1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I felt that the writers watched Fleabag, Stranger Things and the Downey Jnr Sherlocks in one sitting then thought... “how can we get this made for the kids?”

liratheal likes this.
  2. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

The Boys s1/s2 C*nt/10 casting karl urban as butcher was a masterstoke. s1 was awesome fun, season 2 carries on and the last ep was great.

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yep this show is an absolute masterpiece. I just love the satire, and the casting is spot on. Antony Starr as Homelander and Aya Cash as Stormfront are such a fantastic duo, and of course Karl Urban is just perfect as Billy.

The Haunting of Hill House 7/10
    Not bad. It doesn't [always] rely on cheap jump scares and gore, and although most of the devices in this series are shamelessy stolen from Japanese cinema (Ju-On in particular), it's entirely watchable and the narrative is pretty good.

4. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Narcos s1/s2/s3 8/10 decent series following the exploits of 2 dea agents who some how managed bring down 2 big cartels in Colombia. makes you wonder alot of that cash is rotting away under some farm land over there. like most things prolly not 100% accurate to real events specially the constant use of mobile phones in the early 90s

Narcos: Mexico s1/s2
    8/10 spin off/prequel of the orignal narcos series with some of the orignal cast coming back to reprise their roles. tells the story of Kki who was briefly mentioned in season 1 of narcos explaining why the Colombians were reluctant to kidnap or execute dea agents.
    was not expecting the end to be like that guys just walking away from him with zero bloodbath

The Last Narc
    9/10 chilling docu series about the DEA agent (prolly who walt was based on in narcos mexico) who headed the investigation into kiki camereana capture and death. they interview the mexican coppers who kidnaped him and were present at the house where he was tortured they also interview a few of the other dea guys and lawyers involved and kikis wife . one mexican copper godoy is clearly bearing the mental scars (prolly PTSD ) from his experiances. worth watching if you enjoyed narcos mexico
    the unnamed dea agent is clearly jaime hykendal considering they showed him to be a really good guy in narcos mexico

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

1917 - You can only do so much with war/10

Good camera work, ok film. That's about it

The Big Lebowski - Overrated/10

Never seen it before. It was ok. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe it was funnier, more original and less predictable back in the day.

David likes this.
  6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The cinematography was stunning, and the "continuous shot" gimmick was... forgotten after 10 minutes. The film was, as you say, just OK - not great but not terrible. Nowhere near as awesome as some people claim.

Thank you. I like pretty much everyone in the cast - they've all done films I enjoy, but this was a pile of meh that occasionally raised a smile. But, but, but it's a cool film, so you have to like it to be cool too. :eyebrow:

Last edited: 25 Oct 2020
    adidan likes this.
  7. adidan

It struck me at the start and I pointed it out to the OH but, like you say, it gets lost after the initial impact.

Pretty much, the cast was great but it was, well, ok. Just ok. I think I had a small giggle maybe twice.

Anyway it's cool not to find cool, cool. :happy:

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I enjoy The Big Lebowski more when under the influence.

goldstar0011 and adidan like this.
  9. David

Yeah, but it's so uncool to point it out. :lol:

10. adidan

Not cool dude.

:happy:

11. adidan

Alita: Battle Angel - Not so Disney/10

Ok so it was ok. I was pleased that it wasn't Disney happy, happy, eveything's got to be lovely, let's all hold hands and go "phew that was close".

I'd probably watch a sequel (if there is one) if I have some time to kill but now Disney are actually in charge of it i'm not sure it'll happen and/or if they fluff it up to a point of sickness.

Mind you they did a good job with The Mandolorian so there's hope.

If nothing else i'm glad I watched it to get me in the mood for Cyberpunk due to it's cyberpunkesqueness.

Byron C likes this.
  12. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Ready Player one: 6/10

Holy pop culture batman. Whilst I enjoy the odd pop culture reference it was the basis for much of the movie. Now given the films premise that would have been fine except were set at some time in the future - 2027 (or further, I forget) and in that time there has been essentially no new movies or video game characters so everyone longs to be what was popular in the lifespan of a millennial.

The story itself is pretty simple but ultimately the visuals and action scenes help carry it through to make it an entertaining but ultimately forgettable experience. Kudos to the CG team who must have worked triple overtime to make it.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I was pleasantly surprised with this film. I'd heard very mixed opinions, but I was very pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it. I've been meaning to watch the original 1993 OVA for a while now, going to have to sort that out... I really liked the CG in it; it had a bit of an unreal quality to begin with, but it works perfectly for the stylised look the film has - life-like CG would definitely not have worked!

14. David

It was.. alright - It was enjoyable enough to kill a couple of hours and never got boring. I think I gave it a 5/10 at the time*.

That is, of course, using the whole of the 1 to 10 scale. 5 to 6 is average, not 7.

15. adidan

I have to agree really, I wasn't expecting much so that's probably why I enjoyed it.

I thought the CG would annoy me but, to be fair, I got used to that pretty quickly.

Glad I watched it? Yes
    Would I watch it again? Very much doubt it

I try to avoid scales when I can, I'm never consistant enough for them to be of any use. :happy:

16. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

either way itss sems a sequel might be in the works

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

18. adidan

[​IMG]

19. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

[​IMG]

The Big Lebowski is one of those movies that get better the more you watch it. It's all about the minutiae.

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Finally got round to watching John wick. 8/10

I think my viewing pleasure was hindered by hype. It was a really good, good ol' fashioned shoot 'em up, but I wouldn't put it on a pedestal like some have. I would have liked a bit more plot, but it was very enjoyable.