1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The ATI/AMD 64-Bit Shuttle PC by ZapWizard

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZapWizard, 3 Apr 2004.

1. technomancer

technomancer What's a Dremel?

Cool. I'm more interested in the flame controller anyways :D

2. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

Lol, your promoting a 64-bit processor while showing off one that's burnt out. Great advertisment, shows how well there made. Not to say anything's wrong with AMD, don't want to start anything, just think that its funny you have a burnt chip as some decoration. Nice project though, I like it.

3. Zapho

Zapho What's a Dremel?

Chip yeilds are inheriently low. There are always bad chips, it's a fact of the processor industry. I believe the current yield is ~ 80% - 90% good chips, which is definitely up from what it used to be. Everyone knows it, it happens to Intel just as much.

Anywho, can't wait to see more work coming Zap! :thumb:

4. OneMadPoptart

OneMadPoptart What's a Dremel?

Zap --

Have you thought about lightly etching the top and side windows so the resemble a circuit board/processor internals? The etches dont have to be very deep, but just enough so the traces show up with the LED's. It would still allow for complete visibility through the windows, but give it that extra detail and look that people will remember, besides looking really cool with all those LEDs.

Just an idea...

5. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

That chip was not burnt out because of normal or even extreme use, if fact it may even have still worked, I didn't test it. It is a normal engineering sample that I was told doesn't work anymore. I know for sure it won't work now as I removed a few rows of pins from the middle to fit the LEDs under the package.
    Besides it is a great way to show-off a processor that would otherwise be totaly hidden under a heatsink.

I don't think there will be any etches, as full visiblility is prefered.

6. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

:hehe:

Interesting as ever :) I agree whole heartedly about not having a heat spreader in order to show off the processor more :) Out of curiosity, does a heat spreader work better at transferring heat than just using thermal grease straight onto a heatsink fan? :confused:
    It does seem a little strange that AMD has not sent you a socket 939 CPU, considering how close it is to that processor's final release date-especially considering that the socket 754 athlons have been around since 2001! Is it possible that AMD will provide you with a component upgrade sometime in the future?
    This is a very fascinating project Zap, and I look forward to its completion. :)

7. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

Wow, you know your the man when your throwing a processor like that into a case without really knowing for sure that its bad. I hope that you trust whomever you got it from, or just don't really care, cause it looks awsome there... :D. So how does this whole building a case for some big brandname work anyway? Whats in it for you? A lot of perks in the job, like cool hardware, lots of money?

8. ZapWizard

A heatspreader helps to ensure that the CPUs are more durable for the customer and OEMs, but at a cost of a second thermal barrier.

939 is not being used as there is not shuttle PC's that are 939 yet.

A few perks, quite a bit of hardware, I wish more money :)

------------

Ok, there may not be updates for about a week, so lets try to keep the chatter on topic.

9. kestrel

kestrel What's a Dremel?

why the 36gb raptor? the 74gb version is supiror in both speed and size. After all the shuttles are pretty much limited to one hard drive so why not have a faster and bigger one?

10. ZapWizard

36GB is all that is needed for a demo/gaming only machine.
    It will only have a few games on it at any one time.
    So there wasn't much need for a larger drive.

11. ZapWizard

I received the shuttle today, and I am installing windows, and getting ready to burn in the all the hardware.

[​IMG]

12. Croc

Croc What's a Dremel?

Wow, it took them long enough for them to send that. I've been in suspence for weeks. How long will it take you to finish? Can you post a pic of the underside of the dead cpu. I want to see the destruction of the pins

13. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

just subscribing good work

i know its just sposed to be questions

so il put it in the form of a question (jepordy)

What is subscribing?

Warning!!! do not answer this question

14. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Well, you see subscribing is a process which... J/K! :p

Its about time that case arrived :) According to your renders, it looks like there are going to be a few hefty mods on the case. Are you planning on showing these one at a time, or all at once? That is also one sexy shuttle; I think I just might have to get one :D

15. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

you should hide as many cable connections as possible. ie.. mounting the molex connector on the rear of the graphics card, so it looks as if it isnt even connected up. any chance of seeing a nicely modded shuttle PSU. :dremel:

16. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

hmm, first time i came to this log i saw red xs, second time was fine but ran short of time, and now red xs >_<

17. BlueMax

BlueMax What's a Dremel?

the project is looking cool so far. one complaint: why does this thread already have five stars (rating)? I'm not trying to start a flamewar, but we haven't even seen any construction or anything of the sort yet. I'm not undermining Zapwizard or his talent; we all know he kicks ass. but I think if you are all gonna give it 5 stars just because it's Zapwizard, you should definitely give other threads that are even better than this one (so far) a five star rating also :eyebrow:

keep up the good work zap

18. ZapWizard

I don't have an exact time, but about 4-6 hours a night.

Here is the back of the CPU with some of the pins removed.
    I removed them by twisting a flat headscrew driver between pins.

[​IMG]

I won't have step-by-step images of construction.
    But as each part is completed I will have images.

I plan on sheathing as many cables as possible, and making them all looking the same.
    But as far as re-soldering, I won't be doing that as the system may change configurations in the future.

The PSU may be modded up, depending on time.
    I hope to at least paint or chrome it.

19. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

umm, they spin at the same speed.............
    and sorry, no one said anything, but didnt Zap say that this should be questions only?

ok, i thought you said that you will not be showing the security circuit as for security reasons.....well thats what you said. ummm, can you explain the connectors in the front agin....what are they each for....? mouse, keyboard..........
    and i forget, the alarm will cover the keyboard and such right....?

One last thing, can you show the horn you will be using....and possibly if you have it put up a really small video of its noise.....ok, i must go.......

20. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

Hey zap, where do you get that key switch, I can only seem to find UK sites.