1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Motherboard Painting

Discussion in 'Modding' started by hacker 8991, 8 Jun 2004.

1. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

Want to learn how to paint your motherboard? Then read on.

This is a retyped version of my original guide, which was inspired by lamcdonald.

This is a guide that walks you through all the steps to paint your motherboard and expansion cards. This is a unique mod that you can do, until everyone starts doing it (I hope they don't...). There are a few pictures missing, but you should be able to make it through the guide anyways.

Beware, it's a little long.

Last edited: 16 Jul 2005
  2. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

A good guide. Strange how when he lost the pics, he didn't just re-rip them from (or hot link to) the bit-tech site.

3. hacker 8991

Err, I wrote the guide, both on the forums and on that site. The pics were hosted on my web space, but they were deleted accidentaly. The pictures that remained were hosted on Photobucket, I think.

4. theCrusifix

theCrusifix What's a Dremel?

painted up

ok, i was searching throught the forums for mod ideas. i came across this and thought it was a great idea, however i didnt want to mess up a perfectly good pc. so i dug through some old crap of mine and found an old e-machine....i know biggest piece of ********...thats why i chose it...anyway the colors suck, but i only had so many colors laying around and i used my imagination to do the best i could and as you know it...it works just fine...LOTS of prep work, but if you do it correctly and dont go over board with the paint in one step i'm sure you can do it with a nice mobo/cpu setup.....I will soon start another mod, i'm new to these forums but i'm sure you will see alot of me soon. BY the way, this took me all of 3 hours to do :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i do plan on doing some other things to this such as lighting..fans..round cables and sleeves i just dont want to put money into this old thing..

what do you think?

5. theCrusifix

oh, and i know its ugly as dirt....but i just wanted to try it out, maybe i'll change the skin colors later :p

6. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

hmmmmm...... i can feel an idea sparking off here. i *like* this painting-the-internal thing.....

/me looks at tin of magnolia gloss paint and decides to head to store.

7. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

oh my god. I saw this thread and I said who would do this to a precious mobo. Not me.

Well I thought about for a couple of seconds and then came up with the idea (Light Bulb) if the DFI boards have UV plastic why not paint the board with UV paint make the mobo light up.

Then I thought about painting mobo a little more, maybe you guys have already cover this in the last 6 pages of the thread but wont the paint restrict the heat from leaving the board's chips??

I am using a DFI board and I overclock at all time so heat is a bigger factor to me. Have you guys done and experiments on the temp??

8. theCrusifix

i didnt see much of a difference, but haha, mines old as dirt! i have heard different things about how it helps disperse heat but not much...i would think that as long as you dont paint the bottom side of the heatsink and you still have a good surface coverage from that to the cpu you should be fine...but beeings its over clocked you probably have a bigger and better cooling device than the standard heatsink and fan.

9. hacker 8991

Paint should have little to no effect on temperatures, but I have not tested it. I have read somewhere (either in this thread or a related one) that silver paint actually increases the heat dissipation of something. You might bring the temperature down one or two degrees simply by spraying your board with silver spray paint.

However, I would suggest not doing this to an overclocked motherboard. You might want to run your own tests with an old motherboard: take a temperature reading without paint at stock speeds, then overclock. Then take another reading with paint at stock speeds, and overlock. If you can reach the same speed and reliability with the paint, then you should be fine for your other board.

10. theCrusifix

Someone should do this test before painting so that everyone knows...its too late for me..and i'm changing the colors of the case, Its gonna be a Chicago Cubs case ://

11. opus13

opus13 What's a Dremel?

if silver paint actually does have a better dissipative nature due to metallic content or density, then its also going to be conductive. not a good idea.

12. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

i tryed it works! it runs cooler then with out the paint lol

13. theCrusifix

sweet, thanks for sharing the info!

14. hacker 8991

Silver paint contains tiny specs of aluminum. They are too small to conduct anything; they wouldn't be able to span the distance between any two contacts.

And hobbs, do you have any pictures, or any more specific information?

15. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Yeah I want to see pics and temp readings, like screenshots. If silver is better then a copper based paint will be even better.

I can see the thread spawning a new product that you spray on you board for overclockers. Mark my words so one will release something like this a in a few months. LOL

16. theCrusifix

17. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

That looks cool, witj a UV pen. I want to try that now. But I duot officel supply stores with have it in my neck of the woods.

18. quantum-modder

quantum-modder What's a Dremel?

i dont get it why paint a perfcly pretty mother board ?????

19. quadmodz

quadmodz What's a Dremel?

may i know the reason why you did that on the mobo + video + etc. LOL

20. quadmodz

quadmodz What's a Dremel?

but the paint looks perfect. :D

Tags: