1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Metal Slug - [Hardware @ Dec. 1st]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Captain Slug, 5 Jan 2007.

1. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Loop is setup and leak-free. The connections to and from the radiator are run with 7/16" ID 5/8" OD opaque black PVC tubing on polyester tube to stem adapters I made. I really really love this final setup because now all of the connections use instant tube fittings which allow you to disconnect any part of the loop easily. The Tee is also installed in it's final location. I can unscrew the hose separator and lever it outside of the case.
    [​IMG]
    I also replaced the brass thumb nuts that were holding the CPU waterblock down with acetal/aluminum ones. This entire machine is now completely uniform in terms of color and texture. The palette has been reduced to Nickel, Black, and Grey.
    [​IMG]
    The last items to tackle colorwise is making a new video card support out of PVC, and getting the steel frame parts powder-coated satin black.

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

3. RonaldoR9

RonaldoR9 What's a Dremel?

wow u never fail to amaze its fantastic

so these"instant tube fittings " you dont need clamps or anything to secure them
    do they work like compression fittings or what? u are using 1/2 inch tubing

im asking beacuse i always wanted to use compression fittings exept they dont make it for 1/2 inch tubing do u have a link to wer u bought those

thanks

keep up the good work

4. Captain Slug

1. Correct. They work very differently from other fittings.
    2. No, I am using 3/8" ID semi-rigid polyethylene tubing that has a 1/2" OD. Instant tube fittings are measured by the outer diameter of the tubing they are made to seal because they seal from the outside of the tubing using an o-ring seat. Polyethylene tubing isn't very flexible so it has a rather wide bend radius. For the connections where I needed a tighter bend radius I made my own tube-to-stem adapters out of 1/2" OD plastic tube, and then clamped 7/16" ID 5/8" OD tubing to it. This provides flexibility, while still allowing easy coupling.
    [​IMG]
    Stock adapters can be purchased various places. Swiftech sells them as accessories to their older blocks and you can find them in the mcmaster catalog after a good deal of searching. (mcmaster part# 51055K69)
    3. Compression fittings are made for 1/2" ID tubing, but not at affordable prices or with male pipe sizes that could be used with water-cooling equipment. Unfortunately nobody makes 1/2" ID Compression fittings that have a 1/4" NPT, G1/4 (BSPP), or 1/4 NPSM male threaded end.
    I purchased the fittings used in this project from http://www.mcmaster.com/

Last edited: 17 Feb 2007
  5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Just wonderful, it all looks so made to fit.

How big is the case itself?

Also, after looking along that McMaster-Carr site I see they are horribly overpriced on the cost of aluminum, but otherwise a pretty great place for parts.. good site

6. Captain Slug

1. 15" x 15" x 7.8" (plus 1/2" in all directions due to the PVC plates I added)

2. Depends on what you're looking for. Shopping for aluminum can be difficult due to it's variety.
    Alloy 2024 Aluminum Sheet .250" Thick, 12" X 12""
    Online Metals: $84
    McMaster: $94
    Metal Xpress (local supplier): $80

But yeah, on most of their aluminum items they do have higher prices on average. However they always deliver exactly what I asked for with much tighter tolerances. Online Metals has sent me some crappy quality materials in the past in terms of finish and cut. Thankfully I don't do very much work with metal anyways so it's not big deal to me. When I do it's usually with copper.
    If I were to order larger quantities of metal I would go with a local supplier anyways. I'll get cheaper shipping and more competitive prices. I'm not a fan of Online Metals no matter what their prices are.

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

When you're on as tight a budget as me that $10 means a lot, lol.. my only local supplier is Home Depot so I guess in that respect McMaster is plain cheap..

Online Metals on the other hand, even for less quality I can pick them up from the wherehouse :D

8. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Looking very-good Capt. Please excuse if you have already posted an answer to this question, BUT.. the case skeleton, will it be painted/powder-coated black?
    I am very impressed with the speed at which your doing such "top-flight" work!
    Great-stuff..

9. Captain Slug

The frame will be powder-coated by Bonehead Performance
    I'm probably going with Satin black
    http://www.boneheadperformance.com/powdercoating/samples/applied/Satin black.jpg
    But I'm tempted to go with flat black.
    http://www.boneheadperformance.com/powdercoating/samples/applied/123_2366 flat black.JPG

Most of my older projects (before Mk.V and Mk.6) moved this fast. It certainly helps that I started with an absurdly detailed plan, and I've had way too much free time lately. Combine that with some annoying set-backs on other things while still having an itchy modding finger and you get this spasticly-fast log.
    Should be done within the next month (depending upon the speed of the powder-coating service).
    :dremel:

Last edited: 1 Feb 2007
  10. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Thanks for the link Capt..

11. Captain Slug

Well, upon looking at the pictures I took a second time I realized that the tube between the Tee and the pump inlet might get in the way of the rear fan so I went to check and indeed it did. so I had to do some tinkering to correct that and I think the end result is even cleaner then before. I'm getting kind of obsessive now...
    [​IMG]
    This picture is kind of a funny accident in terms of the framing it looks like Mk.6 is looming over Metal Slug's shoulder.
    [​IMG]
    That's enough for today. had to get in some vegging before I sleep.
    [​IMG]

12. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

you created a next-to perfect water loop. It looks amazing, and it should be practical as well. :thumb: :thumb:

13. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

thats i simply the cleanest water loop i have ever seen. excellent work man!

14. derbaum

derbaum What's a Dremel?

matches the look of the case perfectly

15. Captain Slug

Thanks to everyone for the all-too-generous compliments.

Left to do
    + Lathe acetal rods for case handles
    + Lathe fan controller knob
    + Ship case panels to Bonehead Performance for powder-coating
    + Order vinyl decals
    + Reassemble case
    + Make new I/O backplate
    + Make new Video card backplate
    + Make replacement Video card support bracket out of PVC
    + Re-pin some power-supply cables to shorten them
    + More obsessing
    + Get system up and running (haven't done anything except confirm that none of the parts are DOA)

Last edited: 1 Feb 2007
  16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Excellent work.

Watching SoulTaker? sweet...

I've got a request of you, if you're interested, will be PMing you later in the night. And, if anyone's gonna take the MotY from me, I would hope it would be you. Class work, all around, on every project.

17. Captain Slug

That's actually an episode of Bleach, the end credits of episode 113. And I'm open to proposals. Whether or not I can do it depends on the complexity of what you're asking.

18. marauder16

marauder16 What's a Dremel?

wow, are all the wires plugged in, cause I can't see many of them? looks awesome, but, don't you think those 90deg. barbs will disturb flow, I know the tube would bend otherwise, so that's the only clean way, well hope your temps will be good, keep up this great, and very very clean work, bravo :thumb:

19. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

You know, those 90s aren't as bad as people keep whining about. Think about what water goes through in a block.

20. marauder16

marauder16 What's a Dremel?

don't want to spam this thread with this, so this will be my final post about this issue.
    yeah, blocks are restrictive, for a reason, they cool components, 90 deg. barbs disturb flow in most cases just for better look , and maybe less tubing, but that's it, no added restriction is good...
    but no matter what this mod looks great :thumb: