1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Cloudisfast

Cloudisfast What's a Dremel?

Was looking for more of a monitor for gaming, so I think I'll still go with the AOC. Thanks for the website though, looks great for grabbing some bargains

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Well... that depends on who you ask! Dell's monitors are OK but not as good as they used to be. Shoddy QC nowadays and p!ss poor returns service (always get a refurb even if you buy new), it's not everybody's cup of tea.

I would get one for gaming, no problemo, but not for anything serious.

3. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I personally find 1200p at 24" much more comfortable to use. 1080p is too short if you know what I mean.

What monitor did you get out of interest?

4. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

5. Cloudisfast

Cloudisfast What's a Dremel?

I purchased the AOC G2460PG in the end. I'm sure I'll be satisfied with it.

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

But isn't a 980 completely overkill for 1080p? Wouldn't a 970 suffice? Or maybe even a 960? I always saw the 980 (and the Ti) as more of a 1440p/4K card.

Just an opinion, though.

And I pre-ordered Black Wings of Cthulhu as paperback (ISBN: 978-1783295739) yesterday.

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Today's been a fairly decent day in terms of deliveries!

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure I've had the #SSSSS coffee on the right before, perhaps in years past, but looking forward to trying it again all the same.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm not sure that's enough champagne. I think you might need a few extra bottles, just in case.

9. asura

asura jack of all trades

"Champagne Bollinger RD. The best!"

No idea about champagne, just remember the quote.

10. Mister_Tad

The best it is not, but out of the supermarket NVs, it's pretty decent.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm a philistine and can't tell you the difference between Chardonnay with sparkling water in it and the best champagne you care to offer me.

12. Mister_Tad

I posit that you probably could, as the former concoction sounds utterly awful!

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Aldi: Veuve Monsigny Brut. I kid you not: it would be pretty decent champagne at £25,--. At £9,97 it is absolutely outstanding.

How do I know? Well, by rigorous scientific comparative testing of course.

[​IMG]

Left to right: Compte de Brismand (Lidl), Verve Monsigny (Aldi) and Pierre Darcys (ASDA). All champagnes for a tenner around Christmas. Exhaustive repetitive and rigorous comparison was undertaken with repeated sampling under various conditions, at great effort and with complete disregard for personal safety or comfort. For science! The results were conclusive: Aldi's offering had the most refined taste with a lasting finish. Moreover it stood up well to much more expensive bottles like Charles Heidsieck or Heidsieck Blue Top Monopole. Close second was the Lidl champagne. ASDA's offering was OK but had a somewhat short finish.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2015
  14. Mister_Tad

You're not wrong - other £10 heroes are Lidl's Comte de Senneval and Tesco's Andre Carpentier - both easily as good as anything else commonly available in the <£30 range IMO.

The latter is one of those "WAS £30, NOW £12, OMGBARGAIN!" types, but it's £12 or so at least half the time.

Though I do find they often receive much fanfare via comparisons to something like Moet NV at £30, and Moet NV is basically vile. Lambrini comes off pretty well in comparison, especially if we're talking value stakes.

15. Nexxo

According to my wife (wine buyer for a big London company in a former life) Moët is released too early to keep up with demand because it is so popular. As a result it is far too young and tastes like piss. To allow it to develop its potential it should be kept in the cellar for another 2 years. Basically it is overhyped and overpriced.

16. Mister_Tad

I find Charles Heidsieck and Heidsieck Monopole blue top along the same lines as Moet NV to be honest - though I've not had any of them in years for aforementioned reasons.

I never knew there was actual science behind why Moet NV is so dire... interesting, as I just figured it was the fact that they're a big name, so they release piss because people will buy it anyway not knowing any differently. That said, it's interesting, but not interesting enough for me to buy any to keep for two years :D

The vintage Moets I've had have been lovely though, clearly a bit more consideration goes into them.

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

[​IMG]
    Lost my beat up scratched old Radar XLs, local optician had a bloke welch out on these after ordering, he let me have them at trade, score!

Now, keep stock lenses or get some HC3s...

18. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Yep a friend of mine in the know also says this "Moet, the Beats of the champagne world!" :rock:

19. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Not sure if it is considered as purchase, but posting it anyway. My i3 Haswell NUC died, sent it for RMA, getting a i3 Broadwell NUC (5I3MYHE - with two miniDP connectors) as a replacement.

20. Nexxo

Haven't had either for years myself. I remember Charles Heidsieck being quite good around 1997, but then again, so was Dom Perignon, and when I drank that again five years later, it was rather disappointing. Seems all the big names are dropping in quality. Small independent producers on the other hand throw up some really nice surprises.

The vintages have often been aged properly. It's what the non-vintage stuff could taste like.

True, dat. :p