left pretty much completely unexplored. This blew my mind a little bit when I walked out of the theatre: why would they put that in and not do anything with it? It just has to be a remainder from an older script. I could ramble on about a ton of stuff like this; some very strange choices were made in this film.

I would still recommend it though. There are lots of well-made action scenes, nice visuals and some cool camerawork. I wasn't a particularly big fan of the soundtrack but a lot of my friends I watched it with were. There were some fun inventive little details in there too
    like scenes you don't realize are flash forwards until later and a fake ending

It's high paced and loud, and a fun action movie if you don't overthink it too much.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2018
  19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Thor: Ragnarok - 8/10

It was funnier than most of the other Marvel films put together, IMO.

Yaka likes this.
  20. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

The Revenant
    Just saw this on TV with some truly awful commercial breaks.
    They managed to put one right in the middle of the friggin bear fight. F F S
    Gorgeous environments, awesome use of (ultra)wide-angles, a masterclass in composition. Loved the soundtrack (and I think I recognized bits of Bryce Dessner's wonderful Lachrimae near the end).

I seem to be the only one who didn't mind the length - but then again a movie has to be really bad for me to complain about that in general. It's a simple story stretched over a long time, but I genuinely liked the slow pace, seemed to fit Hugh Glass' grueling journey pretty well.

I thought it was quite genius how sudden and undramatic Hawk's murder was. It really added to the cruelty in a cinematic way. The character wasn't even deemed a beautiful death, but was instead discarded like a detail just like the dozens of other unnamed side characters killed on-screen throughout the movie.

Really, really enjoyed it.