1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I've been seeing lots of tweets about Daredevil over the past few days, and I was talking with a friend last night who likes it. I'll give it another go.

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

The Drop - 7.5/10 (I believe it's the last movie James Gandolfini was in before passing away)

I watched it with my mom on the weekend and I rather enjoyed it. My mom wasn't as crazy about it, but I guess its just not her kind of movie. Some of the character interactions were a bit "odd" but that was just the way the characters were developed I think.

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Side Effects 9/10

Absolutely fantastic movie, a little odd and slow to begin with but gripping once you get past the halfway mark. Rooney Mara is probably my favourite actress after her performance in Dragon Tatoo, and she doesn't disappoint here either.

Horrible Bosses 2 3/10

Almost forgot about this one (I wonder why...). Pretty crap, most of the gags are borrowed from the first film and the characters are too stupid, so it's mostly unfunny with toilet humour from the depths of depravity. If you want to see Jennifer Anniston talk dirty about teenage boys, maybe this is for you.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2015
  4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

K19 Widowmaker 8/10

By no means a new film but a worthy mention. If you haven't seen it in a while I recommend a revisit. If you haven't seen it then your missing out.

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Dad and I did a submarine movie marathon the other day. No 'Das Boot' because he doesn't dig subtitles, but we saw 'The Hunt for Red October', 'U-571' and K19. Super, super fun.

I would put 571 and K19 level and Red October a shade ahead, but that just might be because I'm a hug Clancy fan.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Dark City 5/10

Ummm, It hasn't aged well, if you don't fall asleep in the first half the pace picks up in the second, and the story is okay...ish

7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Lucy Uhm/10

Finally got around to watching this, but I'm not really sure how to rate it. I was enjoying it up until the last quarter, where it felt like the writer just lost interest and couldn't think how to end it.

The Hobbit: Battle of 5 Armies 7/10

While I loved the book, the changes didn't annoy me as much as I thought it would - I enjoyed it.

8. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Age of Ultron... 8/10 - pretty damn good. Hulk buster fight ("go to sleep") certainly made me forget about what was going on in the real world for a bit!

Ian

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Got tickets for this tonight.... can.not.wait.

10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Cool, going today @ 13:00hrs, should ensure a pretty much private screening :D

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Anyone watch the Horror channel which I can now get on Freeview? I was unaware so many really rubbish "horror" films were made.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

The Blind Side 9/10

its not often a film with good character development comes along, but damn this is a fine example of how to do it right and make people feel good in the process, it loses a point for sandra bullock putting on a thick south american accent, but deffo worth a watch when you want cheering up.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I can. It'll be the first thing shown on the IMAX screen at my brand new local cinema when it opens on May 8th. :clap:

14. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Age of Ultron - 8.3

Saw it last night, loved the film. My personal rating system is pretty similar to the aggregate of IMDB in that it's almost logarithmic. So a 7 rated film is substantially better than a 6, 8 is a very solid film and 9 is entering truly astounding territory. So by that metric, 8.3 is a rather good score. No idea what the actual IMDB one is, won't be accurate for at least a month so didn't bother looking it up.

Thought the action was great and as usual the character interactions were stellar. This is noticeably an in-the-middle film though, in that it's clearly geared towards setting up for the later films where the Infinity gauntlet and Thanos come into play. I'm not so into the Marvel comics, but I'm fully aware of the background so this film did tickle me in the right places. That being said, it will mean substantially less to those who don't have the background, which is a shame. The first film did a good job in that regard, you didn't need to know a thing in order to get a lot out of it.

They got the humour just right too IMO. It's got that slightly cheesy old-James Bond wit, but they keep it fairly relatable, which I reckon makes it much funnier. Overall, worth the exorbitant cinema prices if you ask me. It's the sort of film that really benefits from a truly massive screen and powerful sound, thankfully I'm near the White City Westfield so both of those are in abundance.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

No IMAX in Namibia... otherwise that would have been the obvious choice, even if it meant waiting a bit.

16. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Snap, abusing Odeans Gallery viewing at the weekend for this. Sofa, unlimited drink and food and a dirty great screen :cooldude:

17. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Age of Ultron:-8.5/10

Pretty damn good, loved Veronica - go to sleep, go to sleep...

I agree about this one setting up what comes next, look forward to the next one.

Ok, Mad Max next I think!!

18. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I think it's American South accent ;) but otherwise I completely agree. I would add that I'm not sure she quite fills the 'mom' role well in this film, but it may just be the distracting accent that's throwing the rest of it off. Also, as good as the movie is, it's still an example of the White Savior trope, but I let it slide since it's based on a true story.

19. _crazy_crazy_

_crazy_crazy_ mi mum say's that i'm special

lool i'm in the same boat first movie i will see in imax got my tickets for the 29th ... less than a week to go lol

20. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

What we do in the Shadows [2014] 8/10

Absolutely hilarious mockumentary. Low-rent vampires living in a share-house. Fantastic range of characters. I went in expecting a few laughs, but didn't realise I would get that many.