1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It's equally hilarious when gammons get offended when they are referred to by the monkier they've earned.

Stay salty, gammon.

stuartpb likes this.
  2. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Backatcha you liddle loonie leftie you ;-) Much love xxx

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

4. RedFlames

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Cool, identity politics, 'cos we could do with more tribalism and divisions in society.

[​IMG]

(More appropriate to social media, but whatever)

MLyons, ModSquid and enbydee like this.
  6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

You would say that you loony leftist/fascist rightwinger*

(*delete as appropriate as that''s all that exists)

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

How dare y- how DARE you?!

My free speech is being curtailed!

[​IMG]

I know, I'm being a dick. But the last several pages of... "discussion" basically boils down to: "Yeah Tories=bad, but Labour=worse!" "No way!" "Yes way!" "No way and here's why!" "Yes way because they're ALL bad!"

Aaaaand wouldn't you know it, we're exactly where we started several pages ago: 39 million people infected and 1.09 million dead. Here's the funny thing: SARS-COV-2 doesn't give a flying **** what tribe you belong to and doesn't give a flying **** how individual members of the species choose to differentiate themselves. I am a centre-left, liberal, educated, pacifist, middle-class, elitist; I am just as susceptible to this disease as the 39,196,259 other humans who have been infected and the 1,101,298 other humans who have died.

Also: those numbers are ****ing terrifying. Seriously: ****ing terrifying...

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

...But who's in charge has a distinct impact on how effective the virus is at running rampant through a society, does it not? Otherwise how do you explain how terrible things have been for us and how successful New Zealand has been? Sure, the virus isn't thinking "I agree with Arden's politics, I'll go easy on them" but the outcome is undeniably the same as if it was.

9. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

No no Ardern's covid response was "disastrous" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/17/jacinda-ardern-no-hero/ presumably because it didn't line the private sector pockets with billions for doing nothing and put people before profit.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  10. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I do agree that current and past Covid 19 policies have been at best half arsed and at worst downright dangerous. I also agree that the Tories have themselves to blame for this. Much the same as I hold Trump responsible for the situation in the US. We need to hold those who've fecked up accountable and question their policies.

Where I differ in opinion is that I think some Labour politicians and supporters are trying to politicise what is a human crisis. They are still thinking in terms of party politics and winning political brownie points as opposed to facing a humanitarian crisis and putting forward ways in which we can try and deal with the crisis. Before anyone points out the obvious, I know there are Tory politicians and supporters doing exactly the same. I do still believe Labour would offer no real alternatives to where we are now. They could have, should have but haven't. Make all the excuses you like but that's the truth.

I have the mindset that if we have a problem and someone tries a solution that doesn't work, by all means offer constructive criticism but if that's all you do then you become part of the problem yourself. Maybe if more politicians thought like that we'd be in a happier place just with that.

EDIT: Case in point with politicians trying to gain political brownie points:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54589480

Burnham reminds me very much of Arthur Scargill when he was drawing swords with Thatcher. Scargill and Thatcher turned their battle into a personal battle of wills, I believe Burnham is trying the same!! He wants to make a name for himself as the champion of the North, he's a feckin chump!

Last edited: 18 Oct 2020
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's hardly a fair comparison, New Zealand are playing on Easy mode. They don't even have any cities on the board - they're not even on the board...

[​IMG]

*Proper non-sarcastic reply coming later, I'm on my way out the door soon...

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If the "author" of that "opinion piece" just wanted to slag off the Covid response of an "eeeevil lefty" why didn't he pick Mexico? Where a lefty actually did f*** up the Covid response?
    Or did the Torygraph management insist he slag off one of them eeeevil wamenz?

13. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I'm afraid I don't have the answer as to why the death cult cheerleader chose NZ, perhaps it was just topical with the election over there.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'd consider hundreds of daily deaths in country 1 more topical than an election with predicable results in country 2... but then maybe I'm just getting old and out of touch:eek:

15. RedFlames

Ardern was never exactly a Boris fan -

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

NZ are playing on easy mode 'cos they shut the borders. Anyone flying into the country (3.5 hours flight time from the next country) has to quarantine. The only cases they have had for months have been sourced from these quarantined people ( those who "escaped" quarantine is another thread).

NZ sacrificed its international tourism industry, along with the secondary industries that benefit from it, to do so. It was a big (and brave) call to make. It worked.

At the height of the March/April lockdown, I seem to recall that tens of thousands of people were arriving DAILY in the UK...does that make sense?

Adern may appear to be "loony left" to rabid Torygraph/Mail readers, but to judge her by historical standards she is centrist. Something the UK needs more of.

This alt-right Tory government are more interested in lining the pockets of their "benefactors", much more blatently than any previous flavour of corrupt public schoolboy narcissist sociopaths, than any I have seen in my 30+ years in this country.

I am looking to leave, luckily I have a choice of three other countries, and we haven't even started on the clusterf**k that is Brexit yet.

MLyons likes this.
  17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Until fairly recently that was actually a pretty mainstream view... ahh the good old days.

18. RedFlames

Anyone to the political left of Oswald Mosely is 'the loony left' to the Torygraph and Mail. They'd probably regard Thatcher as a whinging remoaner.

19. RedFlames

Enjoy your complimentary bag of Monster Munch @Nexxo

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Which mate of Wangcock owns a commemorative badge factory?