1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yep, it was Norway.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...oliticians-reject-uks-norway-plus-brexit-plan

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Norway says No way.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Which is rather funny since a diet EU made up of UK, Norway, Switzerland and Iceland would have made at least some sense (not saying it would be perfect, but we all know no option is).

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

5. Nexxo

It would, but obviously the UK's behaviour while a EU member is causing them some concern about how it might behave as a EEA member. Something the UK may want to reflect on...

Meanwhile... Brexit campaign donors feel betrayed.

Should have had a Brexit plan, losers!

Last edited: 8 Dec 2018
  6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Lest us not forget the UK, until relatively recently, was one of the major advocates of EU enlargement.

7. Risky

Risky Modder

I thought the locust bit might flag this as a post containing humour but I guess I should have make it a bit more obvious.

8. Risky

Risky Modder

Or perhaps, should have put someone capable of making a coherent one in charge after the vote.

9. Risky

Risky Modder

One of the main reasons I voted remain was that the UK was, when engaged with it, a force pushing the EU in a more open, positive direction. Without the UK, France has too much influence and it will likely turn more closed and protectionist.

adidan likes this.
  10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Three men at risk of being dead before Brexit affects them. Shocker. I guess they've been hampered in the building of their wealth by all those immigrants who took their jo.. oh. Wait a moment.

11. adidan

My thoughts too. What with France as it's going, Spanish far right getting seats and all Merkel's successors having a thin element of AfD in their outlook I think now is exactly the time we should be more involved.

12. Nexxo

Too late by then. Expectations were already set. Leaving was going to be quick and easy; it was just a matter of "getting on with it". Planning would have been seen as just delaying tactics by a sabotaging Remainer establishment that wouldn't accept the Will of the People™.

The time for a plan, and for getting people behind it, was before the vote.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The problem is the leave vote wasn't coherent to start with, it wasn't logical and/or consistent because it lumped millions of people with differing ideas of what leaving meant into a single group, you can't get a logical and/or consistent answer to an illogical and/or inconsistent question.

When people say leave voter didn't know what they voted for they don't mean someone who voted to leave didn't know what their own mind was, they mean leave voter A's idea of what Brexit should be is probably different than person B's idea and C's and so on, they mean there wasn't a consistent or logical center to coalesce around and say this is what leaving means.
    That will probably become less so in the coming years, typically increased support for closing things down and protectionism (aka:Nationalism & far-right policies) always follows an economic shock and in the past it normally reached a peak around a decade afterwards.

It's been a decade since the 08 crash so support for closed and protectionist policies may start to wane in the coming years, although what with the idea that you address a fall in private sector spending by reducing public spending at the same time (aka:Austerity) having taken hold in the UK and across the EU people may continue to believe isolation, protectionism, and blaming others is the solution for some time yet.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2018
  14. adidan

I like your optimism.

The US Bond yield just inverted for the first time in 10 years and this usually indicates a recession is on the way in the next few years. The ECB is only just talking about ending quantitative easing and yet countries are spending more than they did 10 years ago even with that in effect.

I know only a little of economics and there are many variables but I can't say i'm optimistic. If anything I fear protectionism will get worse before it gets better.

15. Nexxo

Contrary to popular belief, there were at least six highly reputable economists who saw the 2008 Credit Crunch coming from as far away as 2005, and predicted its arrival within a year's accuracy.

Two of them have recently said that another Crunch is on its way and will happen around 2020.

"In the 21st Century, everything is going to change. Better get ready" --Captain Jack Harkness

16. adidan

Ah they probably were ridiculed at the time and described as fear mongers... I mean what do experts know?

17. adidan

Esther McVey will run for PM if asked.

No. Just no.

RedFlames likes this.
  18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And it'll be coming from the tech industry:

Product shortages at Intel
    AMD and Nvidia (among others) having taken a battering at the stock market recently
    The legal troubles of Huawei and Google
    The regulatory trouble of data kraken social media companies
    The shenanigans of the Five Eyes countries in regards to encryption
    The slow down in smart phone sales due to market saturation
    All that on top of the Trump trade war...

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

...all added to the that the fact precisely 0 lessons were learned from the last one.

20. Nexxo

^^^ That one. The two economists say that the same conditions are re-emerging in the subprime loans market.