The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

I would like to see them continue this till we sub 1k cases. Wont happen like, We will reopen with 10k+ and wonder why in april we are back at 30-40k

MLyons likes this.
  2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

:lol::lol::lol:

3. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

It's not just "covidiots" to blame, this is a highly transmissible virus. If lockdown is lifted when there more than zero covid cases then the case rate will go up. If we're sent back to work in offices or other enclosed spaces the case rate will go up. The only way of maintaining a state of no lock down is to have an effective test, trace and isolate program, which I'm not sure we have. The government is banking on the vaccination program to ease the burden at hospitals so that it won't matter (and hoping vaccine resistant strains don't arise).

4. rollo

rollo Modder

People refuse to Isolate is a major problem. UK government will have to pay people to isolate is a feeling

5. Risky

Risky Modder

[​IMG]

MLyons likes this.
  6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Who wouldn't want to pick up a side of 'Rona when getting 51% off at Nando's followed by lots of hugging at the old folks home?

Don't worry: Both the government and people learned from their mistakes, thats why this time round it'll be 51% off instead of 50%:lol::lol::lol:

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"Dine Out to Die Out!"

Mr_Mistoffelees and MadGinga like this.
  8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Meanwhile on another planet ehh in Western Australia:

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-as-covid-reality-hits-western-australia-hard

9. oscy

oscy Modder

Don't know if we can blame people doing their own 'common sense' thing during various mockdowns (nothing stupid like parties), yet also blame those blindly following government advice and assurances when out of it.

10. Risky

Risky Modder

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The government has refused to reduce the 12-week gap between vaccination doses, instead of the actually-tested three-week gap, because "humpty million injections given" sounds a lot better than "(humpty million/2) vaccinations completed" to people who aren't paying attention (which is to say, the majority of the electorate).

Elsewhere, Public Health England has confirmed cases of the more-contagious 501Y mutation that gave us the B117 "UK variant" having been found with the E484K "South African" mutation - the one that virologists and immunologists are concerned might be resistant to vaccination (dropping, in current understanding, from 89 percent efficacy to 60 percent - no evidence yet it's completely resistant.)

Combine those two snippets, and... well, I'm no immunologist, but that sounds like a recipe for a Bad Time.

EDIT:
    And at least one of the members of SAGE is pretty clear on keeping the schools closed.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2021
  12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Add in the third snippet of some places in Europe like Austria and Italy loosening restrictions so it can happily spread and mutate further...

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Oxford reckons 12 weeks might be OK after all:

14. Risky

Risky Modder

Was just reading that on the BBC https//www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55910964

Getting those first doses out there has to be the priority.

15. walle

walle Minimodder

I took my wife out for dinner two weeks ago. I like those small independent restaurants where the owner is the chef, most of these places are dying they're never gonna make it thru this, still I try (as many others do) to do what I can to help them out.

Anway.
    We were served by Hannibal Lecter, with a Hannibal Lecter hostess, and a Hannibal Lecter waiter wearing latex gloves, and we couldn't' get a salt and pepper shaker, instead we got those disposable things in little cups.

Because we're apparently supposed to be concerned that somebody else might have touched the salt & pepper shaker, in which case death would be imminent.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2021
  16. walle

walle Minimodder

Terror and fear makes people compliant, it also makes them authoritarian. Always been this way.

Now it's not a national enemy that has "everyone" terrified and angry, it's the C-virus, which means each other. Perhaps we will return to normal again with national enemies being the focus for people.

Perhaps they will recycle Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Russia or North Korea.

It's for government to decide.

17. Gareth Halfacree

18. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I'll still be wiping down my work surfaces, and sanitising my hands after being in communal areas.

19. Risky

Risky Modder

20. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I think the thing to bear in mind is that there are an awful lot of people in the world. 1.5m shots a day seems like a lot until you realise that that still means it will take a year and a half to fully vaccinate the entirety of the US population (this isn't a criticism at the US vaccination rate BTW). Now imagine how much disposable coffee cups the US uses every year... But maybe that's more an indication of the scale of the task than anything else.

I keep track of it here, mainly because they're a pretty nice site for all kinds of interesting data
    https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Also, RE surface transmission, it's my understanding that the whole hand-wiping/sanitising stuff is a legacy from an earlier understanding of the virus. It certainly doesn't hurt (and will have all kinds of other benefits), but it should probably be de-emphasised from the govt messaging (in favour of the more important stuff).