1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:ONE | Detail Shots and Explanations | UPDATE:11-20

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DETN8R, 30 Dec 2002.

1. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Oh ok.

Yeh, didn't think they needed to be.

Uh, I dunno! :lol: Maybe to like.. wire manage from the side, which is pointless.

2. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Yeah, Ive had the idea to make a chrome plexi box for awhile now.

3. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

The joint between brass fins and JB Weld or bondo is very likely to crack again sometime as they are very diferent materials one much more stiff than the other. If you want a joint that stays perfect I only see two solutions: cut a small cleft between them and leave it that way or use an elastic material to fill it.

4. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

I have some plans on fixing the it in place with some fiberglass.

That stuff is fun. Just played around with it today.

Expect pics with fiberglass tomarrow.

5. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Yesterday I decided to jump right in and apply some fiberglass to some the cracks of the case.

A few shots, You can see my obvious lack of skills with this new material:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a shot of the main area that was my original reason for trying this material out. This area was constantly flexing and crack and I need it to be solid.
    [​IMG]

I got a little bit of the fiberglass resin on the outside of the case but I should be able to sand it down no problem, or even just scrape it off with an exacto knife.

Also, It appears god hates me and wants to impede my work on the base. A fin came loose from the left set and while I was resoldering the base melted a bit and sunk in so I had to strip away all the bondo and start again.
    [​IMG]

I decided to shape the base a bit:
    [​IMG]

After applying some more pantyhose and epoxy I applied some more bondo.
    [​IMG]

I took this opportunity to resolder the screw that had come off as well.

I think I have the molding down so Im confident that this shouldnt be a huge setback. Im a bit unsure on how to start the other fins because the other sets are kind of close to eachother so I dont know how I would go about sanding them.

6. Solarius

Solarius What's a Dremel?

Certainly learning a lot about case repair. :) Can't wait to see how it all turns out so I can know weather to hit the save or erase button in my head. :eeek:

You guys have inspired me to build my own workshop in my attic. I'll include its creation at the begining of my first project log.. once I hammer it out. :)

7. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

:lol:

Are the brass fins worth all the trouble now?

8. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Its good to see im inspireing someone solarius. I dont even have a workshop. My workshop consists of a stool and a whole bunch of miscelaneous tools thrown about my bedroom.

And abnormal, I guess so. Had I known what I know now this would have been much easier.

On a lighter note, Im back to where I was before I had this accident. The left fins are again molded, despite a few parts I need to touch up there done again.

9. Cowinacape

Cowinacape What's a Dremel?

We definetly have to give you two thumbs up for your persistence with this project! Good luck with those nasty fins, show them who's boss!

10. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Thanks alot Cowinacape.

11. [twig]clown

[twig]clown What's a Dremel?

Don't know if i have posted on here before. But have been following since beginning, and have read every post since. Just wanted to say great work all the way, and to highlight what Cowinacape said, your persistance with this project, the fins, its just inspiring on its own! :rock:

I am dieing to know what colour your going to paint it all in too, let us know as soon as you have decided!

Best of luck!

-cLoWn

12. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Me Too Twig, me too.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate you following the log.

13. flacowboy

flacowboy What's a Dremel?

u know u might want to try that fiberglass on ur fins to mold it in to the case since it is stronger then the bondo and will hold better and u can mlod it like u do the pantyhose jsut a thought looking good though hang in there on those fins i am sure u will get it how u want it to look great job

14. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

To late flacowboy.

Expect an update tomarrow. I have just begun molding the right set of fins.

15. flacowboy

flacowboy What's a Dremel?

figered it was but thought it might be worth a shot

16. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

thanks for trying.

I expect these next 2 sets to go along smoothly except for one area that will require a bit of thinking.

17. Znurf

Znurf What's a Dremel?

Hehe, yes, but you misunderstood me :) ofcourse i knew you werent going to hold that thing in the air for all eternity :p i ment if you look at those pics you see the source of the light on the GROUND :) its a lighter spot in the middle of the light, if you know what i mean :)

18. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Im still not following you.

I want the light to be visibily on the ground. Thats the effect im going for.

19. [twig]clown

[twig]clown What's a Dremel?

I think what he is trying to say is that the light on the ground is uneven, because the source is shinning directly down out of the slits, and in some places it is just the glow of the light coming down. It is hard to get even light over a small place with limited mounting positions for the source.

Well, hope that helped, and I hope I understood right :confused:

-cLoWn

20. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Even still, I cant get the light to reflect off the brass and down in the way I want it. Im happy with the results im getting so I dont expect to change my plans. and Im going to to toy around with it a bit so you dont see that little circular area of bright light.