1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster What hardware have you broken?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sc0rian, 23 Apr 2003.

1. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

im saying im not a fan of intel as in no, im not a really big fan

2. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

k i don't have much for parts that either fried, or decided to die on me.

17 moniter, worked good all of it's life untill my brother got stupid and put a big huge @ss speaker beside it, permently distorted it, then about a month ago it just died on me, it was wuite funny, the screen blank so i unpluged it powered it back up and about 1/3 of the screen was showing and it was a very dark green, then it just stoped working.

and i stick of Ram 256, (it my not sound liek much but i only had 512 now i got 256)

had my old 16 GB HDD die on me about 2 weeks ago, so i tore it apart and had some fun, needless to say that the HDD and moniter were orignialy out of the same set up

now i got a new 19 inch Veiwsonic for really cheap :D

Last edited: 14 Sep 2004
  3. epidemik

epidemik What's a Dremel?

ive killed my grandmas laptop .
    and my old shuttle motherboard 4x agp :p
    lucky i did , coz i got a Abit Is7-E out of it :hip:

brad :jawdrop:

4. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

just killd me 7n400 pro2 thru overclocking, gonna c if i can get it on warranty

5. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Once, I saw someone with a laptop connected to a VCR, and he accidentally dropped the laptop, which in turn pulled the VCR off the shelf and ripped the connector right out of the TV.
    The laptop was fine and the VCR didn't actually hit the ground (it was dangling by the cable), but the connector was partly pulled out of the TV.
    I told him to desolder the tuner module from the TV, install a S-video connector, and be careful to make sure this doesn't happen again.
    He did become more careful next time, and he had an electronics technician install the S-video connector.
    Before, the video quality was barely acceptable for presentations, now it's quite a bit better (something like those old CGA monitors).
    I wonder if this is the first time where an accident led to a mod that made the damaged item better than new.

6. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

2 abit th7 motherboards no idea how.
    intel 850 p4 mobo blew it up because of wrong standoff placement
    WD 60 gig harddrive was adding lights with the computer on. :duh:
    psu dropped a 3 inch nail into it.
    psu overloaded just went during a game
    Thats all i can think of now.

7. blknoel

blknoel What's a Dremel?

Lets see.

1 Lite On DVD-Rom. I unknowingly shorted its circuit, room was full of smoke, fortunately both Mobo and PSU had over-volt and over-current protection.

1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive, fortunately the USB card reader part still funtions.

2 Cathode Tubes, 1x30cm, 1x10cm.

Thats it so far :D

8. sidd

sidd What's a Dremel?

i've broken a new motherboard.....

my old was destroyed by reasons i dont know , after receiving a new one bye guarantee , i broke the new one because i was damn drunk by placing the cpu cooler on it :D. I tried to get a new one again .... but the pc dealer said he would not be able to manage this because it was too "offensichtlich"(dont know the englisch word, and i am too lazy to get a dictionary) that i destroyed it by myself .....

in the end i had to buy a new one .... :(

9. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

too 'obvious' sidd?

- H.

10. mirrrion

mirrrion What's a Dremel?

-An old Duron 650, before I knew how to set a heatsink.
    -A AMD Rage Fury Pro O/C
    -An Athlon XP 1900+ Heat sink popped off
    -Two keyboards lost to coke.
    -A mouse to water.
    -A moniter to age.
    -A silent PSU to it's dead fan (it's silent, how can you tell!?)
    -A 20 Gig HD to droppage, if I solder a peice back on, it might still live.
    -A Modem to a spider that crawled on it.
    -Countless CD roms to various reasons.
    -A PSOne to over heating.
    -3 Floppy drives to plugging them in wrong.
    -A sound Blaster live to my cat pulling the plugs too hard (I don't solder, or it could be fixed).
    -Many fans to many a reason.

11. ROWLEY

ROWLEY What's a Dremel?

i fryed a motherboard though not pluging on the cpu fan :miffed: , the CPU lived and is still inopertation today :eyebrow: .

My electroincs tutor fried his petium 3 system by cleaning teh cpu thermal comductive stuff off the heatsink :wallbash:

12. Drivel

Drivel What's a Dremel?

ive knocked sevrel laptops off tables and ladders and borken the screens off OOPS :wallbash:

way to meny floppie drives (who likes them anyways)

and a ipaq i wanted to see the gut of (not really) running ^ stairs and fell down four floors so ya

i think that is it :waah:

o and countless keyboards (bawls and keyboards dont mix i would of never guessed)

13. pberry26

pberry26 What's a Dremel?

"Broken" mainboards, AGP, PCI boards, often NOT!

I have purchased over 200 "Broken", and, salvaged, mainboards, cpu's, psu's ( paid an average of $2.50 per board!) in the past three to four years.

Here is what I found out:
    I pulled the CMOS battery, so each reset to factory standard. Most had been overclocked, and the components would NOT run at 112 Mhz on the 100 Mhz FSB... or 144 on the 133mhz, etc.
    All except for 35 DID then work! And, RAN well! Some were dual processor boards, and I had to plug in the dummy, or a second, cpu!

Of the 'bad' 35, two had broken parts from the handling in bulk in large piles. Salvaged one with replacement of keyboard socket. Usually, I get to sort through, but, on one purchase for $20.00, about forty boards were in one bulk pile, and I suspect that is the one that had the majority of bad ones in it!

Ten had the BIOS wiped out, and worked after flashing of the BIOS!

so, I had 23 defective various generation boards, from Pi to Athlon, that I strip of bios chips, batteries, jumpers, connectors, then pitch to the recycler! I kept a couple to display, teach, for 'show and tell'!
    But, I have 177 good mainboards, about 25 are now in the ORIGINAL BOXES! The rest are in milk crates,
    tested, with cpu and memory!

WHY the high success rate? Because time is money, and techs save their bosses the labor costs, by replacing the mainboard, rather than spending time trying to diagnose a problem! All have lived on in success, in my own and my family, and, my friend's computers!

And, in the same time, I received over 30 cases, $2 to $10 each (AT and ATX), 60 graphics cards, up to a Radeon 9600, GeForce64, Sis315/64 and 128's, Savage 8mb, for $FREE up to $10 each, and sound cards, NICs,etc. by asking dealers/vendors (small time shops) if they want to sell their junk!

Do not expect to get anything from the chain stores! They get a full credit for return of items to the makers. Other stuff gets crushed in their DumpMasters! AND, some gets sold in large lots to wholesale salvage dealers. That is where I got 12 good APC UPSs for ~$10 each! Hey, I also surf the salvage web sites, and do the auction thing!

But, DO keep a sharp eye out for the 'Discount Tables' in your local stores, with one or two things not worth the effort to return, and thus, marked way down on the 'Closeout Sale'! That is how I bought my Olympus Camedia 520 Zoom camera with 256Mb media included, with warranty, and papers, for $80.00 in early 2004!

Bargain hunting can become a major time consuming project. Somtimes it is best to buy a new technology product with the warranty! It can be a gamble buying 'broken' stuff, if you don't have the time/space to test, store, and build, your projects. Drivers? I run Knoppix! http://knopper.net/knoppix

14. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

Update for me.

Last night I managed to break 2 cpu heat sink/fan combos
    p4 stock hsf
    and an ultra hsf

so i ordered a zalman cooler :thumb:

15. m0s

m0s What's a Dremel?

Smacked a 21" monitor in the wall due to some tireness and a bad cs day ;)
    Blue fire burning from the monitor... =/

16. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

2 ccfls
    1 motherboard (amd socket 7 when they were still not cheap)
    2 AMD K6-2
    1 MO Lk-202-25 LCD
    3 PSU
    2 CD-Roms

Im just not safe.....

17. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

During my first install of a hard drive when I was 10, something went wrong. The computer died, I still haven't a clue why but all I know is that a $1200 dollar machine was dead and my father was less than amused:duh:
    Oh well he didn't hold it against me and thus I still tinkered with computers. I have yet to break something major since then.

18. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

manageed to brake a 9600 pro, dont know how it broke but some time after i got myself a dfi lanparty rev A it stopped working, it worked but 3d apps killed it, strangly enough playing mohaa single player sorted it occasionally. got it rma'd for an xt, which proceeded to 'brake' and i then got a 9800 pro

19. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick What's a Dremel?

I have an extensive list, I'll add as I remember:

I built a computer for my [ex]gf, and a couple caps inside the power supply managed to explode. When she brought the computer to me to fix, I heard something rattling, opened the computer, found that it was the PS, opened the PS, and found two completely shattered capacitors. They shot up like rockets and actually dented the sheet metal body of the PS.

My mom called me at school and told me that her computer wouldn't turn on. When I went home I tried turning it on. Flames and white sparks shot out the back of the fan on her PS. That was cool. Apparently a connection on the 120VAC side of the fuse shorted through the plastic shield to the bottom of the body. It actually burned a dime-sized hole through the plastic barrier.

One night a fan inside my computer was making a lot of noise at 3am. My computer was compiling a video project I just finished, and I really did not want to interrupt it, so I slid the side panel off, unplugged the connector for the fan. I found that in my sleepy state I had unplugged the wrong fan and a power splitter going to 2 of the 8 hard drives in my computer. I went to put it back together, getting impatient, and forced it in. All of a sudden my computer turned off and I knew that wasn't good. It wouldn't turn back on so I went back to sleep. The next day it turned on (the thermal breaker in the PS had prevented it from turning on right away that night) and discovered that I had forced that plug in far enough backwards that the 12 and 5v leads were switched, and fried various parts in 3 of my hard drives. I lost quite a bit of data from that one

I shattered the display on my laptop here at school (luckily we got breakage coverage) when i dropped a couple links of chain from my latest project onto the open display.

I have also gone through numerous fans and heatsink/fan combos over the years, I'll add more as I remember.

20. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

ive had a few instances where a ton has gone wrong, thats my problem. in one run, the first time i sleeved a psu, i destroyed:
    1 CD-RW drive
    1 (Brand New!!!) Sony DVD-RW
    2 80GB 7200rpm WD Hard Drives
    and then the psu gave up on me

the first computer i built, i attached the mobo directly to the case, no risers. that seems to be one of the more common n00b mistakes. i destroyed 2 mobo's and 2 cpu's at once (and im still not quite sure how that happened.....). all of the components were replaced by ASUS/AMD, repectively. i was cleaning my proc., and i stuck it back in, and it wouldnt start. btw, i had 2 systems with the same mobo and proc, both A7N8X-Deluxe's, both 2600+'s. anyway, so i took the "cleaned" cpu and stuck it in the non-fried mobo. fried that mobo. so, i took the untouched (cept for removing it from the other socket) cpu, and stuck it in the first mobo. blew that cpu. jesus god was i having a bad night, i was pissed. but, i got all the components replaced, and all is well. broken a cold cathode, killed an inverter (and my hand for the night...) by trying to be superman and catch the naked inverter before it hit my mobo. saved my rig, killed my hand. wow that hurt
    :eek:. killed a Samsung hard drive by installing windows...not exactly sure of an explination on that one. there went a 5400rpm 80GB drive. nothing spectacular because of the speed, but still good as simple file storage and such. about 9 years ago i accidentally grabbed a video card in an old Acer box. killed the card and the AGP slot it was in. whoop...oh well. i learn from my mistakes, but i must say i think i've sacrificed plenty of hardware to the computer gods...
    :waah: