1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2019 thread - Season Over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 25 Nov 2018.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Max was not in front according to the replays I saw. He was just on the inside, thereby being ahead at the apex. He opened up the steering a WEEEEEEE bit on exit, but I wouldn't consider this a major thing.
    "Racing incident", much as I dislike RBR, Horner and Max, seems about right, honestly.
    Harsh move, for sure, but Leclerc should have known that the inside was the move that was more "doable" around there, and that Max would squeeze him wide, should he come alongside.
    Charles was caught napping there, IMHO.
    Anyone else see Seb overtaking someone (can't remember who), twitching left to push them off track a little on exit (was not needed), to secure the pass? I thought that was dodgier than Max's pass.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

He should have done, the Norris, kimmi, Gasley fights were far far better in terms of race craft. Perfect examples of where to plonk you car to prevent a pass and how to overtake.

Good to see Norris not phased playing with Hamilton on lap 1. HAAS seem to be slipping into the clutches of Williams, Renault and Racing Point along with Torro Rosso were really just making up the numbers to me yesterday.

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Except the previous lap Max left him the space. He thought he would be shown the same courtesy again. Naive maybe, but I can see why he'd be cheesed off about it.

4. legoman

So, the Gasly situation, thoughts? RBR claim they are not looking to replace him, but their "home race" he was lapped by his team mate who had a terrible start dropping behind him initially.

Honer reckons he just needs time, but we all know how hungry Marko is for his results, so theoretically who could replace him potentially after the summer break? RBR are only 59 points behind Ferrari in the constructors championship, which would have been less is Gasly had knocked in some more point finishes.

Any thoughts?

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Gasly will be lucky to survive to the end of the season, Red Bull have been proven to be quite ruthless - could almost see Kyvat swapping with him.

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The primary factor in Gasly situation is Verstappen's exit clause. If Verstappen can leave, you can be sure you see him in Mercedes next season. In that case Gasly stays, because Red Bull simply doesn't have the drivers. Red Bull got Gasly, Kvyat and Albon in F1, O'Ward nowhere near F1 and that's it. Ticktum was kicked from RB program.

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I would be surprised to see Gasly still drive after the summer break.
    RBR doesn't do "just needs time" well, and there are rumors going as far as suggesting Hulk at RBR, Ocon into the Renault (as well as the more obvious "simple swap" between Kvyat and Gasly, which RBR have already defended)

The_Crapman likes this.
  8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I don't think you'll see Kvyat back at RBR tbh. I was surprised to see him back at STR.

9. legoman

Hulk to RBR and Ocon to Renault kind of makes sense, Hulk is consistent when the car is good enough he usually brings home some points and has proven pretty handy in the past and Ocon to Renault makes sense as historically the team have always preferred to have a French drive on their lineup.

But yes can't see Gasly lasting overly long especially when you have the like of Ocon an even Wherlien lurking an being potentially available in the not too distant future.

10. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

If RBR has a solid alternative to Gasly for after the summer break then I expect him to be gone, with the potential of 2nd in the constructors they need decent points from both cars each weekend! I'm not sure they've got many options though. Kvyat and Buemi are really the only available options from within Redbull and I can't see either taking the role from Gasly tbh.

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Nobody will admit it but Red Bull Racing is a single car team. During testing when they shared one car Gasly and Verstappen were lapping with a tenth of each other both weeks. Every race weekend Gasly is down in the speed traps and down at the fast corners, his car doesn't offer the same level of performance as Max's (Max out dragged a Ferrari and a Merc in Austria, Gasly couldn't outrun the McRenaults even with DRS, unless Gasly has a fear of throttle pedals that isn't down to the driver).

Horner is being nice about him to manage the situation, it would look really bad to sponsors and F1 if Gasly were to boil over and rant about the lack of new parts or the visibly different barge board asssemblies on the two cars. We saw this last year when Ricciardo's car turned into an experimental parts mule after he announced his Renault move, this year they are continuing in the same vein.

Gasly drove the STR to a fourth last year, it's not like he doesn't know how to drive. If any other driver goes in mid-season it will be Kvyatt. Maybe Hulkenberg will leave Renault at the end of the year but he's no fool, he's on big money at Renault and if he goes he'll have equal equipment and priority in his contract. If they don't treat him equally Hulk would be make sure the world heard about it. I don't see RB taking on a veteran driver unless they think they can take the constructors next year.

At the moment RB is like Ferrari under Michael Schumacher, they are totally focused on maximising the results of one driver. It would be hysterical if Max were to jump to Mercedes at the end of the season.

12. legoman

True, forgot Botta's is out of contract end of the season, I doubt though Merc would want both Max and Hamilton on the same team.
    An your right RBR seem to be very much about young drivers, seems to fit their market group to be honest.

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I don't think anything will happen till the end of the season,or until the arse end of crazy season. Probably pinch sainz or norris if anyone. No way will they go back to kvyat, albon too green. Hulkenburg is just playing it out now, he's too old for improvement against a worthy opponent, pretty much just cashing cheques at this point, but maybe if they want a heal and he agrees?

14. RedFlames

Also doesn't Hulkenberg have the 'doesn't fit in most teams' car' issue?

15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Sainz and Verstappen apparently despise each other, so that's probably a no no.

16. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I was just thinking perhaps Norris might be in their sights. I hope he sticks with McLaren though 'cos they've supported him a while.

17. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

….as they did with Hamilton :)

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I have a feeling McLaren would try to keep Sainz/Norris for a bit.
    Norris, especially in Austria was pretty impressive, going wheel to wheel with some bigger guns (Hamilton among others) without breaking a sweat.

Bottas, the way he's been going so far this season seems set to stay at Merc.
    Hulk, well, he's a tall man, which speaks against an RBR seat (famously, Newey was adamant that smaller drivers should drive his cars, critiquing Webber for his size).

Verstappen to merc I don't quite see. He doesn't have the maturity to deal with Merc (i don't think). Too "seb vettel" mannered.

19. RedFlames

Anfield and The_Crapman like this.
  20. RedFlames

...still have no idea who the feck they are tbh.