1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Tart.

b1g-d0g, adidan and The_Crapman like this.
  2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

[​IMG]

adidan likes this.
  3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Dinner on a boat on the Seine during sunset with my wife.

We did a similar boat ride as part of the client event and I enjoyed it tremendously. I mean, who wouldn't enjoy seeing all the sights without a crowd around them or in their line of sight, including the Eiffel tower light show? But now I'll do it with my wife, which makes this even better.

b1g-d0g, IanW, kenco_uk and 3 others like this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Andy, we all know what that's for really

[​IMG]

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Gotta maintain that daz-esque whiter than whiteness somehow

Vault-Tec and adidan like this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Bit of a vaping blowout today.

Smok R-Kiss 2 kit (includes TFV Mini v2 tank)

[​IMG]

Xtar VC2 charger

[​IMG]

2x 20A 18650 cells

[​IMG]

And a 100ml shortfill bottle of Vampire Vape's Heisenberg, because this Blow White rhubarb stuff I bought is not great.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm not really supposed to be spending, but...

[​IMG]

Amazon's finest, cheapest Blu-ray player, plus...

[​IMG]

Cheapo HDMI-to-SCART adapter. There's basically nothing out there that converts to an RGB signal, but for a tenner it gets the above talking to my old CRT. The picture quality's surprisingly good, actually - either I'm forgetting what they looked like, or it can give DVD over a proper RGB SCART connection a run for its money.

Surprisingly, it also works without the pictured USB power cable - just pulling power over HDMI. Makes the wiring easier, that.

It's got "smart" functionality, too, including network media playback and a Netflix app. No Wi-Fi, tho', so that'll have to wait until the furniture's in and I know where I'd have to run a cable.

IanW and b1g-d0g like this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'd be interested to hear your experience of using the "smart" stuff on a CRT. I mentioned in another thread that I want some kind of media playback capability for my CRT TV, but TBH I'd written off any streaming stuff because of the lack of HDCP.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I believe, but don't quote me on this, that even the cheapest of HDMI-to-SCART/CVBS adapters happily lies about supporting HDCP. At least, I just had this Blu-ray player running a commercial pressing of Hackers and it didn't think twice about it. In theory, the apps on the player should be the same.

Byron C likes this.
  10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Thanks for the tip!

I had a spare Fire Stick kicking around that would have been perfect for this... but I got rid of it a while back :duh:.

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

12. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

13. Gareth Halfacree

Follow-up to this: I found an ancient Chromecast doing nowt, and I can confirm it works perfectly with the HDMI to SCART CVBS adapter.

Imagepipe_17.jpg

That's Crunchyroll, streamed from my phone. No complaints about HDCP.

IanW and Byron C like this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Excellent, thanks for the follow-up, Mr H!

Of course this now means I’m going to go look for a cheap Chromecast or Fire stick…!

Edit: Of course, this is where I realise that I had a spare Fire stick from a few years ago… which I threw out not too long ago…

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Don't get a chromecast 1. Google have dropped support.
    https://arstechnica.com/google/2023...t-hits-end-of-life-after-a-decade-of-service/

Argos currently have the top-of-the-line Firestick 4K Max Ultra HD for only £4 more than the poverty-level Firestick Lite.

Byron C likes this.
  16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yesterday I stripped down my cooker extraction hood and cleaned it all out. Noticed one of the bubs in it was dead, so.

[​IMG]

Also whilst cleaning and tidying I found this thing in a box in storage.

[​IMG]

I bought it years ago when I moved in, but the radio reception was awful. So I packed it away again. Yesterday I found it, and realised it has Bluetooth. So in the very least I can use it as a receiver for the hifi, nice. Any way, I wanted to give the DAB and FM one last shot, so I bought this. It's the thing on the wall.

[​IMG]

NASA designed aerial, basically. Like I say, if it doesn't help I will just use apps on the phone to play the radio that way, but the ads on those apps get on my tits. Play videos and everything when you change channels ffs.

17. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

This arrived on my drive this morning. No idea how it got there :naughty::grin:

[​IMG]

One of the pedals make it go zoom zoom though

NickCPC, Pete J, adidan and 2 others like this.
  18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

A new lens, Fujinon XF90mm F/2. And a Peak Design wriststrap as I've found the neck strap to get in the way when shooting vertically.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2023
    samkiller42 likes this.
  19. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Ooo, I bet the 90 is rather nice to use too.

Sam

20. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I've just got back from hollibobs and had a very quick look through the XF90 to check it works ok. I'm loving the way the camera can show you where you're manually focused. It auto focuses quite quickly too. The ebay seller was moving on from Fuji and I thought at £459 it was quite the bargain! He also had an XF16 for sale too but I've been lent one of those and I'm not sure it fits in really - wideangle is fun, but I quite like more intimate shots which is why the 90 was very appealing.

I had some fun on my first walkabout with the 18-55 lens this week and I'm impressed with the rapid focusing and the camera's ability to handle aperture priority while taking care of shutter speed and iso. The tactile feedback from the dials is going to really help too when dialling in and through time and use, even (well, hopefully) becoming muscle memory. Flickr updated.

adidan likes this.