1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Price of computer hardware in this country.

Asus X570 TUF motherboard in the US, $150+ tax, same mobo over here? £259.99, it would be cheaper to ship it over and pay the import duty but the fear of a DOA board prevents me...

Vault-Tec, Bloody_Pete, IanW and 2 others like this.
  2. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

People offering advice on kit that is God tier when you're looking for stuff that mere mortals can just about afford... knowing what's the best is one thing, but a career in retail has taught me that recognising your customer's spend capabilities is #1 detail for making recommendations.

3. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Not ruining, mildly frustrating at best. Desk is looking more and more a pipe dream. I've found motorised frames at a reasonable price its the table top that will probably be the kicker.

I could just slap a particle board table top on it for a lot cheaper but finding the right size of particle board table top seems equally as difficult!

I'm really set on top made from reclaimed wood of some shape or form, its just been difficult finding somewhere to have it made or buy stock at a reasonable price. I'd do it myself but I don't have the tools to make a good job of it so why waste the time and money? Awaiting a few quotes to make my final verdict but if I do pull the trigger on the frame I'll probably be looking at a particle board top as an interim solution. :(

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Maybe you could sign up for a woodworking course at your local school/college to make use of their tools for your desktop?

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Got my big toe, bending back and lifting a 1.5cm (wide) by 0.5cm (deep) piece of the nail. Damn, that hurts!

6. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

You got too full-on w/ the pedicure...??

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I hit my big toe. Stupid phone... :wallbash:

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I think everything is currently inflated as retailers try to grab as much money as possible before the looming recession...

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

$150 plus tax is very cheap, though. They are supposed to be the same in dollars as pounds (so $189 for the non wifi and around $210 for the wifi).

I paid £180 for my non wifi before the madness all began.

10. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Thats not a bad idea, locally we do have these community run sheds where you contribute and can use the facilities but I think it was more designed for the old and retired and in the current climate I doubt they're open... I have however considered getting in touch. I found a supplier online who can supply the boards planed and sanded for £17.50 each. I'd only need 3 to get the right size. problem is standard rate delivery is £45... Granted it's a cumbersome item so would require appropriate delivery. I've also just found out about someone substantially more local who is a scaffolder selling his old boards. He's about 15 miles away also so could arrange collection

I think I'm probably making more of a meal of this than needs be, I've watched a couple videos and think maybe pocket holes may be a solution. Limited tools needed and those tools are substantially more affordable than a biscuit joiner. Three reclaimed boards and a bit of good old fashioned hard-work.

If it looks terrible then I've lost a small bit of money and I'll move on, if it looks great I get the added satisfaction of doing it myself.

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

See if you have a hackspace near you, as then you'll have access to tools and training for a low cost :) Although I doubt any will be open currently :p

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I think that's what @DeadP1xels meant by "community run sheds".

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Contact free delivery is becoming a ****ing joke.

A neighbour knocked to point out the ~£400 worth of parcels sitting on my doorstep, courtesy of DPD. Since I brought the bins in two hours ago, nobody has knocked the door or rung the bell because I've been sitting at my desk, twelve feet from the front door with the dog at my feet. The dog goes nuts every time someone is at the door, so this muppet dumped the parcels on my doorstep and drove off.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

And then on the other end of the spectrum, I have one pass one to me end of last week!

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Yeah, it's a bit inconsistent. My postie always puts the post on my step, rings the bell, steps back and waits for me (I like that). I've also had delivery drivers simply shove a note through the door and in one case, I only knew it was delivered when my email pinged me.

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Our dog (jack russel) livens up as soon as someone touches the gate, if he waits that long!

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Nearly every package I have had delivered during the "no contact delivery" period, including by DPD, Hermes, RM and Amazon, they have taken a photo of the package on the doorstep - with my feet standing there in the open doorway - to have proof of delivery. They have ALWAYS rung the doorbell. My postie even knows that I work in the loft so waits the minute or so for me to come down the stairs.

Maybe 'cos I'm in London and they expect parcels to be nicked within minutes if left unattended.

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That's exactly the norm around here for RM posties and general couriers too - makes perfect sense and I fully support it. I know the courier isn't aware of the value of the items, but can you imagine the battle for compensation if they were stolen? The idea that leaving something in plain sight and driving off is in any way acceptable blows my mind.

19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've had the dog in the bedroom with me as I'm working from home, as soon as the postman's electronic machine beeps he goes buck wild. Even if it's across the street.

Damn dog.

I even got round to buying the upholstery fabric for the bay window bench seat so he can be more comfortable.

[​IMG]

yuusou, Arboreal, David and 3 others like this.
  20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

You're making me miss my parents' dog. He always comes and hides under the desk when I'm sat there. Occasionally I forget and get a quick nip when I try to move my feet,