1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you keep yourself cool in summer?

Discussion in 'General' started by MrWillyWonka, 4 May 2006.

1. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

go outside?
    Its great having some mates round in your sun filled garden with music in the background, few beers :rock:

2. Touchwood

Touchwood What's a Dremel?

I just take a jumper or two off. Works a treat!!

3. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Same thing with Hong Kong but with the nice heavy feeling of MOISTURE resting on you 24/7 just feels fresh doesn't it. :) [note, extreme sarcasm]

4. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Usually a few turns into many and then you get overheated.

Having friends with pools is always a very nice nice way to cool off. Or there is also my prefered way, it involves 2 wheels, 750cc's, and some open road. :D

5. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I'm seriously going to have to stop Folding this summer. It's far too hot already, and it's only May!

6. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Eeeee I think I need a thread revival here... its 33C in my room and outdoor temp in the shade is currently 36C and it's supposed to be HOTTER tomorrow :S And my rig seem to be crashing a lot this week...

Anyone reccomend air conditioning at a reasonable price?

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Best thing you can aim for is a portable unit wonka. You're talking around £100 IIRC, and you need to put a big tube thing out of a window or something for the unit to suck air in generally. They're reasonably effective for a single room though, I've used one in London several times and it does take disgusting temperatures right down to a bearable level.

w00t for the north of Scotland tbh, the sun seems to go away a lot during the day.

8. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

hit 100 F in austin today (37.78 C). kept cool with lots of iced tea and cold washcloths. sucks not having ac in my truck though, as the drive home in the afternoons drag on forever....

9. Cardan

Cardan What's a Dremel?

was 93 here in michigan today. plus humidity made it much worse

window ac ***

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

The little ghetto thermometer in my room is reading about 88f, and the ambient temp probe on my PC was giving me nearly 35c. Oh yeah, this is at quarter of midnight. My solution was to finally move my gigabit switch and fileserver into the basement where they belonged. That plus turning off the PC and just posting from the (overly hot) laptop helped a bit. Ceiling fan going as fast as I can safely run it (bunk bed - I'll slice my head open if I'm not careful, and it further sucks because I'm a foot from the ceiling in the hottest room in the house) and my doublewide window open as wide as it goes. And where I live, we rarely see summer days over about 85f, and only a couple days in that range when we have it (so almost nobody has AC, which makes work actually somewhat enjoyable). Last four days have been about 95f :(

That plus being semi-nocturnal. Be awake at night and sleep during the heat of the day. It's still unpleasantly warm, but it makes a difference. I plan to pick up a standalone fan tomorrow, even though it's supposed to be about ten degrees (f) cooler. Would have got one today, but didn't think of it somehow (going to sleep at noon, only to get up for our first-ever meeing at work at four, after an eight-mile bikeride at 5:30am..... it does strange things to your head!)

I just wish I was a proper geek with a basement room. It's a LOT cooler down there. Well it was anyways, we'll see what dumping the fileserver down there does.

11. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I WANT HOT WEATHER!!! Up here we are lucky to get 28!
    I consider moving to the south.

12. daguuy

daguuy I hate lolcats

it got up to around 102F and 70% humidity (ouch!) so i spent most of my time in the basement. it's a whole lot cooler down there than it is upstairs

13. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I love the weather the last few days when I'm awake, but not when I wanna sleep. I sleep on the second floor, right under the roof.. and it is hot HOT HOT! I got into bed at 6am this morning and at 10am I was already up because I was starting to melt!

It's just too damn hot to sleep! I'm going to get into my parent's bed in a few minutes (first floor), turned there portable airco on so it can cool down a bit. They have a tube that you have to put true the window, not for sucking in air, but for blowing out the hot air. So it is important to put that out the room it is working in or it will be even hotter then before.

Arghhhh have to work tonight and I have to sleeeeeeep!!!

L

14. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

in work i have a desk fan plonked right beside me haaha, plus the doors open,

15. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

can we switch homes? it was 42C outside today in the shade. thats 108 FRICKIN DEGREES F!!!!!!! the handles inside my car were drooping! they are made of hard plastic!

i work at safeway (a very large american grocery store) and i find as many excuses to go back in the dairy cooler as possible. i take my breaks there, lunches, sometimes i just go there and say i had to go to the bathroom (the cooler and where i'm supposed to be are on different sides of the store, so this works.)

i get heatstroke too damn easily, i need to move to either a higher elevation or higher latitude

16. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

the english (being english myself, i have the right to point this out) are a weird bunch. We whine when its raining all winter and most of the rest of the year, and then when we get some awesome weather we sit in doors wittering on about how hot it is... My best advice is, get ure swimming stuff on and go throw a water bomb at the neighbours and start the most huge waterfight! Oh and if ure of the pale skin variety remember to lather yourself in suncream.

At home i just leave all the windows open and stick my fan on the window sill. There useless in the room as they just move hot air arround.

17. dirty_harry

dirty_harry nothing beats german engineering

i live in southwest germany.
    while sleeping, i have a 120mm fan running (230v). in front of the computer, i need no fan, it's cool enough, even at midday.

normally there are up to 35°C locally outside.

18. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

big fan :) buckets of water and evap air for the house
    we have proper aircons at work though

the only thing i have going for me here is that its normally a dry heat but its HOT :(

JAN
    Mean Daily Max Temp (deg C)
    Mean no. Days, Max >= 40.0 deg C
    Mean no. Days, Max >= 35.0 deg C
    Mean no. Days, Max >= 30.0 deg C

i mean last year we had 14 days in a row where the max was over 40 °c and the min was over 35°C :(

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_015590.shtml

19. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

hmm let's see how do i keep cool during our hot but brief summers in ottawa.

At Work: AC :D
    At Home: AC + Pool (ya i know, i suck :D )

for those that care temps in the summer sit around 21 celsius in the morning, mid day they can range from 25-32 celsius, and in the evening it vaires almost as much as gas prices.

btw those temps are the raw temp they don't include the humidex.

20. fev

fev Industry Fallout

well standing outside in the sun today average of 34 C, it hurt... no possible way to keep cool. Yesterday i drank 5 litres of water and didn't goto the toilet once.

mmmmm sweat