1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: TJ 180

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by WiK1d, 24 Dec 2006.

1. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Hmmmmm...just think half inch jobbies in the case :D ooooooooohhhhhh yyyeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh

Cool dude :D Have a blast.

2. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

I need help. Please. Someone.

[​IMG]

The middle wire is an original PSU cable. So the other two look exactly the same compared to each other (not to the yellow one) with the right one having thicker insulation. Do you guys think it's safe to use the thinner wire. What I'm gonna do is I'm gonna solder it to my 6 Pin PCI-E cable and plug it into the GFX card...kickstart the Hiper to give the XTX power and overclock the card and bench...see if the wires can handle the strain is it is gonna be the XTX that will draw the most power.

So do you guys think that's a good idea or did I talk in circles?

3. derbaum

derbaum What's a Dremel?

if you mean you are afraid of the ohmic resistance of your new cable and a possible fire, resulting of overheating the cable ... you made yourself absolutely clear.
    i am sure you can calculate that out by lookin for consumed power, heat transfer, resistance of the cable, but that would be very tricky.
    tryin out is a lot easier. if the cable gets warmer then .. mhh 60°c ... they are 2 thin. i dont believe they go up in smoke in seconds. there will be plenty of time to pull the plug!

4. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Okay. So another thing I want to know. If the cable does decide to go poop will it take my card/psu with it?

5. marauder16

marauder16 What's a Dremel?

who knows, PSU I don't believe, but the card I'm almost positive it will, these GFX cards are very sensitive on power losses, but let's hope it won't. I also think you should try, but why do you think your card won't receive enough power through the PCI Express? it should give it more than enough and only raising the voltage of the card will help you but you won't do that this way...

6. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

No see. I have to rewire most of my PSU with that cable. So the most power hungry component in my PC is the XTX and I am going to test my PSU rewiring with that. I'm scared that the cables are too thin and will melt off. It's not about the power useage at all. I just want to see that my cables are good. Maybe instead of using my card I should use something else that draws about 10A? How much power does the XTX draw?

To test the cables I'm going to overclock the card to the max in the ATI Drivers...that's 690/Something. And then loop 3DMark and feel if the wires get hot. Or melt :| *Shudder*

Man I can talk in circles when I have the time sometimes :|

Cheers
    Bertus

7. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

So today I stripped the case so I can paint it :D

Marked out all the Rivets I need to drill out.

[​IMG]

I am very ashamed of this part :( It's a very very rough cut and luckily will not be seen :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drive bays out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two part drive bay is awesome. Because I have to drill holes through both :D

[​IMG]

Motherboard Panel Out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here comes the crappy part. Soap and Water. Cleaning all the dirt and waterspills.

[​IMG]

I ended up stripping the whole case so I could clean in every corner. But I might be able to get at 120MM fan infront of the Hard Drives now.

[​IMG]

Here's all the parts I took out today.

[​IMG]

And everything stacked in the case

[​IMG]

8. marauder16

hey, how did you remove the top plastic? I couldn't find a way to remove it, even with popping the rivets out, did you have to brake it or sth? :confused:

9. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

No. It's stuck on with glue so I just slowly pulled it off..?

10. marauder16

aw thought so, I think I'm not going to do this, don't wanna glue it back, but thanks for help ;)

11. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Here she is in all her glory, Actually no. Here she is still naked.

[​IMG]

The Front

[​IMG]

The Devider Panel Thing

[​IMG]

The Back

[​IMG]

Motherboard Panel

[​IMG]

Drive Rail and Rear IO Panel Thing

[​IMG]

Drive Cage

[​IMG]

Everything Painted so far Installed

[​IMG]

With The Front Panel On

[​IMG]

12. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

The Subject To Be Rewired

[​IMG]

The 6 Wires Needed

[​IMG]

The First Part Done!

[​IMG]

After Some Stuggling the Complete Wire

[​IMG]

And what is a mod if it isn't nice? :D (PS. That is just some Cola I spilt on it :\ ..whoops)

[​IMG]

Still need to trim it a bit I see :\

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So Now I have a Question. Look in the First Pic again. The Cables are Yellow Black Red. Wait. Look again. Shouldn't it be Yellow Black Black Red? Please. Someone? I know I used this cable for a long time. But tell me why it is like that.

13. KlavKalashj

KlavKalashj What's a Dremel?

"Very nice, very nice, how much?" (Borat:D)
    I like it! Good that u update often too;)

14. marauder16

don't know the answer to your question P but I want to ask you sth, what did you use for painting? what type of paint did you use? did you do anything else except rubbing it with soap and water? what did you use to replace the popped rivets after putting the case back together? and why didn't you dismantle the HDD cage before you painted it?
    Your case looks great so far, the black so much suits the P180, can't imagine why did they ever make it silver... :thumb:

15. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

LOL! Cool thanks dude :D I appreciate the Interest

I used plain Matt Black Tin Spraypaint. I just cleaned the case properly and gave it two coats primer and many coats black. I still have to rivit the case back together. And I will just use rivits again. I did actually dismantle the HDD Cage.

Thanks for the kind words. And I was thinking the same thing. Damn...Stock P180 in black would look so sexy.

Thanks for all the interest so far. Waiting for one of the big guns to reply though. Sigh. Must be a n00bish mod still :p

16. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

I launched a site for the mod today. Let me know what you think

Visit it at Project: Carbon P180

17. marauder16

nice little site, but your pic on the bottom of it doesn't seem to show completely, seems it's too big, and I hope you won't stop updating here ;)
    (btw. I'm in the painting phase too =) )

18. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Thanks. I see that the page middle bar thing on the site where the text is, is too thin. Ah heck. I don't care...hehe. And I will continue posting here. Just easier to show someone my mod and point them to the website instead of pointing them to the forums (My mod is posted on 3 diffirent ones)

19. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Showerhose sneak peak. Need to cut the two pieces...and need some ends...then I'll be set :D

Man I love my holesaw. I got a new one. Because DAE lost mine he lent....hehe n00bie...but he bought me a new one...thanks dude! Here's some holes.

[​IMG]

And here is a little peak of what the showerhose should look like... :D

[​IMG]

That's it for now. More work tomorrow.

20. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

Sweet looks very nice keep up the good ork, im watchign closly, nice job!

Tags: