1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Woody by zwiks

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by zwiks, 5 Jan 2008.

1. zwiks

zwiks My avatar: :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey my name is Mads R, and im 15 years old. Im comming for a little country called Denmark.
    This is my first serious project, but i hope it is going to be cool. :D :D

I got the idea to the case in a woodwork lesson i had.. and i started immediately.

In the beginnign the hardware inside the case, isent that great, but that will change along the road.
    Actruly i dont have alot of money :D:D, but i can assure you that it will be great.

The PC is going to be me main computer, cuz right now I only use my laptop.. not great. :D

Here is some pictures.. [Remember im not done :p it needs some paint an a little bit of :dremel: [DREMEL:D]]

[​IMG]
    Before i started on the case i paintet the PSU

[​IMG]
    Here is the hardware.. NOT something special.. :(

[​IMG]
    Here is the "Donor-PC-case" i used.. heh it needs a vacuum-cleaing alot :D

[​IMG]
    I drilled a hole for the lille speaker.. :dremel: :D

[​IMG]
    Here is the front part of the PC.. [Remember it needs a paintjob :p]

[​IMG]
    Here is the top part of the PC.. [Remember it needs a paintjob :p]

[​IMG]
    Here is the right side part of the PC.. [Remember it needs a paintjob :p]

[​IMG]
    Here is the left side part of the PC.. witch i make a hole in, and cut some plexiglass for. [Remember it needs a paintjob :p]

[​IMG]
    Here is the backside of the right panel on the PC.. i cutted the "Metal-thing" out from the "donor-PC-case" i used [Remember it needs a paintjob :p]

[​IMG]
    Ups .. i pushet to hard...:grr: :waah: :duh: Now i have to cut a new piece. :waah: :duh:

[​IMG]
    And finaly i have to paint

Goodbye :D

..More to come :D

Last edited: 2 Jun 2010
  2. zwiks

Update the 1st of January 2008

Hey.. now i have paintet my case.. and i turned out pretty well i think :D

[​IMG]
    ..Those to look nice together hehe :D

^^The blitz on the camera i makeing a little "flash-thing" on the picture :S sorry :D

Thats all for now :p See ya :D

Last edited: 5 Jan 2008
  3. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Hey, thats some pretty good painting. Got any plans, or Sketchup Models for us to see?

4. zwiks

Yeah ofcourse ! ..

[​IMG]
    Its not so good.. but i thinks that i gives you a idea how is should be in the end :D :p

Im thinking of a dim-black paint. What do you think ?? :D

Last edited: 25 Jan 2008
  5. zwiks

What i just ordered :D

This is what i just ordered..

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Jan 2008
  6. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

when you said "dim Black Paint", did you mean Flat Black?

7. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Looks good so far.

Aren't you going to paint the wood? (just kidding, I saw your many reminders :D).

I think that flat/dim black could work for you. The finishing process will be greatly simplified since you won't need to sand and plosh as much as you would for a glossy finish.

What type of wood are you using? That looks like MDF to me. May I suggest getting some caster wheels for the bottom of the case? If you are going to be using that much MDF, your back will love the wheels.

8. zwiks

Thanks ...

Hehe.. im comming from denmark .. and i diden´t knew hvad the word meaning: "No gloss" was called.. so i lokked it up in the directionary .. and i was called "Dim" .. so i called it "Dim- black???" hehe :D :D ...

. as regard to the wheels i think i dont put some on.. im 15 years old and i train weakly.. so i dont have (or get) bag problems :p :D

Yes it is MDF .. and it very nice i think :p -..

Remember i need to cut down the edge around the plexiglass windows.. i looks so ugly right now..

and im think of maby making a blow hole on the top of the case.. [Design notes will come in 15 minnuts] .. cuz airflow is very importent in a case of wood [i heard :D] .. but thanks for the comment.. it means alot to me.. its allways good with some suggestions .. :p

.. so i leaving .. i have a little bit of :dremel: to do :p :D

9. zwiks

New idea..

I just got a new idea...

Imagin you are looking at the top of the case .....
    You are looking like a little child... just studying what im doing...

First i cut a hole in the top of the case.. and then a make a new hole inside the hole... what do you see????
    And you answer; "THIS:"
    [​IMG]

Then i put a pretty ugly fan to the big hole.. and again i ask what do you see????
    [​IMG]

Then i cut small pieces of wood to cover the edge og the small hole.. and again i ask what do you see????
    [​IMG]

Then i cut a piece of plexiglass and i glue it on the frame i just made.. and again i ask what do you see????
    [​IMG]

After all that i ask you; "What do you think about this idea????"

Last edited: 19 Jan 2008
  10. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

if i was little child then what do i say?
    i say this:
    i say is good

...but one problem, the fan won't blow through plexiglass unless you have alot of holes, which is very hard to do without cracking the plexi. Use a nice grill with nice screws instead of the plexi, and then you have a blow hole :D

11. modgodtanvir

Its pretty good, especially seeing as it is your first mod.

Your English is very good. In fact, that is a point to be made. Some of the best modders on these forums are European and have first languages of German, Dutch, Danish and all sorts of other languages, and yet you wouldn't notice at all because their English is so good.

I think that us English modders should increase our efforts to learn second languages (even just phrases) and this community would change from being one of the best communities on the web, to being the best, on or off the web.

Back on topic:
    I would also recommend a pre-made grille, or if you are going to go matte-black, maybe a custom made one, using some mesh/chicken wire, to give that cool mechanical effect...

[​IMG]

Either way, I'm glad to see you are taking your time and trying out new techniques and ideas, which is essential for developing your modding technique, and I wish you the best of luck :dremel:.

12. Stuey

I think that instead, you could flip the board so that the top piece is actually covering the sides of the fan. That will both save on materials, keep things simpler, and achieve a similar effect.

13. zwiks

Then i say ...
    THANKS, THANKS & THANKS ...
    .. its just like comment like that i enjoy so much.. its great guys.. thanks ..

as regard to the fan grill .. i think im buyin it :p maybe youre right .. it is maybe to hard to cut many holes in plexi glass..
    i'll just have to fork out :D

and i think you have a point in what youre saying modgodtanvir .. it could be more international.. but it also fine the way it are now :D .. i dont know :p

14. zwiks

A new part

I think that i buy this:
    [​IMG]
    I can get it for:
    15.13 USD
    10.27 EUR
    7.65 GBP
    76,53 DKR

What do you think ?? Should i buy it ?

15. modgodtanvir

Go for it. Just make sure its the correct size :thumb:

16. zwiks

Yeah .. i will go for it now for sure...

i was think of put some putty frow the main top-piece to the top of the square frame like this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Jan 2008
  17. zwiks

New images

YEAHH!! NEW IMAGES... BUT REMEMBER I NEED TO PUTTY THE CRACKS AND PAINT IT !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BUT REMEMBER I NEED TO PUTTY THE CRACKS AND PAINT IT !!

18. Snafu-X-

Snafu-X- What's a Dremel?

What if you raised the frame under the plexi on pegs, so the air could vent out the sides, while maintaining your theme

19. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I like the way the edges of the case are rounded. I think you should round the edges of the nice big case window you cut out.
    I think you should round the edges of the blowhole a little bit. This will help the putty to blend the blowhole to the case smoothly.

I see a small issue with that grill - it looks nice but because it is cut round/wavy, there will be 8 small gaps, 2 on each side, between the grill & the square blowhole.
    In a way who cares, because the gaps will be small, no-one will fit their finger in there, but there is an option which can look nicer...

One option is to just get some mesh from a hardware store. You can round the edges of the blowhole, then cut the mesh so it's just big enough to meet the rounded edges of the blowhole, then glue the mesh in place. When it's dry you can putty the edges of the blowhole. When that's dry you can sand & reputty if it needs it. When it's good you can paint. When the paint is dry it's good to sand again and you can see if anywhere needs a little more putty, and repaint.

This will give you a very smooth flowing blowhole. You must be carefull to not put too much paint on the grill, or it will look bad. Only let a little paint get on the grill. If there is too much paint on the grill it can be cleaned up and resprayed, but practise painting some off cut grill first is good.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2008
  20. Stuey

How have you been rounding the edges of the wood, with a power tool (i.e. router), or sandin? Also, PLEASE reduce your use of large bold fonts.

Using a regular font is much easier and pleasing to read. You seem very excited, which is good, and your english skills are impessive as well.

Finally, I don't think that you should use putty. Instead, try to stick with your "wood" theme. Try to find some "wood trim molding." It may be called something else, but it's basically small narrow pieces of wood used as decorative trim. All you have to do is cut it down to size and attach it in place.