1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

134th in queue for Scans delivery on 3080s (likely to be offered an EVGA over the ASUS ROG ordered). Order date 16th Jan, estimated delivery has moved from beginning of March to mid April.

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

If you have any superglue, use a thin smear of it to seal the dried cut. Not too much so that it makes a lump.

I get splits in my fingers in the cold months, which are slow to heal. This 'simple trick' :)lol:) has proven to be a real help over the recent years.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Caption "Timmeh!" Redbeard strikes again. Finally getting somewhere with the bedroom switcheroo and organising, Lauren comes back from work just as I've come to the end of a rest in between shuffling, i make a coffee and we go upstairs to review the progress and talk about anything that needs changing/switching/doing. Manage to **** the coffee off the bedside table over the bed :duh: so spend the next 15 mins stripping the bed, mopping up and scrubbing to avoid a stinky bed, now knackered and in pain again, so have to rest. Again. Can't go out and grab the toolboxes I ordered and the bits I need to finish the rewiring as that will only aggravate the already annoyed nerves.

I can't go a day without some sort of calamity. I have to take breaks enough as it is to avoid burnout and it's so difficult to get back in a good rhythm when I have to have and extended rest. Will probably have to work through the evening now. If I'm even up for it after this.

4. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

So... that interview Tuesday

Went out 9pm tonight to pick up the missus from work and hit a massive pothole straight on. Just completely wasn't with it, I’m super burnt out with everything all I heard was the deafening clunk of life isn’t quite going my way... pulled over and I’ve got a flat. Alloy looks buggered...

Redundancy measures in place for Tuesday but now I need to figure out how to get this repaired, £225 spent for a replacement front and rear (presuming the rear must have damage) will need to factor in recovery from home of which my breakdown won’t cover. At least one new tyre, temporary insurance on my parents car and fuel.

My much needed mock interview for tomorrow won’t happen, my deadline for tomorrow is well and truly blown, I likely won’t make my dentist appointment Monday and will likely lose my NHS space and hopes of fixing my tooth and Instead of a days peace at work preparing for an interview I’m wildly underprepared for I’ll be doing it at home struggling to concentrate from the start...

this is not how I wanted this to go

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

@DeadP1xels limp the car just further than your breakdown policy specifies as 'home'. Job done.

Pete J and The_Crapman like this.
  6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Shout-out to AutoAid Breakdown. I've used 'em for years, and they're not only cheaper than RAC/Green Flag/AA but cover home breakdowns as standard: if the vehicle can't be repaired at the side of the road, they'll tow it to the nearest garage. The only thing the home recovery is missing compared to standard recovery (which triggers a mile plus from your home address) is recovery to any UK destination.

They're only an insurance broker, though, they don't have their own patrols - they just use a recovery firm local to you. Never had a problem with 'em, though, and we had a fair few recoveries on our last car (and one call-out on the new one when it had a flat and my wife didn't feel confident in using the compressor-plus-goop manufacturers give you instead of a spare these days.)

7. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Over paid council tax this year...... yeah I know, stupid... don't ask.

Still waiting for a refund for £174 despite several emails back and forth, with the average response latency of around 604800000ms.

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Still waiting for my cybernetics.

(They fit the definition. The foot part works like the blade legs for runners AND the straps work with my compression hose to keep blood returning, as the foot's control is all shot. The knee keeps my flesh and bone knee together as it's super prone to bending in impermissible directions. It's like a supercharged version of the one I wore a few years back.)

Nobody knows when they will be done.

And I need my left arm repaired or removed (and I support the latter.) It's pulling my spine severely out of alignment (I'm only 6'4" now, though without the accident that damaged my spine and the resultant scoliosis/kyphosis I'd be something like 6'9".) Take it off and let me build a prosthetic. I know what I'm doing (UNLV honorary doctorate in ortho, specifically orthotics/prosthetics. Can't say who I worked for but one of the true bionic hands has my handiwork in it.)

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The cat's getting sicker, so we've made the call and booked an in-home euthanasia visit for tomorrow. Got to break it to the kids now.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Bugger. Condolences, Gareth.

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Ah man, that is rough. Having had to do similar with our last remaining cat back in October, I really do feel your pain. Our kids were absolutely distraught and breaking the news to them was genuinely horrendous. We went through the same thing with them a couple of years back when the first cat had to be put down, and they were really upset by that, but being a few years older actually made it harder for them second time around.

Owning pets is amazing and incredibly rewarding, but the downside of losing them eventually really sucks. And when you have to make the decision to let them go it's awful, but you have to do right by them and sometimes the kindest thing is to not drag things out unnecessarily (whilst also giving them every chance). My condolences.

12. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

So sorry to hear that, Gareth.
    An awful moment, but at the end of a life with a devoted family. Not nice for the girls, but death has to be confronted some time.
    We lost our 8 YO bunny last summer, the kids has lost interest, so he was my daily responsibility for quite some time.
    I went in one morning and he wasn't in the upper part of his hutch, which was unusual at feeding time.
    I looked down on the lower lever, and he was lying there twitching. I distinctly remember saying Noooooooooo really quite loudly.
    Poor fella had had a stroke, as is typical with older rabbits.
    Didn't make it to the vet, cuddles all round on the lawn and (thankfully) within an hour he'd stopped breathing.
    I hadn't cried as much in a long time...
    Our condolences to you all too, especially as we are now cat owners for the first time, having found a cat that didn't set off my wife's allergy.

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Well that's just bloody awful mate :(

How old is the poor little bugger?

When our girl eventually goes I will be an absolute wreck.

14. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Sorry to hear that

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I need a bigger room for all my assorted crap..

I built the boxes for Facebones and Metal Gear Rex, and Facebones will go where I planned, but Rex won't quite fit without looking absurd.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Thanks, all.
    About 14 - not that old, but when it's your time it's your time.

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Heartbreaking decision to have to make. I think it's nice it can be done at home so they can spend their last moments with you all in familiar surroundings.

I never got to say goodbye to my childhood cat and it was devastating. I found the old cot quilt he used to sleep on yesterday and gave it to Ralph, who's so similar in both looks and personality,and he took to it immediately. Brought a year to my eye just thinking about him and how he used to take me on a tour round the garden when I came home, which I always thought was to show me how he'd been on top of mouse control.

Arboreal likes this.
  18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Feel really bad for you G, our girl is just a bit older at 15.

Furry little buggers just get to you. :(

Arboreal likes this.
  19. Gareth Halfacree

The deed is done. Very pleased we went with an in-home vet - it meant I could keep him company until the very end.

Isitari, IanW, Goatee and 1 other person like this.
  20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

:(

Good that vets are offering that service in the current circumstances. Means you can avoid that last stressful journey and hopefully make things a bit easier on everyone.

Hope you guys are all doing okay, especially your kids.

Gareth Halfacree and Arboreal like this.