1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress AppleCoreDuo

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cyprio, 2 Dec 2006.

1. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

@ Olddaphon: Please take off your Caps-lock, it makes reading very difficult.

2. MoRBiD

MoRBiD Minimodder

I love the G5 cases ... Might try n get m a couple of these for kicks :p

3. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Cyprio... I H8 you! :D

You're making me wreck my brain to find somehow to top this G5 mod, let alone, just to match it! :wallbash:

But I will, or die from an overloaded brain, trying! :idea:

I just love this mod! :jawdrop: Keep it up!

4. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Hehe, thanks guys. :thumb:

I think i might start a "G5 Anonymous" club guys! "Hi everyone, my name is Cyprio and i am addicted to my G5 case..." :D

I am going to *try* and get some work done over the next 3 days as im on leave from work, but (a) I seem to have caught the flu and (b) i have xmas shopping to do before i go on holiday for a week on Sunday.

Cyp.

5. olddaphon

olddaphon MADMODDER

sorry,

sorry about cap-locks, that all ways happens when im try to work and check out whats
    going on at bit-tech at the same time.:duh:

you start it and i will sign up,

6. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Cyprio <-- Sign me up! :thumb:

Unless... You charge a small fortune in membership, just to finance the next mods! :hehe:

Do an avatar, and make like a clan-name we can put in front of our names! ;)

(If I'm worthy of a membership ofcourse! :) )

7. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

Hey Cyprio.. I signed up on bit-tech just for this thread. Truly awesome. You're mentioned by another Apple case modder over on the InsanelyMac.com forums. I bought a G5 case a while back, but I proved to suck at modding =\ Just ended up getting a Danger Den acryllic case to pimp out... I'd totally pay for a case like the one you're building here though. I bet if you started taking orders, you could make a decent bit of cash.. Like I say, I'd buy one

I'll stay tuned... Thanks for the pretty pictures

8. ModimusPrime

ModimusPrime The Dremelator

Absolutely awesome job!

I have been on the forums many a time just spectating and learning different things from all the fabulous mods on here but never got around to registering until now. After seeing this mod I just had to register and say... Well done mate, you're a credit to the modding society!

9. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Thank you both for the really encouraging words. :) :thumb:

Dark, thanks for the heads up for the insanelymac info, will check it out later today when i get the time.

ModimusPrime, thats how i got into modding in the first place. Reading and learning about materials, tools and also to gain ideas! :)

To everyone else, sorry about the lack of updates. I have blocked out some time this weekend though and i should have all the watercooling components (including some custom mods that i didnt feel i had the tools for myself) by next week. A big thanks to Tom at ChilledPC and Pascal at AquaPCs for helping me out with these.

Catch you on Sunday. :dremel:

Cyp.

Edit: just had a quick peek over at insanelymac... that place is home to all G5 mods! So many in one forum. :D

Last edited: 4 Jan 2008
  10. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

Indeed it is, Aqua-mac in particular, is like insanelymac.com's apple case modding troubadore.. his newest is a mac pro case, he's got a g5 case, a g4 quicksilver and a few others.. I swear, the guy has too much time and money haha

11. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Got some more work done on the case internals today. Almost there!

1. EXHAUST FAN

I started off by making the 'exhaust module' for the case. This is the 120mm fan below the single rad. I am using a old 120x38mm PAPST fan that pushes a fair amount of air in the hopes that it will vent a large amount of the warm air straight out of the case, leaving only a small amount for the rear 80mm exhaust.

First off i massacred an old 120mm fan i had lying around as i needed the frame, and covered one side with some strong double sided tape.

Take one old fan and... er, remove the fan!

[​IMG]

Next, i attached the PAPST fan and taped the middle just to make sure the 'wind tunnel' was airtight. The reason i needed the tunnel will become apparent later on. :)

Tunnel taped to PAPST:

[​IMG]

Finally i glued on some nylon nuts: M3 for the side being bolted to the case and M4 for the side facing the radiator cover perspex.

Nylon nuts from my favourite web shop for 'nuts and bolts' - modelfixings (also got my taps from them - very helpful people :thumb: )

[​IMG]

Used a bit of contact adhesive and some clamps to glue the nuts on:

[​IMG]

I stupidly forgot to take any pics of it in place bit will do so later on (it's too dark for any good shots now with my tiny Pentax :) )

2. FINISHING THE RAD COVER

If you look back to my last update you will see i started on a piece of black perspex that will cover both the rads and exhaust fan. It will also hide all the cabling from the PSU, HDD and some of the watercooling tubing. I decided to bolt the cover directly to the PA120.2 rad and the exhaust module (hence needing to raise the PAPST on the old fan and gluing nuts on it :) ).

I tapped the PA using an M4 tap - no need to drill the holes at all as they were the perfect size for it!

Dead easy!

[​IMG]

Then i taped off the perspex to be able to write on it and protect it whilst drilling and using the dremel later on.

Mental note: buy some wider masking tape next time.

[​IMG]

After some head scratching and a cup of tea i finally figured out how to measure and draw out the fan holes - by using the radiator inlet/outlet as a gauge and working upwards. :cooldude:

Next up: drilling the fan holes, (saying a small prayer) and checking to see if they line up. They did. ps using M4 countersunk stainless bolts.

[​IMG]

I decided to go for the 'rounded square' look - "It's soooo this season daahling!". ;)

[​IMG]

Rough dremel cuts - this made me swear that the next tool i treat myself to will be a scroll saw as it took ages. :(

[​IMG]

After loads of sanding i was left with this at about 8pm:

[​IMG]

Still needs some more sanding but i was quite pleased with the result. For those of you wondering about the bottom fans, its deliberately open ended as you wont be able to see these due to the HDD being in front of it. I will be using the same mesh as i used in the PSU vent in the top of the case.

That's all folks!

Well, not quite... just had to post these:

Can you say "Black and silver = :jawdrop:?"

[​IMG]

And "Crisp!"

[​IMG]

Dead sexy. Cheers Pascal! :thumb:

Cyas,

Cyp.

12. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

I love the look of black and silver together! Congratulations!

13. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Cyprio daaahling this look aaabsolutely faaabulous! Keep up the jolly good woork dear! :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, it looks great as does the rest of the mod. Clean and perfect. :thumb:

14. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Right guys and gals, i wont be updating for a few weeks as i am moving house this weekend and things are going to be a little hectic around here. :)

Before i go however i thought i would post some pics of what was waiting for me when i got back from work. Talk about great timing, one package was from the States and one from Germany!

Its a new Apple Thin Aluminium Keyboard. I "umm'd and err'd" for ages over what keyboard to use with this mod - it needed to be aluminium and black like the rest of the case. I finally decided to go with this one as it just looks so great. :) I picked up a US version (keys slightly different from UK version) off ebay (Germany).

[​IMG]

"But the keys are white!" you say... and "Why a US one when you can get a UK one direct from Apple over here in London?".

Ah well, its because you cant get one of these to fit the UK version:

[​IMG]

Its a KB black and clear cover for the keyboard from the States. I had thought about buying individual black key replacements from ebay but it would have been far too expensive as they are around £2 each! The other option was to wait for Apple to produce a silver and black version...

Fits like a glove!

[​IMG]

Close ups:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What i might do when i get the time is cut out the back keys individually and glue them on so you get to see the full effect of the aluminium underneath.

And with the case:

[​IMG]

That's all folks,

See you in a few weeks.

Cyp.

15. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

As awesome as ever man, keep it up :thumb:

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

17. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

good going. i've always wanted to do a little modding to some apple keyboards, especially ones with the plexi casing

18. manjowithane

manjowithane What's a Dremel?

It's looking rather nice. Keep up the good work

19. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

ooohh nice keyboard...me likey!

20. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

So cool dude!