1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-tech has lost its spirit

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by RotoSequence, 19 Mar 2006.

1. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I don't really follow modding as it's being made, as I don't have the coordination to do it myself, but I do like viewing the finished products and the steps to get there after someone finishes their mods. I suppose bit could use more modding, but it's also good that they've branched out to cover a wider spectrum of technology.

2. randosome

randosome Banned

[Warning: the following comment is long, may have numerous spelling and grammar mistakes, and may not agree with your point of view, if you feel you may be offended by any of the above it is best not to read it at all]

hmm how much to disclose ... hmm

Well to me, BT is a nice place to be, lots of friendly people, and a lot of people with the same views as me which is nice, people you can discuss the news about

I mean, i go onto slashdot and read the news, maybe some of the comments, but TBH i just cba to post, as 1/2 the posts get engulfed in flames, and the stupid nesting system just means your post ends up at the bottom or something, i could go talk to a wall and have more fun

So ok, BT isn't always up to speed on the news, but at least you can have a friendly little chat about it, maybe even a little unfriendly :p

And then of course we come to the true heart of bit-tech, the modding, but i think the trouble these days is, there are a handful of excellent mods, a selection of good mods, and then just plain rubbish stuff (not going to name anything, or even say that the majority of stuff is rubbish)

The nice thing about the old project log thing, was that you could go and read the log, you know, like 50 pages of work, but now its like 100 pages with 1/2 of it being utterly boring (meaning you just skim over it, missing out important parts on the way)
    But on the flip side, you might have got advice from someone, and their comment is integral to the mod
    And of course, the good mods have everyone watching it, when there is an update there are like 10 posts saying "superb" which is 10 posts you have to skim over :rolleyes:

Then of course you seem to get this bit-tech new following lap dog syndrome kind of thing
    what I'm trying to say here is that like, say Tim makes a comment in the new section, so many people just seem to blindly follow it, and they don't question it, they just run with it and kind of try and "fit in"
    Then after 5 pages of rubbish people with an actual opinion seem to start posting some interesting stuff (sometimes)

Also these days it seems that bit-tech is getting stuff more and more wrong, i mean the C&C3 review had a torrent of complaints and stuff for example
    But then some of the stuff they do is great (like the hard disc performance article)

Sometimes i do wonder though, last time i disagreed with an admin on bit tech it just seemed to lead to friction, and then eventually i got banned (i suspect the admins know who i am, if not I'm a little disappointed)(Although as i don't really see Ive done anything wrong i don't think i deserve to be banned again, however it wouldn't surprise me if it happened)
    And since then, firstly most of my respect for bit tech has gone, i mean I'm only really here because there are the good few mods on the forums, that i have been watching for like a year and would like to see how they finish, but also there are people here who you can talk to, and ofc, there's not much better to do on the Internet :p
    And secondly, it just seems like disagreeing with anyone from bit-tech will just lead to a ban, so its possibly best just not to say anything and let the admins continue doing their oppressionist thing

So in all, i think, sure bit tech has changed from what it used to be, and there is still good stuff in it, you just have search through more of the rubbish to get at the good stuff

Hopefully these comments don't get taken the wrong way, but of course people will always manage to get insulted by something

3. iggy

iggy Minimodder

i blame it all on the word 'premod'.

just the word. its bloody awful, sounds like spagbol.

4. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

Many people, specially modders grew to dislike more and more having the project and comments isolated in two different threads; it is very unnatural to talk in that way and it was not good.
    Nevertheless, there is a system to get what you want and what I defend at the same time; I've seen it only at [H]ardforum: in the thread tools there are options to:
    -see only images
    -see only author posts.

I don't know if it costs some money to have that options but those could be useful.

5. youneedsnewadmins

youneedsnewadmins Banned

well it looks like the admins took this the wrong way, as i suspected they might

Of course, due to the nature of the Internet, i can just register again and again, and you can never really stop it happening

Not that i can really be bothered, i thought id just get a message in before i get banned again

Its quite sad how oppressionist Bit-Tech is, if you don't think like bit-tech admins do, if you disagree with anything bit-tech has to say - instant ban

I suspect they will delete this post, seeing as, why would you want to leave something saying your not the greatest site in the world on your forums

to everyone else, i certainly hope you enjoy yourselves, and to the modders, i hope you continue the fantastic work
    To bit-tech, i think you need to find some new admins badly, very badly
    You would demand freedom of the press, but when someone else says something you disagree with, you just cover it up

Also i find it quite amusing that last time you banned my college IP address, meaning that no-one at college can look at the forums (well if they actually wanted to) but the ban on my IP did nothing (Most home users don't have static IP address)

Enjoy
    Youneednewadmins
    AKA - Randosome
    AKA - Yahooadam

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

You didn't get an explanation as to why you were banned this time around as none was required. You were banned long ago, this means forever, no new accounts.
    The reason behind your first ban wasnt what you said, it was the way you said it. Its pretty troubling that you can't see why you were banned in the first place. Look through all of your previous posts and ask yourself "is this the attitude and conduct of a well mannered and generally pleasant individual?"

We ban anyone that has a bad word to say about bit-tech??? This entire thread is bit-bashing to some extent, and the only one banned is you.

This is just another example of your attitude, which frankly sucks.
    If you really hate bit-tech all that much, why keep signing up?
    Bit-tech isn't changing admins, so maybe your should consider changing forums.

No member will ever be banned from bit-tech for simply disagreeing with the admins, or anyone else for that matter. If a member has a disagreement with anyone and it leads to flames or otherwise inappropriate conduct, the member will be warned. If this conduct continues, the member will be banned, simple as.

Last edited: 14 Mar 2007
  7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Im sorry? Did you leave your brain in bed or something?
    I think the admins on this forum do a brilliant job, keeping it clean, and a pleasent place to be, and without them it would end up like the local dump, maybe you should visit yours and have an indepth conversation with the local wildlife of the dump.

As for the mods, please please keep doing a good job :D

Sam

8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

hmmm, I must have missed the discussion Yahooadam got banned for. I don't think I've seen an unjustified ban so far.

9. registeringislame

registeringislame What's a Dremel?

Its a pretty sad day when that's someones policy, even the judicial system doesn't operate like that

Yeah i would say so, it depends how you take it i guess, i mean you cant really tell what i feel when i type can you, so you wouldn't really know what i really mean, you just see the cold text, and that can of course lead you to believe that something said is bad or whatever

Well technically you could have just banned and deleted the comments of what was said, and before i feel i was banned because i disagreed with bit tech on something
    Namely the fact you said "you cant run windows update with a pirated copy of windows" which is just blaitently not true, and still isn't true even to this day
    What you should have said was "you cant legally ...." or whatever, there is a big difference

I'm just pointing out how futile banning the IP is, which has been proved plenty of times, and its sad that through all the emails i ever sent bit tech i never got any response, you don't even have a procedure for disputing bans, its saddening tbh, i think it just shows that you think so highly of yourselves that you could never get something wrong

Maybe so, but lets say i disagree with an admin, that admin then might be looking for an excuse to ban, and something that's on the verge of being unacceptable might be taken as unacceptable just to do that ban

I cant say tbh, at least the forum is spam free, but i don't know how pleased members are with the service, or the attitude of the mods (because most people who would really know are the people on the end of a ban, and then their banned)

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=1328518&postcount=16

Thread:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=120690

You decide, someone agrees with my later on anyway (well that my post wasn't offensive)
    of course bit tech staff glossed over that comment so whatever

I still stand by what i said, id say it again, English is (at least in my mind) going to be the dominant language in the world, and people who don't speak it are most likely going to be left behind
    Of course the future could hold odd twists, and we definitely shouldn't force people to speak English, but i think its going to happen, and i welcome the idea that there will be no communication barriers in the world in the future when there is just 1 language

There i think Ive had my say, i quite frankly don't think i was justified being banned in the first place, and i think bit techs system for discussing bans is disgraceful

Also id like to point out, that i only came into this thread to possibly try and help out bit tech, it has a lot of nice members on the forums, its a nice place to be, its just a shame that some things completely spoil it

I look forward to your comments :)
    I guess you can never silence the little man

10. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Well looking at your banning offence i'd say i'd ban you for it. IMO racism should not be tolerated at all. We're all different, and race is but one of the differences between people. It would be boring if we all identical. And belive it or not, that comment looks rascist

As for the mods here, never had a problem with them, in all honesty on the odd occasion i've posted in the serious discussion forum, at some point I think I may have disagreed with a mod, but then, everyone must have at some point...

Either way, i'm still here

And for the record, the little man can be silenced, but I don't belive the methods are appropriate to this conversation, so I just won't go there.

11. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Your post was completely offensive to any non-English speakers, and many English speakers who are appalled that such a moron could survive in real life for more than a day without arguing with a spoon then dying in the ensuing brawl (sounds hard I know, but I reckon you could pull it off).

It's been said time and time again (I don't want to sound like I'm backseat modding here, but here goes) that you were banned for being offensive and apparently trying to express your opinions in the most offensive way possible.

Your replies to this thread are just convincing more people (or the same people more strongly) that you need to grow up and learn to respect the fact that other people are quite often more knowledgeable than you are. True, you can't silence the little man, but you can lose all respect for him and think he should learn how to interact properly with other people (without insulting them directly).

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

That's entirely untrue, I have been in disagreement with some of the admin in several threads, not once have I been banned.
    The posts I have made have remained unedited for all to see.

13. registeringislame

Well it was never meant as a racist comment, if you really want a breakdown

No explanation needed ..

With the invention of the Internet, most things have become English based, most programming languages are English based
    Just so much stuff is English, sure there is a reasonable chunk of the Internet that is still in foreign languages (well foreign to me) but English easily outsizes that

And most people that Ive seen have all been at least capable of speaking English, although of course thatll be reasonably biased as where i have been has either been England, America or an English touristy area of another country

Wikipedia is a fantastic example of this, 1.67m articles in English, the second highest is dutch with .55m articles - somewhere around 1/3 of the English version

As bit tech likes to show when they post their opinions along with news articles .....

I was probably angry at something britain had declared that day which brings us ever closer to being a Nazi state, of course that day grows closer yet
    I assume that this is where people are having a problem, thinking im calling people neo-Nazi's or something

14. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Just as another passing thought...all the comments you've made about posts being edited and all, you've gone and disproved all of it.

Why I hear you ask?

Well just looking at the "posts" you've made in this thread, flaming BT, not a single one has been edited.

In fact, looking at the post you were banned for (deservedly so), that's not been edited either

You sir, are pulling every justification of your argument from your rear end, and as of yet, I don't see any of them justified. And I don't expect I will either...

15. registeringislame

funny that, because if i search this page for the word "edit" the only results are not in any of my posts (well except this one now)

16. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

It's not the small proud British community site it once was :( However, everything has to change and tech websites either die off or they morph into corporate entities to pay the bills and the editors. This inevitably leads to a loss of community and grumbles from the old guard that it just isn't the same.

JADS grumbles ;)

17. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

The guy was obviously trying and you can't fault him for not speaking it fluently. If a forum member isn't a native English speaker then show them a bit of respect for taking time out of their day to learn your language. It's just common courtesy. Your English isn't even that good so I'm not sure why you're standing on your soapbox.

This type of stuff is why I don't visit the forums anymore.

18. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Man, some people just don't get it. Life is a game, actually a bundled sequence of games. In the game of forum communication, one abides by certain rules - some written, some unwritten.

I took get frustrated with non-english speakers. But, in many cases, these individuals make an effort to communicate as best as they can. Their efforts should be acknowledged and commended, not ridiculed and criticized. Folks who don't make an effort to learn the basics of the language piss me off, but for unrelated and justified reasons (one of my peers writes scientific papers so poorly that we spend more time trying to read it than understanding the point they're trying to get across).

For the people that do not speak english as a 1st language, I am still (for the most part) appreciative of their efforts. The fact that they choose to participate in the community despite the language barrier is a good thing. They choose to share their mods with us, and their opinions, and it is welcome.

Damn man, you keep bringing the bannings onto yourself. You could, you know, be civil. Coming onto a forum to criticize the admins = childish. I disagree with several of the moderators, and I do so openly. Have I been banned? Nope. Actually, I don't even think that I've ever been warned. On any number of other forums, you'd have been banned arlready. This isn't a democracy, you don't like the rules, then bite your tongue or get lost. It's as simple as that. I have a fairly aggressive temper, yet you don't see me going on insulting and offensive rants (at least not often). Grow up and gain some tolerance.

Edit:

You're registering Islam? Sorry, but that word is already registered and copyrighted. No credit for you!