1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-tech has lost its spirit

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by RotoSequence, 19 Mar 2006.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think pushing some forum content to the front page is a good idea: perhaps a list of the most recent (or most frequently visited) threads/topics, some quotes (there are some really funny bizarre ones), links to FAQs...

How about a sig competition? Rules are to have the most original, funny or informative sig, but it has to be no more than three lines. Haiku sigs! :D

Anyway, as Bindibadgi says: Don't worry about the Bit-tech community: you are the Bit-Tech community. :)

2. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

Wow, you really did mean get a cup of tea, that was a good read. but i have one comment regarding the noob forum

would it be possible (and would stop them posting in other froums) that they could read other forums but not post utill they have read the rules to that forum, or the FAQ, this should help in worngly posted posts, or questions that have already been answered.

another forum i frequent (mythbusters) they are really hard on anyone including Noobs and oldies, if your profile isnt filled uot you are banned untill it is, all posts are closed no matter what it is about if there is not enough information in the post or if a moderator decides that its not in the right forum or if it has been asked before, i dont like it and wouldnt like Bit-Tech to get like that but its just showing how bad some other forums can be.

im looking forward to the competitions.

on a diffretnet note, would it be possible to have aall staff identified in their avatar bar thingy, over the fre moths ive been here ive found out (mostly by accident, worng posts etc) who are Moderators, Admin, Bit0Tech Staff and now CT (i know you said they they will be identified) as it would help, when reporting posts etc

the other thing that annoys me is threads titled just "help" or "a Question" etc, this gives no idea if i can help (normally not but one day i will be able to) and i feel that the people who can really help will over look these threads, i sometimes have a look to see if i can help but if people put the thread title like, problems installing windows XP, or Maxtor SATA HDD will not boot they may get a better responce, also it would help noobies to find these threads and get answer to the threads that they may start asking the same question again.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2006
  3. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

Excellent. :)

4. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

5. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I was reading this and was hoping that the wiki could make its return.
    I'd be very happy to help out with the wiki if I can.
    (of course, the great thing about a wiki is that anyone can and should help!)

edit: PS - I think the Mod of the Month is a good idea, but shouldn't be too rigorously applied - if none is good enough then there should be none, likewise if there is more than one then so be it.

6. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Let's get this thing going :thumb:

Im taking applications for the task force :)

7. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Music to my ears :D

8. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Very happy that you have taken all the suggestions and stuff on board. It shows how great the site is, when you are willing to admit mistakes and change for the better :)
    There have been a couple of news posts about stuff going on in the forums iirc, with popular threads etc listed. This would be great if it was done monthly or even weekly.
    Something that doesn't have to even be on the front page, and could be linked in with the above, is something like a Mod of The Month, or something like that. The person who has the best log, or even just some really good ideas could get a little prize (something like case badges) and be mentioned in the News section, and possibly get some forum award for a month eg Coloured Title. Just a little incentive to write good logs :p
    This doesn't even have to be on the front page, as said before. It could just be a regular News post, therefore not requiring as much work as a whole front page thing.
    Just a couple of ideas.

9. dutchcedar

dutchcedar What's a Dremel?

If y'all would drop the word archive and open that forum to new worklogs, I'd gladly post a log you'll have fun reading... :hip:

And kudos to your decisions, they sound real kool... :rock:

10. quack

quack Minimodder

This is why I've been a member of bit's forums since March 2002.

11. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

(Originally sent as part of a PM, but I thought it was appropriate to post the following here.)

Instead of the wiki just being a "modding" wiki, how about also having it be a general hardware wiki? It could have informative articles about various pieces of hardware including pictures, issues, links to latest drivers, and a review. This is something I've thought about starting on my own but I think it would be a great addition to Bit-tech.

While we are at it - is an account going to be required to modify the wiki? I would suggest that it be set up that way.

12. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Pure brilliance Wil, I look forward to the changes and willing to help :)

13. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Thats what I was thinking, it would keep all the "will my 400w power this 350w device, is it too much dur?" questions away. A seperate login should be required with rules to be followed.

I just think that people saying "Im on the force" would be a little funny.

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before, but how about bringing the case gallery back? If it's a log that's been done on the site, there'd be direct links, with the finished mod being shown as a piccy or two in the case gallery.

15. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

I was thinking it should match the Bit-tech login. We could import all bit-tech users into the user table along with their email addresses and set the wiki up to email them their new password when they try to log in.
    That would work for everyone who has a valid email address on their bit-tech account. For anyone that didn't have a valid email address, we could set up a thread in the forums for wiki account maint. and help or use PMs to manage it.

For new bit-tech accounts, perhaps something could be scripted to add the account to the wiki when they create the bit-tech account or some batch job could run once a day adding any account that had been created that day.

The following is from a wikimedia faq:

16. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Good post Wil.
    You guys have listened, and I can't say that i'm not impressed with your response.

I look forward to seeing the changes. :)

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Thank God that the leaders listen to the members (ah, if only the government ran that way, but let's not go there).

As for Wiki registration... I agree with DTE. Not only that, but I think there's something along those lines already available. That or I'm crossing my prepackaged codebases again, I've been screwing around a lot with cart software and tend to lose track of registrations between several of those, a wiki and a phpbb forum. Maybe it was ZenCart and phpBB. Anyways, the concept is definately doable and would be great, however I feel that those who want to really contribute to a wiki will take the time to register. I made several new pages on the iPodWizard one compiling someone's post about ipod icons, and took the time to register to do so.

kenko's got a good idea too regarding a case/mod gallery, but I think you could safely just post those in modding for the moment and be okay with it.

noob forum, combined with a wiki - best idea ever. Naming it as such might not be the best idea as nobody likes to admit to being a noob, perhaps 'Hardware Basics' (etc) or something.

18. Endoxus

Endoxus What's a Dremel?

Yeh....um...sorry about that one. then again, when i have seen nothing from macro for a long time i didn't think that it was unresonable to assume that:

1. he had got sick of it and given up
    2. life had got in the way
    3. he wasn't working on anyting

Whan we dont see any results for long periods of time, then you can understand why i assumed he wasn't working on anything. he also has never mentioned that he is working on anything new, another reason i assumed that he had no project running.

Sorry.

Maybe all the staff modders could post a 4-6 monthly update on what they are doing/working on etc. not entire project logs, but just an article/post on their current projects. when a staff member posts nothing for a long time, or doesn't even mention a project it seems like they are out of the system. we all know about WDM because there was an intro to it a few months ago, no one has any idea about macro's work becaue nothing has ever been posted.

i thank Will for responding to this thread, a lot of time has obvioulsy gone into this, im gald to see that all the staff are commited to making bit-tech the best place possiable. thanks guys. everyone does appreciate your work.

overall, im sorry for making a stupid suggestion, however i was totally unaware that macro was working on anything. maybe a teaser could have enlightened me.

love the site and very much looking forward to surfing the new and improved bit-tech.

19. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

What can I say..Bit-tech is the place to be.. :thumb:

20. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Perhaps a Link on the front page to Wil's post or an article itself would be nice detailing the changes for those that tend not to frequent the feedback forum. I mean it is major news.