1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Oh I got the minutiae, I just didn't rate it enough to watch again.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Twister: THE EXTREME!/10

The only disaster film I've seen which isn't 90+ mins of people being dumb and dying as a result, a guilty pleasure if there ever was one.

boiled_elephant and LennyRhys like this.
  3. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

The Hunt - 8/10
    Quirky people hunting people dark comedy, well worth a watch!

Borat 2 - 7/10

Entertaining yes, a bit uncomfortable yes, takes it too far at points, of course.

John Wick 3 - 6/10

John Wick doing what John Wick does best. Felt a little long at 2 hours.

4. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

My favourite movie this year has been The Peanut Butter Falcon. Definitely one of Shia Labeouf's better films.

13eightyfour and [ZiiP] NaloaC like this.
  5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Idiocracy - it's finally happened/10
    Given the recent events in the US, we decided to re-watch this last night - it seems like this film has turned from fiction into documentary over the last four years.

d_stilgar and IanW like this.
  6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Idk man. I felt exactly the same after my first viewing and then watched it again about 3 years later, at a much more chilled out point in my life when early middle age was starting to whisper through the door at me, and it was just hugely more enjoyable. It's also got that problem that Scott Pilgrim had, where on first viewing you spend most of the film's runtime trying to figure out what kind of film it is. On a second viewing, it's easier to relax and enjoy it for what it is, because you already know.

Idiocracy is terribly inaccurate. The president in that film is a chilled, charismatic, likeable mixed-race dude.

I mean I guess it was accurate about 8 years ago.

Also hooooooly SHITSNACKS I just realised it's Terry Cruz how did I never see that!

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Who recognises that he and his colleagues are ill-suited to deal with a crisis and responds by immediately putting the smartest person he can find in charge. Yeah, still waiting for that bit to come true.

IanW and boiled_elephant like this.
  8. boiled_elephant

edit - I'm still a noob at the revamped Bit-Tech, idk how to make that image scale down so it's visible.

Also spose I should post something on-topic.

Bird Box

A really noble attempt at Lovecraftian horror. I got put onto it by a video on Youtube about exactly that, saying how difficult it is to adapt Lovecraftian monsters to film, because the whole point is they're so unspeakably mind-bendingly horrible that you can't stand to see them. Well, if you show that with a big CGI lump of tentacles and limbs like Cloverfield did, it kinda ruins the effect, because the audience just go "hm so it's just a big lump of tentacles and limbs, cool".

Bird Box's solution is to not give the monster an on-screen visual at all, and just have everyone go terribly mad and kill themselves when they see the monsters, which is a neat way to get around it. Unfortunately it kinda runs thin, because a whole film of the monster not being visible and also not directly doing much just leaves you with a fairly slow-paced human problem-solving story, and the threat ends up feeling a bit toothless. Curiosity drives the film but by definition, the filmmakers can't afford to give you any payoff for that curiosity. Quite frustrating and disappointing in sum. But specific bits of the film are fantastic.

I'd like to see a more conventional Lovecraftian horror film - gargantuan horrors under the ocean floor, crazy cults, all that jazz. It's an itch that horror films haven't really scratched (to my knowledge).

Be interested to see what you make of the sequels. I found them a bit morally weird. Like in film 1 he's got a clear motive and justification for killing every mofo in sight - they're all trying to kill him first, they killed his dog and blew up his house, etc. etc.

In films 2 and 3, though, there are points where he's kinda just....on the offensive, actively seeking out organisations and killing everyone in sight, with minimal effort to establish the enemies as acceptable targets. And as the film series goes on, you understand more and more that nobody has a chance against him, so it all feels kinda unfair and a bit icky. Like he's less of an everyman fighting back and more of a serial killer revenge nut, like The Punisher. (Who I've always hated as a character for this reason.)

Also the whole 'hitmen have a code of honour and will calmly exchange pleasantries immediately before, after or whilst trying to kill each other' is a really jarring, silly trope that I wish these films wouldn't use, because it makes the characters feel emotionless, unrelatable and psychotic.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2020
    LennyRhys and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  9. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Cobra Kai season 2 9/10 was not expecting season 2 to be better than season one really enjoyed it, the get together of the orignal cobra kai guys was a nice touch considering what happened to the guy who played tommy in real life.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

The Last Full Measure https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0783640/

Watched yesterday as a hark back to my youth of bad war films on a Sunday, but got something very different instead.
    V.V.V.V.V.V.V.close to bringing a tear to my eye / 10

goldstar0011 likes this.
  11. Xir

Xir Modder

The Postcard Killings - 7/10
    Thriller I had missed with a nice twist.

12. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

The Mandalorian Season 2 10/10 pretty nifty series some chars from clone wars pop up. and an awesome last episode but just one thing got me...

its awesome that mark Hamil , idont agree with everyone else saying a younger actor should have taken up the role but ILM dropped a massive ball on his de aging and lip sych

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Not a movie, but The Queen's Gambit 10/10

Absolutely stunning Netflix original based on the novel by Walter Tevis. The acting in this is absolutely top notch, and the story is fantastic. My wife gave up after the first couple of episodes as she found it "boring", however for me it was thrilling as I love chess and really got into the story of the protagonist.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The Mandalorian Season 2 10/10 - Watch the post credits scene! :jawdrop:

goldstar0011 likes this.
  15. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

we only watched that coz my youngest really likes to watch the post credits art work from previous eps, he was miffed when there was not any till the scene popped up

16. Xir

Xir Modder

The Mountain Between Us - 6/10
    Good actors, mediocre story, silly ending

17. boiled_elephant

No no, this isn't a gaming thread, it's a movie thread. [/gets coat]
    Will check it out. I've been waiting for someone to tell me to. From the look of it I couldn't decide if it'd be fantastic or awful.
    Didn't even know this existed already, shows how much of a rock I live under. I presume it's a Disney exclusive?

LennyRhys likes this.
  18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Yep. Disney+ only.
    2 seasons of 8 episodes each, together with "Disney Gallery", 8 more episodes of the directors (Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Taika Waititi, Bryce Dallas Howard, etc) sitting around a table & talking about making the show.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Captain Marvel & Avengers: Endgame - They Exist/10

Wife wanted to play Griffball, which meant upgrading to Game Pass Ultimate - which came with 30 days of Disney+. Watched both of those for the first time, and they were exactly as I expected them to be. Out of the two, I think I preferred Captain Marvel - but Avengers had its moments. Wouldn't rush to watch 'em again.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Best bit of captain marvel - the deaging on Mr.************ L Jackson.