1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Show me your... NAS/Server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Votick, 12 Aug 2011.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Good stuff! We were in Charminster 20+ years ago, and tried to move to Queens Park. Trouble was, estate agents were selling Charminster properties at QP prices.
    What we called 'Not Quite Queens Park'!
    I am over 50 now, but moved here at 30 :p:.
    There is an irony over here that bungalows on some roads near HH are more expensive than houses, because of demand by 'silver tops'.
    I would love to put a top on my garage to make a man cave, but the kitchen is top of the list and has been for waaaaaaay too long, so SWMBO would kill me if we didn't do that first.

2. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Feels a little lackluster compared to some of the others in this thread but it does me!

i3 4150
    16GB DDR3
    AsRock H81
    Seasonic PSU

256GB Samsung 860 as / with Debian stable
    Old OCZ 32GB for /swap
    8TB Seawolf Ironwolf for 'vault' storage
    4TB WD Green as rsync backup
    4TB WD Green as plex video storage

It's mostly as a NAS and plex server, but it also hosts a few VMs. It provides much-needed stability and reliability when I'm tinkering with other computers.

1585077707490.remmina-2020-4-14-9:14:28.748335.png
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Apr 2020
    Byron C, Arboreal and ElThomsono like this.
  3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Following a recent upgrade, I now have "too much storage" in my primary NAS

[​IMG]

"Too much" is a temporary situation, of course. But feels nice none the less.

Arboreal and MadGinga like this.
  4. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

this statement does not make any sense :grin:

How'd you get 12 drives connected?

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

[​IMG]

I plugged 'em in to each of the 12 bays ;)

It's a Synology RS1219+ with RX418

Arboreal likes this.
  6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

So I'm currently dipping my toe into servers and have gone with Ubuntu Server as an OS. I've managed to install OpenSSH and connect my Macbook Pro to it via SSH Private Keys.

The next thing I'd like to try and get working is RAID. In my HP Microserver I have a 250gb drive for the OS, and 4 x 4tb WD Purples to RAID, then store backups, web server and git server.

Does anyone have a good guide to setting up a RAID? I followed one and I think it's set up correctly in RAID5, and have been able to see an 11tb "drive" which seems about right once you take the RAID into account, but I'm with where to go next, how to create I presume folders to share via SAMBA.

7. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

You are correct creating the RAID volume is only the first step. Your next step is to determine how you want to be able to access the volume. Setting up a SAMBA serve on you microserver is one option. Seeing as you have an apple computer you may wish to investigate an Apple file sharing (AFS) server and or alternative NFS (network file storage) a Unix protocol. I don't recall if Timemachine uses the AFS or not. If you do point timemachine at you microserver you want to also create disk quotes to prevent it from using the whole 11 tb.
    After you have your network access setup you'll want to look at maintenance routines. Periodic backups and other task to keep your data safe. Remember RAID is not a backup.

I'd consider replacing the RAID 5 with three drives in a logical volume or (R)AID 0 volume for ~11 TB of storage, and use the 4th disk as a backup ~3.6 TB of recent backups (hourly, daily snapshots). You'll likely want to add second offline backup

8. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Finally got around to cabling the new house

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Yaka, Mister_Tad and goldstar0011 like this.
  9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Those red cables got a stronger grip on life than I do.

10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

whats running on those pi's

11. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I'd say you're reaching but you've got nothing on a couple of those red cables.
    Very Nice, what the little white box in the middle?

deathtaker27 likes this.
  12. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Speaking of Pis, I've got this booting Ubuntu off of USB on one of the drives. I plan to set up a ZFS root on the other one, boot off that, then make the first one a mirror.
    [​IMG]

Yaka likes this.
  13. creative

creative 500rwhp

My heater setup.

[​IMG]

from bottom to top:

dual xeon unraid server with 22Tb of storage.
    dual xeon Exsi server to play around with vms with a couple of Tb in it
    pfsense router - not yet deployed but will be soon.
    RPi3b running Pi-hole
    crappy isp router - be glad to get rid of that!
    small ups for the unraid server - have a second one to go in to power the pfsense box.
    unmanaged 24 port gigabit switch
    patch panel
    unmanaged 24 port POE+ switch ( will be used for my cctv system )

Currently wiring the house and need to hook them upto the patch panel instead of direct to the switch as it is now.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2021
  14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

CyberPower UPS buddy! Love those things. Made the mistake of buying an Eaton which was *awful* - replaced it with one of the newer CyberPowers with LCD display panel.

15. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Bought 50cm cables thinking it would be fine, it was "just" fine ... I will probably get new cables for those runs when I do my next purchase

Currently just DNS on one pi (Another DNS vm is running on the desktop, and I have the NAS in the study where all the data is held)
    The other Pis will become part of my home kubernetes cluster, just waiting for the rack mount for 6 pis to be delivered
    There is one more Pi downstairs with a tvhat for Plex use so I can watch british TV when abroad

White box is a bt vdsl modem thing I picked up a while back, I'm waiting for my contract to expire so I can get fttp (900mb down :D )

16. creative

creative 500rwhp

It was free so cant complain. Its due a battery change though as the second one I got with it was as dead as a door nail! Put a new battery in that one on the weekend so should be good for a couple of years.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I replaced the battery in my old one after about seven years - should be good for another seven, hopefully.

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm looking for one that is fanless or very quiet, for my NAS - we've had two or three power cuts or brown outs since xmas.

19. Gareth Halfacree

The upright ones like those tend to be fanless, as do the smaller flat ones. My new one's a CyberPower VALUE1000EILCD, 1000VA. Completely silent in general use, though when it flips over to battery power the inverter makes an audible buzz. No fan.

Arboreal and David like this.
  20. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The buzz of a UPS running on battery is very reassuring, it feels like you're on board a submarine.