1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Good job GOO! Congratulations :)

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Yay for you! :clap:

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'm so impressed by this build! Hope one day I'll have the resources, know-how and... well... drivers license to do something like this.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nice one GOO, roll on Friday eh? What did the MOT tester have to say apart from "Ooh" and "Aaah" ? :D

5. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

congrats dude.

6. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Yep - "Vehicle presented without windscreen, wipers or washers fitted" :lol:

They all came over to have a good nose, but the main tester was suitably impressed. I quote:

"Its very clean and tidy - you should see some of the sheds we have to look at..." :D

7. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Are you going to put a windscreen etc on or are you just going to go for a smaller aero screen? Or not bother? :)

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

grats, GOO... now the MOT. Luck won't be needed there, I'm sure.

9. GreatOldOne

I shall have a full windscreen post IVA. I'm not fitting it now, as if I did I'd have to have demisters, wipers and washers as well. By not having them at IVA, I save a load of work, and don't have to fit unneccessary bits (Demisters in an open top car? May as well have tits on a bull... :))

Thanks - but I've got the MOT, it's the IVA test I have to worry about now... ;)

10. xrain

xrain Minimodder

I'm rather curious, I'm guessing the IVA and MOT are some sort of regulatory test... But what do they consist of exactly?

To get a kit car registered over here, you just have to have all your receipts and any titles from donor cars you used, then fill out a one and a half page application, and get it inspected by a law officer...

The only requirements is the vehicle not be made from stolen parts, and it have headlights, tail lights, blinkers, seat-belts, a place for a license plate, and be structurally sound, I think you might also need a few mirrors, but I'm not sure on that one, oh it also cant pose a hazard to other drivers, meaning those spikes on the front that you thought looked cool might not pass the inspection. :)

11. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

The MOT is an anual test that applies to all cars over 3 years old. They look for corrosion near important parts of the chassis, check lights, breaks, suspension etc.. over to make sure the car is roadworthy.

The IVA test is for kitcars and so on and is to test the design/build is safe&sensible, largely.

12. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

LOL. me-fail. :wallbash:
    I'm sure you'll ace that!

13. Xir

Xir Modder

And we have a low opinion about american cars...wonder how that happened? :D

Regulation in Europe are a little bit stricter...and the british regulations sure aren't the tightest ones around. ;)

I live in a country were a drivers licence takes half a year of studies and about 2500 dollars, and you tell me this? :waah:

14. GreatOldOne

They've cetainly got stricter. The IVA (Individual Vehical Approval) replaced the SVA (Single Vehical Approval) due to Euro meddling. It's caused me issues, as the kit I bought was SVA compliant. Thanks to Brussles, I've had a load more work to do to ensure it meets the IVA standard.

15. Zoon

The december issue of Kit Car Magazine has a very comprehensive review of the SVA and the differences within it. There are some changes for the better as well as for the worse in it from what I can see.

If you do get any troubles with the SVA, it might be worth picking up a back order of the mag, there's some pretty good advice in it.

16. GreatOldOne

I think your getting your tests mixed up - IVA is the new test, SVA was the old test. The vast majority is the same between the two, but there are some very important differences when it comes to building a sportster - Just look at what I've had to do with the rear wings...

17. PapaBearNZ

PapaBearNZ What's a Dremel?

Over here it's at least 1 year to get a full license (3 stages - learner, restricted then full with tests and practicals in between - 2 years all up but if you go through a registered driving school or take a defensive driving course it's reduced to 1 year - assuming you pass all tests first time through)

Also we have to have a "Warrant of Fitness" or WOF done every 6 months unless the car is less than 5 years old. This checks road-worthiness and gives many mechanics a license to print money :)

:eyebrow:

18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Speak for yourself! ;)

@GOO

Pics or it didn't happen re: IVA ;)

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Wow that is strict...here it's either every two years (Germany) or every year (Netherlands)

I do...but ask around, as long as it rolls, you're allowed to drive it. (depending on the state I guess).
    Same with drivers licences (again depending on the state) if the local sheriff likes you, off you go!

20. Zoon

Haha yeah I am getting them backwards aren't I? I'm a plank at times.

No wonder my other half refuses to get into a car I've built myself...