1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam DotA 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Loafers, 15 Aug 2011.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Just wanted to comment on this part: Valve were looking for experienced players. Did you sign up for the beta? It asked players various questions related to the original Dota, things newcomers and even HoN/LoL players wouldn't have answers to.

Been watching a couple of my housemates playing, not so fussed about not getting a key anymore. It's kind of funny watching them play and listening to their comments. Things like "it's faster than HoN" when it clearly isn't from an outside persective or comments such as "Witch Doctor is better than Voodoo Jester" because they had a good game playing him. It's definitely still a beta, if you're just looking to have fun playing a polished and complete game then HoN/LoL is the way to go.

2. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

So, after a few games, feeling are mixed.

The game itself is wonderful. Feel like HoN, but without the ridiculous clunkiness, more smooth. It's incredibly pretty, the attention to detail is fantastic. Spectator mode is great, player perspective is a big win for me.

The there's the bad; the players. I don't know if it's because I've only got a few games under my belt but I'm being matched with some awful players. Admittedly there's bads on both side but I seem to end up with the ever-so-slightly more idiotic ones. Example: Second to last game I had a Sand King that went 0/10/3 and a Bloodseeker that was 2/10/5. I mean, really?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the best player; fairly average actually. My last hitting could use some work, I'll make silly decisions now and then and occasionally some that are nothing short of suicide but I don't make these mistakes every single time. It's kind of frustrating, but then again that's an inherent part of online gaming.

Anyway, rant aside, been playing Mirana mostly, she's pretty damn awesome. The stun is great, and Starstorm has the best noise ever. Not to mention the global invis, such good ganks :D.

3. Loafers

Loafers What's a Dremel?

4. Masterdeadly

Masterdeadly What's a Dremel?

I've heard that mana is harder to come by in Dota, will this be hard to adjust too being a LoL player ?

5. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Yes, take a quick look at HoN if your looking for something that is comparable.

You cant spam abilities like in LoL.....you need to use them at appropriate times. There is also no "b" function, you need to buy a tp scroll. BUt there is a courier to bring u item in lane

6. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

There is a lot that's different.

CC is harder and tends to last longer. If a team sets up and executes a good gank, they're going to be successful 95% of the time. If you **** up and end up out of position and get caught, you'll probably die. The harder CC tends to be the biggest difference with regards to the skill cap.

Mana is far harder to come by - you have a smaller mana and health pool comparded to league, skill costs are a little higher so spamming is a bad idea. As stated above you do have the courier who can bring you health/mana pots in lane should you need them, and items like perseverance can really help out.

The FoV is smaller than League, which is probably the hardest thing to get used to. It'll feel claustrophobic at first, but you'll stop noticing eventually.

Played some more games, seems to be more of the same. The player pool isn't that wonderful yet. Been trying Night Stalker and Anti-Mage. NS is ****ing awesome - go mid, farm up a little. As soon as it hits night, kill the other guy almost without fail. Then roam and gank everywhere else. And then cry a little when it hits daytime again :'(.

AM does some very, very nice damage and that blink is unbelievably useful for picking kills on enemies who are running away, or just GTFO'ng. Have managed to get myself trapped in random holes in the trees on more than one occasion (did it a couple times with Mirana's pounce too) but luckily it's not too long a cooldown.

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Just got my beta key last night, finally. Joined a group with four friends who'd all been playing for awhile and basically got free wins doing nothing while they won the game for me. Coming from HoN I was pretty lost at first, it's technically very similar but at first is so visually different that it took all of my concentration to ignore the small differences and see the game as a whole.

The biggest things that hit me coming from HoN:
    -That stupid bar on the top of the screen. I was trying to escape from a gank and my character wasn't moving for some reason. Turns out it was that bar at fault. Not sure who thought it would be a good idea to make people unable to send movement orders in the top 100 pixels or so of their screen.
    -You can't put items from your inventory into your stash unless your stash already has something in it. The little box for it simply vanishes when it has no items in it. The ones who have been playing Dota 2 for awhile pointed out that you can just put your items on the courier then press the return to stash button but this is clearly a work around for a simple UI problem.
    -What's with the enemy mini-map markers? The little X's seem like an odd choice, particularly since they're tied to the hero's orientation and spin obnoxiously.
    -The UI better describes how to upgrade items compared to HoN, it's actually similar to LoL. A nice simple tree showing all items required to make it and all future upgrade paths using that item, along with a marker designating if it's secret shop only.
    -Runes at the start of the game. Yes! The return of level 1 ganks!

8. wodgah

wodgah What's a Dremel?

I have the DOTA 2 beta and i must say coming from LOL its a huge jump in style and difficulty i find. ITs very fast paced and really un forgiving , im sure thats what the big DOTA2 players will love. I found it very hard to jump into and seems to be much more important to have great map awareness.

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Map awareness is definitely a big aspect of the game. Wards and miss calls are very important, but in the end it all comes down to the player having to look out for #1. Always keep the minimap in the corner of your eye, never know when you'll see a little enemy icon making its way towards you!

I'm happy to say I've actually found a bug to report! What's that? Playing a beta to help the game and not just get early access? Anyway: Razor's W ability says it works against enemy heroes but never specifically says it won't work on creeps. In fact, it will let you target creeps! However, it won't work, will take your mana, and will put the ability on cooldown.

10. clartymarty

clartymarty What's a Dremel?

has any1 been invited to this l8ly? I am really intrested in trying this but only signed up for the beta a couple of weeks ago so probs wont get anything back :waah:

Does any1 have anything to report on this been quiet l8ly and cant find anything about it just yet

11. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I got into the Beta yesterday :clap: Didn't have time to play a round because it was late but managed to at least download the client and watched a match that was going on.

12. clartymarty

aw man I want a key for this :(

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Just give it time. Valve seem to be letting in everyone who applies, some just take longer than others. I got mine within days of applying, must have just been lucky. Most of the community here seems to prefer League of Legends so it's a little quiet on Dota 2. A lot of that is likely that the game is a beta, I can't stress that enough.

I've got a couple other bugs/quirks to point out for anyone who's interested: The first, Riki's ult seems to randomly break from time to time. The buff won't display and you won't appear invisible. Confirmed with a team mate in Skype that you appear invisible to team mates, but obviously can't confirm what enemies see. Breaking "stealth" and letting it resume its effect seems to fix it. The second is one which I've been meaning to test more in a practice game: movement order queues. It seems that hitting shift+enter to type a message in all chat activates queue mode and can easily lead to accidental deaths. Hitting shift, alt and ctrl all at once exits queue mode, hitting just shift might work as well.

14. Treacles

Treacles Minimodder

Yeah i applied some time ago as well, before december at least, Been looking forward to trying this as LoL just seems to be full of kids paying for XP boosts so they can ruin Ranked matches o_O

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Had a good laugh at this. Trollin' real hard. :D

16. clartymarty

Thanks for giving your time to let me know :) I will be patient just excited to have ago lol. I am playing alot of LoL l8ly just to fill in the time but currently only started to play it so I am level 11, really could do with flash at level 12 ha-ha

I did try playing HoN but I like the play style of both LoL and HoN but the map and graphics are abit rubbish for my liking in HoN, there isnt much detail on heroes and the UI/Menu/Shop are abit cluttered.

I heard that the shop in game for Dota 2 is similar to LoL, is this correct? I prefere it because its more simpler and easy to navigate.

17. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

still waiting for a beta key :sigh:

18. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I was able to have a stab at some matches last night, it's definitely more DOTA lol :p

Like a post earlier in the thread if you haven't played a dota game in a while it takes a little getting used to at first, plus I had no clue which hero was which and just had to wing it. I've found the heroes that I usually play now and am looking to playing some more matches :D

Concede is definitely needed though, shame that's available at the moment. Coming from HoN the FOV was a little smaller but I got used to it after like 5 mins. I like watching live matches though, pretty cool to spectate in the Directed view :)

19. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I got my beta invite yesterday, or the day before.

However it's come about a week too late, just had a renewed interest in The Old Republic and that's taken all my time again.

+ That video blatantly is telling the truth :p.

Sent from bit-tech Android app

20. Treacles

Treacles Minimodder

Well if you havent the time to play it, i know someone who has :cooldude: lol