1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Don't like the taste of Alcohol anymore...

Discussion in 'General' started by Major, 30 Dec 2007.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I have this vague memory of reading about certain viruses that can affect the parts of the brain which interpret taste, but it doesn't seem that likely that a cold would mess up your brain. Goto the doctor tbh, probably not anything serious but it's best to be sure.

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I used to love the taste of rum, it was like candy to me. I would mix it half and half, and that was with 80% rum. then it started to taste bad, and i had to switch to girly stuff like vanilla flavored rum. now i cant even drink that.
    vodka just makes me sick, as does whiskey. Beer seams to just make me fall asleep.
    In short, i dont bother drinking anymore.

3. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Your tounge only "tastes" salt, sweet, bitter and sour. Everything else is handled by the nose, as the chemicals are volatile oils. If you were really sick you might have scarring in your nasal passages. Has your taste for anything else changed, for the worse or the better?

4. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

I used to drink a full bottle of Whiskey on a night out and that turned into a full case of Beer (10 litres) on weekdays, every day for 1½ years. Woke up one morning finding myself reaching out for a beer as the first act of the day. and it hit me that i was an alcoholic. Stopped drinking from that morning, but can still enjoy a beer once in a blue moon.

5. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

There are many alcohol types where I don't like the taste, but drink for the hell of it. However one thing I will say is that you can't beat the taste of a pint of ale. None of this imported lager crap, but real beer, how it should be made. :thumb:

6. Major

Major Guest

The only thing which is different in the past few months are the taste of some nuts + seeds I used to eat a lot, can't stand Pumpkin seeds anymore, but I used to eat them by the ton, heh.

7. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Meh, it comes and goes. Sometimes I crave for a pint, other times I'm not. Just ride the wave out.

8. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

After spending a day walking around Dublin, an ice-cold pint of cider was just perfect. Or if I've been out mountain biking, it's always nice. If I'm drinking on an evening in I go for jack and coke or cider over masses of ice. I don't like the taste of beer or wine but cider appeals.

Also apple sours, I discovered. Which maybe isn't a good thing.

9. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

Do you smoke? I used to have this thing where all of a sudden alcohol just tasted rank, it wrote my whole night off and there was nothing I could do about it, literally you'd have a few mouthfuls then somethng happened and it tasted foul.

Only happened occasionally but sounds like exactly the same thing

10. Major

Major Guest

Nah I don't smoke Daniel. :)

It's weird, I have a whole box of Magners downstairs doing nothing as I'm the only one who drinks it! :D

11. RTT

RTT #parp

I love alcohol but I think my stomach is overly sensitive to it or something. If anything more than just a moderate amount is in me it'll more than likely make a re-appearance...

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It's a tangent, but I had the exact same thing with smoking for a period. When I was younger I could smoke (but didn't like it), then from 16-18 I couldn't smoke at all - the smell made me feel ill, and if I tried anything containing any tobacco, I'd throw up instantly.
    Curiously, I can now smoke fine (but still don't really enjoy it).

My guess is that, like a sweet tooth, your body's intolerances fluxtuate (sp?) with age. Or maybe you've OD'd, in the long-term sense, in which case you'll have to wait a good year or two, I expect.

13. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Hmm, i've had a similar thing. Use to be able to drink pretty much anything quite happily, and then went through a period of not being able to drink at all. One drink would give me a massive headache and make me feel ill instantly. I quit for a few months, and have recently started drinking again. Leave it a while, and then in a few months or so try a couple of different drinks. I've found i've ended up with a different taste than i used ot have

RwD

14. ỒĊBłůē

ỒĊBłůē Also available in black

I guess you've inadvertently given up alcohol then.

Think of the money you'll save, the hangovers you'll avoid and the nights you'll spend as 'designated driver'.

Tonight (New Years') will be a very sober experience for you :(

15. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Many interesting comments in an interesting thread.

The last (& first time) I was drunk I was 16. I had a blast trying to do cartwheels most of the night - I don't remember why. I woke up feeling fine the next day, had toast & bacon for breakfast, and proved to myself that I actually can do a cartwheel. My dad used to drink too much (I never saw him act hungover either) so I tried it and decided that I can have just as much fun sober. For some people alcohol is an excuse to act in ways they wouldn't dare when sober. If that's what it is then maybe you need to sort out why.

However, it sounds like part of it is that you just liked the taste (personally I'm not a fan of beer or wine but I do occasionally have a shot of amaretto in hot chocolate or Kahlua in a glass of milk). It wouldn't hurt to mention this change to your doctor but if you can live without the alcohol I'd say just find other things to enjoy. :thumb:

16. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

you had a better first experince than i did....
    woke up the next day feeling fine... i bet that was nice.

17. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

My grandmother went through something like that after having pneumonia, she couldn't stand the taste of chocolate or other fatty foods for about six months. Of course, she's in her eighties, and it was a little more serious than a head cold...

I also hear it's normal for pregnant women to randomly despise some foods for a while (and crave others, of course), but I'm guessing that's probably not the case here. :worried:

18. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I'm guessing it runs in my family (which I added with my ninja edit skills :p).

:hehe: :lol:

:worried:

19. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

You got that right. I've noticed quite a few people talk about drinking or smoking while they hate the taste of the thing being drunk or smoked. Maybe I'm just weird, but I generally don't ingest something if I don't like the taste. What's the point otherwise?

-monkey

20. Jake4d1

Jake4d1 lol wut iz dremul?

I have a similar situation to the OP here. About 2-3 months ago I got completely trashed... horribly drunk. It's not exactly my proudest acheivement mind you. But ever since then I want to puke if I smell Tequila or Vodka.

I assume it'm my body remembering the hangover and saying "screw you, you are NOT drinking that".

Tags: