1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Robin Hood 6/10 aside from wierd mordern-esque desert warfare in the opening, pretty sure archers around the crusade times were not like infantry men in mordern war movies. its a pretty much the same old tale with a slight twist with little john. ending leaves way for another sequel but really how many times can they really do a robin hood movie

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Not a film, but a series:

AHS: Cult - 7/10
    As AHS tends to do, this plays fast and loose with some of the background/real life parts of the story. Some parts more bothering than others.
    Besides the initial 2 episodes being a bit too "fashionable" for my taste, the series picks up well, and makes for a fun (albeit gory) return to form for the series, after Roanoake and Hotel were pretty awful.

3. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

The Seventh Seal
    In a bout of hubris I though I was ready for some [airquotes] capital C Cinema [/airquotes] after Stalker, so what better place to start than Igmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal?
    Ehh...
    It's definitely visually striking, and the guy playing tormented knight Antonius Block has the most perfect face for the character. Other than that though, it didn't get me too excited.
    I think I've hated "minstrel" characters in every movie I've ever seen so their prominent role in this one probably didn't help.
    I'll give another shot to Wild Strawberries. If I'm equally unmoved after that film Bergman work's probably not for me.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2019
  4. Xir

Xir Modder

Seems to have been very successfull, one of Chinas highest grossing movies.
    So I suppose me finding it Awfull doesn't really matter.

5. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Chappie 8/10 been on my watchlist for a while heard mixed things about it from friends but i quite enjoyed it,

Ralph Breaks The Internet 8/10 only thing i got against this it is somewhat less about games, alot of gags are related to social media/memes etc but over all still really funny tho i was expecting mario to pop up at some point as i am sure the director mentioned he was going to be in this one. and has the finest end of credit roll scene to date :).

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Nightcrawler 9/10

Very, very good movie...very dark. Hard to review it without spoiling it, but suffice to say that JG is amazing as the lead, and it's nice to see Russo play another convincing supporting role (throwback to the 90s).

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Death Note (Netflix) - 8/10

Not seen any of the original source material, but obviously know of it, so I didn't have anything to compare it to. In that sense, as a stand-alone dark comedy horror-type film, I really enjoyed it. Lots of practical effects, which was nice to see. Main actors were all very good, good chemistry between the leads.

Good amount of gore (without being OTT), Willem Dafoe is creepy enough at the best of times, so made a real good Ryuk. Ending was a bit of a hash in terms of what was written and by who (the whole idea of "ownership" kinda goes out the window), but it worked enough to close it up.

Bonus point awarded for a cracking soundtrack, too!

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Captain Marvel - 4/10

Bored. Bored bored bored. The most interesting thing was the cat, and that wasn't very interesting.

The de-aging on Jackson was the most impressive thing about it. Everything else was run of the mill action film with a tiny, but obvious, twist. Didn't really give a toss about any of the characters, because as we all know, they're characters that've died chronologically at the 'current' point in the MCU.

I think that's my biggest issue with films set in the past - We already know the main characters. They most likely won't die, so there's literally zero risk or suspense in anything they do.

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Captain Marvel - 8/10
    I really enjoyed this, action was good, soundtrack was great. but the plot twist was choregraphed fairly early on when
    Korath from Guardians of the Galaxy was included in the mission squad selection

10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

War Horse 6/10 one of my kids brought this home after buying it from the bargain bin at asda. ok WWI film but when they have the germans speaking in accented english it kinda kills it for me. no idea why some movies do this.

Aquaman 8/10 finaly a decentish DC film still aquamans suit looks silly in RL just like it did in the comics

Fantastic Beasts: crimes of Grindelweld 6/10 not nearly as good as the first one kinda feels a bit meh in places i was expecting much more

Creed II 8/10 i like the route they took in this i honestly thought there would be alot less Rocky in this but there is not its always a tear jerker when old rocky mention some thing from the past

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Aquaman - 6/10
    Not really sure what I expected. The CGI was (due to large parts of it being underwater) a bit much, and possibly a bit heavy handed. The plot was boring, Momoa is there fro scruffy one-liners and to look good. That's about it...

Robin Hood 3/10
    Good grief this was terrible. And I was expecting not much here. Bono's daughter as Maid Marion is the least of this film's troubles. Minchin singing would not have saved this film.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

In this era of multiple extra scenes buried in the credits of certain films, I commend to this house the website "What's After the Credits?", which informs upon the existence of such scenes.
    Be advised however, that no information is likely be available on a particular film before it goes on general release.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2019
  13. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Triple Frontier 8/10 really enjoyed this its like a more gritty version of 3 kings 5 former miltary guys still not adjusting to their lives after they left the service.. affleck puts in a good a performance
    you pretty much know whats coming when start a bonfire
    not sure why but alot of netflix movies are recently getting and ending that leaves way for a possible sequel

Lego movie 2 7/10 not as good as the first movie but still pretty good lots of 80s/90s stuff is referenced in it but it had a few shitty songs in as well

14. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Deadpool 2 - 7/10 until the end credits, then it goes up to an 8/10

I actually really enjoyed this. Some of the jokes were a little predictable and forced, and RR's Deadpool is a bit like that hyperactive niece/nephew most people have - fun, but only in short bursts... Which I think he'd take as a compliment?

The whole "X-Force" sequence was HILARIOUS though, with Domino being a badass that makes Black Widow look tame.

X-Men cameo was genius, but the time travelling end scenes really prove how much humility Ryan has, and why he'll always be my No.1 man-crush.

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Baywatch - Way better than I expected / 10

I never had any intention of watching this until a friend of mine suggested it was way more enjoyable than he expected (I think he watched on a plane initially, but then enjoyed it enough to re-watch not on a plane)
    It's stupid, but it knows it's stupid, acknowledges that it's stupid all the way though, and I quite enjoyed it.

(though to caveat "way better than I expected" - I expected a train wreck of a film that caused lasting mental anguish)

LennyRhys likes this.
  16. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

BUMBLEBEE 8/10 probably the best transformers movie to date, liked the 80s vibe tho felt old when kids kept asking about casset tapes. over all much better than Bays movies which had way to frantic action sequences. did not realise until the end that it had the same director as Kubo and the Two Strings

Gunsmith likes this.
  17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Overlord - Exactly what it says on the tin / 10

Nazis. Zombies. Nazi zombies (or would that be zombie nazis?).
    If those words don't immediately put you off, this is a must watch.
    It pretty much throws Wolfenstein, Saving Private Ryan and 28 Days Later into some sort of movie blender, and somehow nails it in every way.

Absolutely riotous fun.

Also, the opening sequence is my new answer to when visitors ask "What do all these speakers sound like then"

goldstar0011 likes this.
  18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Agreed, The first 5 mins on Cybertron had me feel like i was a kid again. extra points for getting Stan Bush in there.

Yaka likes this.
  19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The Dirt 7/10
    Yes, the stories may be a bit OTT, as they are in the book (looking at who wrote the book, that's no surprise).
    It's a good film adaptation of the book, and, if the book is to be believed, a glimpse into the lives of what must have been the biggest Glam band in the world, in the crazy sex, drugs and Rock'n'Roll age.
    The film is probably not recommended viewing if the kids are around. Lots of drugs, drug-induced behaviour, and lots of nudity.

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Alita: Nooooot bad/10

Big fan of the original since the days where scanlations where your only option. While the film makes some... odd changes
    Like Desty Nova being a Tipharean/Zalem puppetmaster, rather than a mad outcast on the surface. And more importantly Chiren - despite having the Mark of Tiphares indicating she has undergone full citizenship - still retains here organic brain, thus completely invalidating Desty Nova's original plotline and much of the driver of the post-scrapyard plot. Or picking the original names for places (Zalem rather than Tiphares) but keeping Alita rather than Gally. Makaku ended up kinda-sorta merged with both Gerushka and Zapan, but that did flow decently given the limited time
    that might bite any attempts at sequels, it was an actually decent film in and of itself which is a first for live-action adaptations of manga/anime. It's pretty impressive they managed to cram so much of the initial scrapyard plotline in to a single film without mangling it entirely (with the Motorball arc being the biggest casualty), though I could see anyone not passingly familiar with the plot already baulking at the fast pace.

I do miss the deckmen though.