1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: OSIDIAS - Carbon fiber and 3D printed SFF (Jan. 2, 2020)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 2 Jun 2010.

1. GuyInTulsa

GuyInTulsa Dremel Molester

Damn fine work Craig.

I really enjoy the extra insanity you bring to your builds :thumb:

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Its not so much about depth of cut but de-lamination of the part, any voids in resin and the part will be forced apart quicker than you can say 'oh sh*t'!

Properly cured composites could be cut on a waterjet, if they have been cured in an autoclave and even then most machinist would rather machine it than get it wet.

Carbon fibre or any composite is a nightmare to alter after it is moulded, even drilling is considered a no no due to hoop stresses building up. So with careful design the inclusion of studs, bosses and clearance holes is best done in the lay up stage.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I doubt that would work. The blade will stop dead if it hits something impact resistant like polycarb or nylon.

-Metal saw/grinder blade? -Forget I said that. I think they would explode in a 10,000RPM table saw.

4. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I've cut kevlar many times with just an angle grinder - then same tool to clean the edge - followed by filing and sanding.

Anything will work, it's just a measure of effort.

5. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

They do have a slightly different feel, but it's mostly noticeable after the resin is applied, and then only when working with it.

I'm sure a table saw would make a hell of a mess...

Yeah, I know the lighting sucks. I'll do that for the next panel. (Yes, the do suck, lol)

Maybe I can get one sponsored? I don't think I'd want to make that kind of investment on my own. :D

That ultrasonic cutter us pretty cool. I wonder what the investment on that would be? I'm pretty certain I wouldn't get enough use out of it to justify the cost.

Thanks! The kevlar blend, and the regular CF compliment each other very well.

I've got one I could try, although I'm not sure it would be as accurate as I'd like. Plus I don't want water in the weave edges.

Thanks Jesse! So you can vouch for using a waterjet?

I've got a few places I can send off and get price quotes. It's worth a shot, but I'm hoping to do all the work myself.

Lol, thanks.

Thanks man!

Since there is so much debate about whether a waterjet will work or not, I'm going to try cutting it myself first. As it stands, it looks like I need to order a little more fabric anyway. If I can't do it, then a waterjet will be the next step. That means I'm prepared to make a 3rd panel for testing. It's only my time and a little extra money involved. In the grand scheme of things, it will be worth it in the end.

It wouldn't be pretty at that RPM.

Right on man. It's all effort. If you are willing to put in the time, you can make it happen. (Just like Cheaps and his sanding... :D )

Waynio likes this.
  6. MrNitro

MrNitro Performance Enthusiast =)

Man, that's awesome...I just *love* CF, but my budget allow me to have only vinyls and a mouse(Genius Navigator 335).
    I'll be watching as you advance on this =)

7. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

That ultresonic cutter make me jealous when I think I cut's this easier that I would cut paper with scissor.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Weight of a banana, crazy, amazing, bullet resistant whhaaat lol :D, wow m8 my mind just fried lol :D, last time I tuned in this was carbon fibre :D which was already freaking awesome, it's official I highly doubt I'll ever go to the lengths some people are going to now to do a jaw dropping case, concrete pc's, bullet proof pc's OMG, what next in modding lol :D :thumb::clap:.

You broke my awesometre :D.

Last edited: 27 Jun 2010
  9. The_Jonas

The_Jonas \m/

Insanely awesome, subbed.

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That Kevlar weave looks amazing Craig, really is a one of a kind project. I can't wait for more. You sir get rep and stars :D.

11. craigbru

Thanks man! I was initially put off by the price of CF too. Then I priced out the case in aluminum and realized that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. In the grand scheme of things, it's actually one of the lesser expenses. I've got a box of Bitspower fittings for this case that cost a fair amount more. I guess it's all relative, and the price of CF has dropped lately. It might be worth checking prices again.

It does make it look so easy, doesn't it?

Lol. Well, Langer was talking about a titanium case. I think that's a fair bit beyond CF. :D

Thanks mate!

Thanks! I can't wait to show you guys pics of the kevlar and regular CF side by side. They compliment each other insanely well. :thumb:

Mechh69 likes this.
  12. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Well?????
    [​IMG]

We're waiting.......
    :D

13. craigbru

Lol, you may have to wait a day or two. I've got to take care of a few non-modding things around the house.

14. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

90% of the material coming out of the factories is waterjet cut. In fact the CNC router that you may have seen me use in my Prometheus build-log was retired from use -long ago- in place of a couple WaterJet machines (unfortunately for me the water cutters run nearly 24/7, leaving very little opportunity to play. Which is why I had to spend 2-months repairing the old CNC router when I had to cut the carbon/copper).

From shoe-insoles, to skateboards; medical widgets to armor paneling... water is most ideal for just about any composite (thermoform, thermoset, laminate, or whatever): it doesn't need new cutting tools all the time like CNC, and it doesn't burn the **** out of the resin like Lasers.

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

How do you get around the water absorption problem?

16. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Cut faster! :thumb:

17. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

dont let it sit in the water
    cut the pull and dry ASAP

18. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@Burnout21 - It's never presented itself as an issue - carbon/glass/kevlar/teflon/PEEK/aramid/metal fibers don't 'wick', all these elements are very strong because they are solid. Unlike a tree root or a straw - carbon fibers are solid little hairs of RAW carbon made by charring and pulling the f*ck out of a block of acrylic.

When the panels are molded the use of a press or vacuum is designed to get most of the air out - any absorption properties that may have presented themselves when in a RAW fabric state should vanish once incased in resin. If you've heard of delaminating, fraying, or water absorption in the past then they were doing it very wrong - the water pressures in a water cutter are so great that the panels don't even get very wet TBH.

I think I have a roving of carbon fiber around here somewhere I can do a little test for you today:
    Cut a length of carbon fiber
    Place one end in a cup of water
    Support the other end above the cup
    Observe and note any absorption (I expect none)

[edit]I looked around, I was wrong I don't have any raw fiber or fabric on my apartment at the moment. I do have a box of off-cuts though, so I grabbed one of the cut-offs from PrometheusCU (I made the panels for that project myself, so I expect their quality to be significantly lower than any production grade panel I would have on hand), and I put it in a glass of water:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    (Man, I love the Google NexusOne camera!)

I'll leave it to sit there for a few days and let you know what comes of it. ;)

Sorry to derail your thread Craig.[/edit]

*j

Last edited: 29 Jun 2010
  19. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Fantastic work.. I like those red fibres alot.

Since you say this is the first time you work with carbon fibre I feel I have to give you and everyone else a litle varning. Maybe you already know it but I think its worth mention again. CF can be really dangerous If you don't use gloves, glasses and real breathing protection when handeling it. The key is to never get any of the material in you body like splinters or dust in your lungs. Not using gloves and getting splinters is BAD. Why?? Since carbon is a part of the human body, it doesn't get encased and rejected like glass or metall does. The carbon fibre splinters will keep traveling in the body and maybe end up in the blod and get stuck on really bad places, like the brain even if it entered the finger. So never touch a broken piece of CF with your bare hands.

Keep it safe and keep on working on this masterpiece.

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

little tip i got off a fibre glass worker was talcum powder, coat your hands and arms in it. Blocks the skin and stops that itchy feeling when the dust and particles get on your skin.