1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Acronym

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Achron, 28 Nov 2009.

?

Which faceplate design do you like? (Faceplates on page 6)

1. Don't change anything!

29 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Faceplate 1

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. Faceplate 2

53 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Faceplate 3

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Faceplate 4

51 vote(s)
    26.3%
  6. Faceplate 5

14 vote(s)
    7.2%
  7. Faceplate 6

29 vote(s)
    14.9%
  8. Faceplate 7

27 vote(s)
    13.9%
  9. Some other design!

14 vote(s)
    7.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Looks absolutely stunning my friend, nice work :thumb:.

2. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Whoo 500 posts!

Pics later!

3. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Ello ello. I finally got the pieces back from the anodizer. As I've said before, I haven't had too much
    experience in dealing with them yet, so my knowledge is a bit limited. To me, it seems as if they didn't
    do an outstanding job. I'm going to get a second set of those two little blocks anodized by a friend at
    some point for comparison, just to be sure. They will get thrown in with a batch for a company so it's up
    in the air as to when they will be finished.

I'll edit the pictures to give a side by side comparison between un-anodized and anodized here in a
    few days. There's going to be a lack of updates for a while (shocker) since I'm heading back home for
    a week for vacation (Pennsylvania), and the week after that I have to move since my lease is up.

Here's the pictures of the anodized pieces, in the same order as before. Don't mind any minor scratches
    or markings since those were of my own doing after the fact.

Regular Sanded

[​IMG]

Alumina / Glass Bead Mix

[​IMG]

Alumina

[​IMG]

100% Glass Beads

[​IMG]

Garnet

[​IMG]

Steel Wool Polished

[​IMG]

Alumina / Glass Beads Mix (Top) & 100% Glass Beads (Bottom)

[​IMG]

Alumina / Glass Beads Mix (Top) & 100% Glass Beads (Bottom)

[​IMG]

Here's some shots of the block next to the case. Hopefully your imagination can carry the surface
    finish and the color over to the case itself.

Alumina

[​IMG]

Garnet

[​IMG]

Sanded (As-Is)

[​IMG]

100% Glass Beads

[​IMG]

Apologies for the dark-ish photos. I didn't have much time to post-process these. I'll replace them
    when I get home tonight.

What do you guys think?

4. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Sanded for me :thumb:

5. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

I would have to agree, sanded looks best. I like the 'brushed' look over the satin/matte finish.

6. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Sanded for sure.

7. -Jv-

-Jv- What's a Dremel?

Regular sanded for sure !

8. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Saaanded.

Looks like the anodizer scratched lots of those pieces? Hopefully that won't happen to the case itself...

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I've always liked the brush look that you already have, which looks like it took you a fair bit of time to get such a nice look so another vote for sanded :).

10. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

I personally dont what all of you are on about, I think glass bead is much better than sanded.

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

The thing that I'm unsure personally about the anodised black glass bead finish it kinda makes it look like plastic with it being so perfect looking & the lines from the sanded finish just adds a nice subtle overall detail but whatever finish you go for it'll look so awesome anyway :D.

If you've got someone you know who will treat it with good care for the anodising I'd go with that if I was you mate, well as long as they know what they are doing anyway :D. But then again it could be with them just being small cubes so were more tricky to do without marking, I've read black is the most difficult to do nicely & the black on the cubes looks sweet from the photos.

12. NavidsonRecord

NavidsonRecord Where the bloody hell are ya'?

blasted... sand, glass, alu. they all look pretty good. What ever is easier.

13. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

The glass bead gets my vote. 'Brushed' and anodized aluminium is overdone these days; I prefer the matte effect personally.

14. Attila

Attila still thinking....

A brushed finish just wouldn't work with Acronym, it either needs to be polished or finished with one of the more uniform treatments. The glass looks good. The finer the better imo.

15. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Good point Attila!
    If you are willing to do that, polishing to a mirror will look sick.

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Polished plastic w/ glass bead aluminum would look good. -Polishing both lowers the contrast.

17. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

So that's apparently:

• Sanded: 6
    • Glass Beads: 3

Why do you say that the brushed finish won't work? The only downside I see to it is that I don't know which way I would do the grain. Obviously I think it would look better how it is now (horizontally), but then on the side pieces around the back where the parts are spherical, keeping with the horizontal grain would actually turn vertical (see below).

[​IMG]

I agree with you. To be honest I've never really been a fan of the polished stuff, especially large amounts of it. I think that it should be used sparingly as accents, if at all. Polishing the entire case would probably blind me if I'm trying to watch a movie :D.

Honestly, my original thought was to sand the outside (like it is now) and then blast the interior. The interior is a b**** to sand, and I don't think I could ever get it to the point where I would be completely happy with it; hence the blasting.

:idea::idea::idea:

18. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Brushed finish can look good on flat surfaces and it can also look quite good on curved surfaces. The key to a nice brushed finish is dead straight 'grain'. In this instance, you will be 'brushing' compound curves. Aside from the fact that it will be very difficult to get the grain dead straight (unless you have some automated way of doing this), imo you need to go deeper into what the shapes you've made tell the onlooker. Those curves are smooth and sensuous, brushing is hard, rough, I really dont see how you dont see that. But it's your baby, go ahead, I'll be interested in the result.

19. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

HMM I like both the sanded and the glass beads. Its a real hard choice as you have to visulize the entire case done in the method that you finally choose.

Its going to look amazing no matter which way you go :D so maybe go for the method that you are happy with and is the most effective for you in time and money. I doubt you will get many people actually caomplaining about the end result

20. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Sneak Peek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]