1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. loftie

loftie Multimodder

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Rees-Mogg forgot that government accepted an amendment in lieu (amendment 25) to the Brexit Bill stating that there will not be “physical infrastructure, including border posts, or checks and controls” on the Irish border. So isn't going to happen.

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Sooooo.... the only way out of this is for NI to join Ireland?

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Except that England can't give NI back because the DUP are propping up the Tories and would instantly collapse the UK government.

And considering that Corbyn is already under intense pressure it is highly likely he would be ousted from Labour if his position was actually worth something, so Labour would then have to sort out a new leader and avoid splitting the party among leave / remain lines immediately after getting into power.

Meanwhile the EU will sit back and go tick tock tick tock...

5. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

It’s all Lloyd’s George’s fault. :lol:

Corbyn won’t be ousted now his wing of the party are firmly in control at all levels, they are just quietly removing all the right wing labour members.

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I vote we leave the EU, the UK leaves the UK and we all become part of the Republic of Ireland.

We both leave the EU and are in the EU,
    We reunite Ireland,
    Scotland gets it's independence from the UK, so does Cornwall, but now being part of RoI
    Westminster is no longer in charge,
    We gain Guinness as a national drink,
    Celebrating St Patrick's day now makes sense.

Problem solved! /s

Last edited: 26 Aug 2018
    MLyons likes this.
  7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I suspect the likes of JRM would welcome a return to the troubles, or at least they're indifferent to it, as if we're busy fighting each other we're less likely to question if the claims of millionaires, toffs, and so called elites that they're anti-establishment are true or not.

Misdirection isn't only used by magicians.

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Right.

About time I researched my family history. Rumours are my great grandma was Jewish and from europe. Hopefully she was from Germany and I can apply for a German passport.

9. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Or easier option just move to Germany.

10. adidan

Well we are keeping options open.

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

wait wait wait, Isn't there a part of a deal that came out of the troubles that allows NI to chose to join ROI?

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yes with a but.

Yes NI could hold a border poll (just another weird name for referendum) over that issue.

But the DUP (a political party from NI that is more loyal to England than England is to itself) is propping up the Tories in the UK government, so any separation of NI / UK (even one that falls well short of joining ROI) is effectively off the tables because the DUP fiercely opposes any such thing (and there is zero chance of the Tories winning a battle of will against the hardcore ideologues from the DUP), so if the DUP says jump the Tories ask how high...

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The Conservatives won't be in hock to the DUP forever though.

Besides what's the chances of any future UK government even allowing a referendum on the issue, some polling already shows support for reunification, while JRM said he's confident they would win Mrs May was uncertain so rejected the idea.

Labour, or at least Corbyn, (afaik) support reunification so it's probably more likely to happen under a Labour lead government than a Conservative one, and the latter will only allow a vote if they're confident of winning.

Unfortunately one road leads to the UK breaking up and the other an almost certain return to the troubles as anger grows towards a UK government doing their best impression of "NI said what?"

Last edited: 27 Aug 2018
  14. Nexxo

If NI holds a border poll and votes for unification, the DUP cannot stop government complying with it. It would violate the Good Friday Agreement. This is why the government doesn't want to hold a poll. But it can't stop that forever and, as Corky42 says, Labour would be more likely to let it go ahead.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Isn't it stormont that decides whether to have the referendum?

Which probably explains why the DUP torpedo any attempts at getting it up and working again. [Or at least that's how it looks from this side of the Irish Sea].

Also would the DUP care about breaching the GFA... They were against it in the first place and stirring up the trouble again seems right up their alley.

16. adidan

That's what I thought. Mind you nobody has been deciding anything in Stormont for quite some time.

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

So.... who chooses to have a referendum? Is the DUP the most powerful NI party?

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That's not how i understand it, happy to be corrected if I've got it wrong.

I think because parliament is, and always has been, sovereign any vote has to be legislated for, like it was for the Scottish indy ref.

19. adidan

Ah yeah I forgot, the UK parliament has to give 'permission'.

20. Nexxo

They may not care, but they'd effectively be breaking the law. Unless the DUP wants to be relegated to the same status as the IRA it may want to stay on the right side of that line.