1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Metal Slug - [Hardware @ Dec. 1st]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Captain Slug, 5 Jan 2007.

1. marauder16

marauder16 What's a Dremel?

the mobo cover looks very cool, but won't there be a problem with no airflow over many mobo components, like mosfets or so?

2. ikra

ikra What's a Dremel?

the tubing on the whole system.. and the mobo cover.. amazing!

3. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

The fan louver on the rear intake fan forces air underneath and through the motherboard cover cooling all of the MOSfets and ICs underneath. This why the cover both does not extend all the way to the edge of the case, and has mesh over the northbridge heatsink allowing ventilation. Aside from aesthetic reasons, this was the main reason why the fan louvers were made.
    The airflow output coming from the radiator is cooling the component side of the video card as well.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Im very impressed Slug. Not only is this a brillian Mod, but its actually moving very fast.

Here, you can have some stars...

5. Captain Slug

Leak-tested the pump in the bathroom sink. The epoxy sealant did its job.
    I was going to do other stuff today but my arms hurt and I keep dropping things so it will have to wait until Monday.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2007
  6. Captain Slug

Did quite a bit of tinkering with the loop Saturday night (despite my hands being crampy lumps of meat) and discovered a better location for the Tee. I also swippy-swapped the locations of the radiator and its fan so that I can use the instant-tube fittings on the radiator. No more brass elbows :clap:

The radiator with the fittings installed. Those short lengths of polyester tube that I cut and smoothed will allow me to use 1/2" ID PVC tubing for two connections that are a little too fiddly to make with polyethylene tubing.
    [​IMG]
    And here's the pump all fixed. The epoxy sealant on the outlet worked perfectly. And I made a threading adapter for the outlet using a left-over 1/2" barb to 1/2" NPT so that I can use an instant-tube fitting there as well.
    [​IMG]
    And here's the bigger change. The Tee will now be going into this corner of the case. Connected to two swivel fittings it will go inbetween the CPU block and the pump inlet.
    [​IMG]
    This will allow me to more easily fill the loop and tip in several directions while the loop is bleeding. I can fill the loop with the case up-side-down and drain it when it's right-side-up. It will also make the loop a good deal cleaner so I can have the case entirely devoid of visible brass parts.
    Just have to wait for more parts to come in the mail...

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Nice work man :thumb:

EDIT: 4am :eeek: now thats dedication.

8. galimim

galimim What's a Dremel?

Cool mod but relay, get some sleep

9. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Nice! :thumb:

Keep up the good work!

10. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

That mod is pure sex :baby:

11. ikra

ikra What's a Dremel?

its getting nicer and nicer every day :D

12. Snafu-X-

Snafu-X- What's a Dremel?

Are you going to have any more acrylic inside the case? I've looked at the pics a couple times in the last few days, and every time I do, the acrylic video card bracket leaps out at me as not matching the rest of the case. There is a predominance of black/gray metal in there, and as it looks now, that bracket just doesn't fit. Now, if there is going to be more acrylic in the case somewhere to give it visual balance, then it's all good. Just wanted to give you an outside opinion, disregard as you like.

13. Captain Slug

I said quite a while ago that I plan to paint it. I'm still in the mock-up phase of the project and haven't gotten to any of the finishing work. I may even completely remake it out of PVC at a later point.

14. Captain Slug

Remade the power cord because I wasn't happy with the huge 14awg yellow appliance cord. So instead I braided 3 14awg wires and covered them with heatshrink.
    [​IMG]

15. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

You know you're l337 when you start modding power cords...

16. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

Where did you get that male three pin Cap? I've been passively looking around for one, but never seen anything that would work.

Beautiful case so far. You do good work.

17. Captain Slug

It's not hard to make your own power cord and I've done it before for other projects.
    If you want to make your own you need a NEMA 5-15P connector (the 3-prong to go into your wall outlet), and an IEC 320 C13 power plug (to go in your PSU). Then use 14awg wire or a multi-conductor cable.
    You can get NEMA 5-15P connectors from almost any store that carries electrical supplies, even Home Depot has them. IEC 320 C13 power plug will have to be ordered from electronics supply companies like Mouser or Digikey.
    You will also need a multimeter so that you can be sure you're made your new cable so that it's wired identically to a standard PSU cable.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2007
  18. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

The to-PSU connector was what I was referring to. In my incredible amount of thinking time and equally incredible low budget and work time I keep thinking about an industrial PC, just never been able to find that connector. Thanks man, keep up the good work. :thumb:

19. JazX101

JazX101 What's a Dremel?

Yay for custom power cables, I hate it that I have to have an 4 way plug to run my computer with MINIMUM setup.
    Jaz_knos

20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I love projects with such an dedication and attention to details. The amount of work is way too high for me but I love what you guys are doing.
    Finish that one and let us :jawdrop: all again with your next one. :)