1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Warp Core - offline indefinitely...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Combatus, 5 Dec 2009.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Thankfully it was fairly easy to make precise measurements between the PSU and the mid section (as well as praying Phobya had listed the correct width of the rad!) but I did have a backup plan to mount the PSU somewhere else. It was literally down to the millimetre though - if that indented Phobya logo was bulbous, things would be very different!

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

So we're talking *** papers then...lol thats tight:D

3. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Looking great Combatus :D

I have to concur with the assessment of the Phobya rads, great quality bits of kit :thumb:

I'm using 2 of the G-Changer 120's in my current build for the wide fin spacing also :)

4. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

I think that radiator is bigger than the one in my car!! Fingers crossed for some terrible weather next weekend and we might see some updates on the UK based mods at last!

5. Combatus

Long time no see! So, I'm still mulling over some ideas for the mid-section shenanigans - hopefully I'm nearly there although as this is my main PC, finding the time to pull the cooling loop apart and fit it all will be tricky. Anyway! Other developments - I've also been thinking about a neat storage enclosure. I have two SSDs and the plan is to turn them into Isolinear chips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the casing would make them too wide, I've removed it and will be adding a translucent acrylic surround. I'll then make a a rack of slots using more acrylic, probably purple and light the hole thing with LED strips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More soon hopefully! :D

jezmck likes this.
  6. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Nice idea!
    What's the "W.K.D"? Your favourite tipple maybe? :D

7. Combatus

Wondered what on earth you meant! LOL! That green chip is a googled image. Hopefully mine wont look too dissimilar!

8. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Wow thats a really cool idea bro and it will look really nice too! Cant wait to see it finished! :)

9. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Yay progress :D.

10. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Great to see you back on the move again Antony, liking that concept :thumb:

As a note I agree when the rig in question is your main rig its a PITA having to take it off line for any period of time, I resorted to the purchase of a laptop (Don't condemn me to be burnt at the stake for my blasphemy :worried:) to cover the interim period.

11. Combatus

I'd been thinking the exact same thing - something to use in the meantime. As I'm mainly playing World of Tanks at the moment, it doesn't need to be a massively powerful rig. Might see if I can dig up some Core 2 spares and put something together to allow me to crack on!

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Do so :) I found it's quite important to keep a good or ok rig on the go while doing a project, lets you concentrate better on getting things finalised sooner, it would drive me crazy any other way now :D nice to see the project is still on though Antony :).

13. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

14. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

We gonna see more soon? I like what you have done so far.

15. Combatus

Definitely! I'm in the process of building a spare PC that I can use while I work on Warp Core - as the latter is my main PC, it's very difficult modding it and using it at the same time which is why it's taking so long :D

16. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

Since you asked for opinions - I'd say, "don't paint the brushed aluminum". If you want to change the color I would get it anodized but ultimately I would leave it alone as it looks really nice with the other changes you have made.

17. Combatus

The project has sadly hit a rather large stumbling block (read brick wall) in that the motherboard has just died :sigh: As LGA1366 is pretty old now and I'm already getting parts and an ITX Z68 system together for a new project, I can't really justify buying a new board. I was loosing enthusiasm every day too (hence lack of updates) as I had no intention of using the system long term as it's too big for my requirements. I'll be back, but with something smaller but hopefully just as good!

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Tech changes fast, peoples needs change & with it not being intended as a full time rig in mind I don't blame you mate, look forward to your itx rig. :)

The blogs were a good way to catch opinions & spark discussions on your thoughts about big rigs & water cooling & you know it's just about what you need or want from a rig mostly. :D

I know what it's like to leave a project unfinished but you always gain new experience with every bit done on it so it's no real loss & also know how it sucks if enthusiasm fizzles out for a project, can be hard or impossible to kick-start the engine again, I think the key to not letting your enthusiasm disappear for a project is when your sure about what you want from it & to try to do it in a shorter time making regular progress even if it's seemingly minimal progress like 1 drill hole in the right place :D you just see it edging towards the final working piece bit by bit, like if I left my current project for a week or more I'd probably stop progressing. :D

Enjoyed what you did on this anyway, was good stuff & to see a bit-tech staff member having a damn good go at a sweet bit of modding rocked, :dremel::rock: highlight for me was the multi coloured illuminated floor panel with water pass through bits, was awesome. :D

19. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I'm still rocking my Q6700... Are you telling me that 775 might not be the frontline anymore? :worried: :lol:

Sorry to hear it died man! Put the project in a box and get it out when you get old and grey! :)

20. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

mmm... just pick it up in 10 years, it'll be "retro" :D