1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The O.G. Prometheus was still my favourite though :thumb:

xaser04 likes this.
  2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Remember to say that unless you've done the following during a build, you're not doing it right:
    • A cut or gouge at least 1cm long.
    • Thought that you're the exception to the rule of being careful enough to prod around inside your PC with a metal screwdriver while the PSU is still on.
    • Panicking that you've killed the CPU, when actually all you've done is accidentally put the on button connection on wrongly.
    • Been paranoid that you've done the thermal paste wrong, because just because you've practised it twice now, doesn't necessarily mean it's spread well this time.
    • Not quite realised how powerful PC fans actually are (see first point).
    • Got halfway through and thought 'why am I doing this again?'.
    • The PC you build for a friend works perfectly. Yours does anything but.
    • You will NEVER match published benchmark results.
    • The overclock you have is perfectly stable. Right up until when it actually matters.
    • RAM only comes out easily when you have reached a minimum frustration level.
    • Wonder what happens if there's a power cut during updating the BIO...oh.
    • The components you've chosen are the only ones not on the motherboard supported list.
    • You will lose a screw in the case at some point, even if you have the most magnetic screwdriver to have ever existed. It will rattle every time you move the PC for the next 5 years.
    • Tool-less cases are so easy to use that you will break something forcing it in the wrong way (cue 'that's what she said').
    • Expect the first answer to any question you have to be 'is the PSU powerful enough?'.
    And the rest...

The_Crapman, Nexxo and xaser04 like this.
  3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Daedalus class is my favorite. Builds on the Prometheus design whilst being more "aggressive" in terms of looks. The addition of Asgard shields and Beam weapons just adds to the overall "bad assery".

Well saying that actually the Bilskinir class (Asgard OG) is actually my favorite. Absolutely massive (from memory it was quoted as being around 4-5 times larger than anything the Tau-ri had) and crazy powerful when it first appeared.

Don't forget not turning on the PSU and thinking the whole PC is completely dead, not checking and rebuilding only to find it has the exact same issue. Extra points if the PSU is internal like on some ITX cases and you do this more than once with different components...

IanW and Pete J like this.
  4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Been caught out by this one before now. I always have problems with seeing all the tiny markings. Last time I resorted to using a magnifying glass and head torch. WHY can they not use a single block plug? If it's because the pin layout is not standardised, then it should be.

IanW, xaser04 and Pete J like this.
  5. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Nope, they're sending me a phone/tablet stand and a USB-C to Headphone adapter.

Pete J likes this.
  6. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's honestly gone perfectly. When I first set it up unofficially I wasn't sure how it was going to go. Now, I think you put it perfectly, It feels like an extension of the forums. The same atmosphere just with a few different faces and quicker replies.

perplekks45 likes this.
  7. oscy

oscy Modder

I'm finally upgrading my 2500k to... a 2600k. :grin: Those extra threads are handy.

£83 even though it sells for £50+, but seems only one other person spotted in the description that the guy is posting it in its motherboard, which sells for £45 minimum!

goldstar0011 likes this.
  8. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Never did finish Atlantis :'(

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The first thing I do in any new build:-
    1. [​IMG]
    2. Insert crimps into 1. following diagram in motherboard manual.

10. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

If the front I/O pinout is integral to the ATX standard, why don't all case manu's make the power switch, etc leads as a unified connector?

Must admit that adapting a case's I/O header to a 4x2 block is summat that appeals to me, for simplicity... and I still don't get why on of those four still get supplied as 2 singles vs a double.

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Jun 2020
  11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Picked my RS up, at long last, so now it's tucked away in my own garage ready for the fiddling to make it Germany legal. Which is going to be cool.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My board works! *happy dance*

Full detail in this 'ere post! Context-free version for the impatient:

jinq-sea, bawjaws, Pete J and 2 others like this.
  13. oscy

oscy Modder

RE: My Ebay purchase

The guy sent a long paragraph about how he kindly posted it at the post office as he misprinted the label and it's coming guaranteed next day delivery 1pm, and gives more info on the mobo and how you can see in the pic one of the slots is broken but mobo works.

Now I as myself: is he a friendly talkative old fella or the obsessive argumentative type? But I reply thanking him and say I didn't notice the slot but if it all works then no problem.

He replies back saying "only the CPU was for sale" and the mobo is "a bonus".

I decide whether I wanna go down that road, and take a tenative step with "To be fair, the reason bids got so high was due to the motherboard also being with it" but as it works it's no problem. I ask if post was in time for next day delivery.

He just replies "To also be fair .....i listed the cpu with mobo used as packaging....."

I realise the answer to my earlier question to self and quietly don't reply. :worried:

MLyons likes this.
  14. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Do mean you never finished watching the show or that show wasn't properly wrapped up?

15. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

didnt finish watching :(
    Think it broke over my leaving university, so my ability to, er, "acquire" :worried: episodes was at its lowest ebb...

16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Came down the stairs after doing physio, legs a bit wobbly and I stumble in the last step, stub my toe HARD, fall over, bang my bad hip, in lots of pain, punch the sideboard in anger/frustration, it's an old hardwood one so doesn't budge and now my hand kills and knuckles are swelling nicely. I grabbed ice from the freezer and put it in a sandwich bag, sat on the sofa, pulled my right foot onto my left thigh, hooked the bag between my big toe so it sat on the swollen pinky and then pushed my bruised knuckles into it.

So why is this here? 4 months ago, I wouldn't have been able to just lift my leg under its own power and put my foot on my thigh like that. I'd probably not have been able to get my foot to that position even lifting it with my arms, it would have hurt too much. I wasn't able to hold it for very long, but it's progress. Massive progress.

IanW, Arboreal, perplekks45 and 4 others like this.
  17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Two Apache choppers just flew over my house in North London, first time I've seen them in the "flesh".

18. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I want to like your post but I don't want to appear like I am liking your string of mishaps and injuries.

IanW, Arboreal and The_Crapman like this.
  19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

They don't call me Mr Bump for nothing! :hehe:

IanW and adidan like this.
  20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

* currently drinking tea out of Mr Bump mug *

Will the real slim Mr Bump please stand up.