1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster What hardware have you broken?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sc0rian, 23 Apr 2003.

1. arjo_reich

arjo_reich What's a Dremel?

I have a friend in Australia by the name Daniel Bowen who got a little too frustrated with his VCR one day. So, in the spirit of the thread, I humbly submit his guide on How to Break a VCR...

I'm still trying to convince him to do sequel with his old PC :thumb:

2. onarahosting

onarahosting What's a Dremel?

right today was fun, just blew the crap out of a blue and white G3 Mac, shorted and killed a power supply and blew a couple of super bright LED's. And it's only lunchtime.

3. roboBOT

roboBOT What's a Dremel?

dropped a screw on my mobo and fried the onboard sound. good excuse to get a soundcard, though.

4. X_VADER_X

X_VADER_X What's a Dremel?

A Gateway POS... After told to clean it... Could of been my dad taking out a card then putting it back in but it still worked after that but not the day after... it will forever be a mystery...

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I don't know if I had an actual list going, but if so, add a 6800GT PCI-E to it. Waterblock install gone very wrong - I either shorted or crushed the voltage regulator chips. Anyways it's already back from RMA so all is well and good (and I'm up a pair of DVI converters)

6. Lowtryx

Lowtryx What's a Dremel?

Thankfully, my list really isn't that big.

Recently, through total stupidity, I fried my brand new Gigabyte Mainboard...
    Mouse=Destroyed.
    Blew a 100-200 watt power supply a few years back.
    Wrecked the heat sink on an Nvidia TNT2.
    Tore the ground wire pin from the molex on my dual fan Hard Drive cooler accidentally.
    attempting to round my IDE cables a while back, I cut right into at least 3 wires... First attempt, boo-urns :)

If I can remember more later I'll post it.

7. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

hmm iv now got a dead 6800nu PCI-E, gonna cut the core out and get some pix :dremel:

8. Sputnik

Sputnik What's a Dremel?

I can only remember the things done to my P4 computer.

The first time it broke was when I overclocked it (from 3.0GHz to 3.6GHz), some how the AGP port blew, but I could still use a PCI graphics card (1Mb) which I was not prepared to do (even with a larger PCI graphics card).

Then my motherboard blew again, can't remember why!

I took my computer to a friends house for a LAN. Plugged in the power and booted, all fine. Then had to shutdown and re-arrange plugs, as soon as I plugged my PC back in, I heard a "pop" and smelt a faint burning smell. Pushed the power button and nothing happened besides the HDD spinning up. End of that mobo.

I got a new mobo (Biostar, absolute crap) it kept on restarting, so I put it aside in its box and got a new mobo.

Now I have my blessed Gigabyte 865PE, the dumb@$$ who replaced my motherboard the first time wouldn't give me my original 875P, "They had no stock."

My PIII is on its third DVD-ROM.

The worst was when I was building a P4 rig for a friend. I put every thing together and turned it on and went into the BIOS. The CPU was at 45ºC which I thought was high for idling. I shutdown, unplugged every thing and took off the CPU fan. I tried to remove the heatsink but it was stuck, so I jiggled it, it came loose. I stood and looked in shock and I felt absolutely cold and I began to sweat severely. THE CPU WAS NOT IN ITS SOCKET!!! I stood there for a minute and then slowing turned the over heatsink (which I was still holding), and there it was, stuck. I examined the pins and to my holy and blessed relief, ALL the pins where still in contact! Overall the PC still works! Now that was a close shave!

Sputnik :hehe:

9. fizban

fizban What's a Dremel?

recently fried a 1.4ghz AMD, because I forgot to put a heat sink on it before turning it on... :duh: I was working on a couple of boxes at the same time, next thing I know I smelled smoke and I was like 'crap' there goes that proc... at least it was given to me instead of me paying money for it.

-Fiz

10. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

i did that but i RMAed it lol :worried:

11. akanekal

akanekal What's a Dremel?

Well:
    I blew up something on a new mobo by sticking the PSU voltage too high,
    I broke a load of pins on a new P4 3.2,
    I broke a 100gig Western Digital by messing up the HDD password key when trying to mod my Xbox,
    Then I broke the Xbox,
    Finally, I kinda smashed the insides of soldering iron by dropping it from a considerable high

12. Sterkenburg

Sterkenburg To mod or not to mod...

I destroyed a mobo the other day, and then accedentally fried the P4 chip from it (don't ask) with one measley screw.

I think the Win 3.1 computer I have in my basement has finally gone under (I got it for free from my mom's work), and the computer I painted and upgraded has some glitchey graphics drivers in it that somehow changed the BIOS and now my computer can't get higher than 16 colours at whatever's lower than 600 x 800 resolution.

I also fried a 17 inch CRT monitor the other day, I turned it on and it started smoking and now it just buzzes like my clothes dryer when it's done drying stuff.

Other things I've fried or have been uh vandalized kinda include a computer that got left outside in the rain and then all of the cables (including the PSU cables) disappeared, and a couple of floppy drives that were all dying at the same time. I'm glad I have this computer here though, this thing is a tank. (Though it has Windows XP Home SP2 on it. It works fine, but I hate SP2. Only because everyone else does though.)

I got to destroy some old school computers too, man I had the time of my life then.

I've also fried the usual LEDs (Trying to see how much voltage they can take I was expecting them to explode, mine just got all hot and melted or died.) the usual modems (I have 4 working ones in the bottom of a drawer, I'm not too worried) and I think I screwed up the optical drive on my XBOX when I dropped it down the stairs about half an hour ago.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2005
  13. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

This is a huge warning to anyone taking off a CD DRIVE BEZEL. Whatever you do, open the drive while its installed or at least connected to a computer first! in my experience, the stupid pinhole opening button DOES NOT WORK AT ALL! i broke 2 drives using it, and now im out a CDRW burner and a couple good readers. DONT USE THE PINHOLE DRIVE OPENING BUTTON! just a warning.

14. Firehed

Yeah, you must not be hitting the little ejecting tab inside. The tray actually pops out a centimeter or so if it works.

15. Sterkenburg

Sterkenburg To mod or not to mod...

Always worked for me, I just jam a paperclip in too.

Come to think of it, I've never had a problem, though I tend to scratch the heck out of the bezel before the paperclip hits the hole.

16. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

yer the paper clip thing works , on a down note i killed my first bit of hardware the other day, killed a highly overclocking inno3d 6800gt, due to waterdammage :(

17. MrSeanKon

MrSeanKon Minimodder

:D I have damaged many things until this moment... :D
    The last was a Barton 2500+ LOL Cache Level 2 became 64KB. :D
    Reason?
    Teravolts! :naughty:

18. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Katrina took out my watercooled 3000+ Winnie at 2.9GHz... Knocked it over and smashed it all...

19. Firehed

Eww gross Kayin, but at least it wasn't you.

My Aunt managed to kill her laptop's hard drive, no idea how. Maybe it was just a normal failure. Note to all: if starting a business, back stuff up. I'm probably going to be building her a machine with RAID1 and a DVD burner now, so yay for me.

20. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

i did my own custom wiring job on my wood/acrylic case, and i fried my dvd drive, two power cables, my fan controller and my psu, the only thing that was wired correctly the first time was the on/off switch that started the whole thing