1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

It's impressive to see how much texture they have managed to get out of a model built with smooth plastic parts.

IanW likes this.
  2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

That's why I grabbed it on sight.

Almightyrastus likes this.
  3. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

So the hutch arrived today. Pretty impressed, had a few minor teething issues at first. Few screws not biting, had to reposition some of them. Nothing major but as it was like the second panel I was a bit worried!

Overall I can see why it was so expensive compared to other hutches. It does make their previous hutch (while still completely serviceable!) just a bit crap… they’re already making use of the room and figured out the ramp which was my biggest concern.

Think I may stop being such a cheapskate and get the insulated layer rather than attempting myself. Throw in some microwaveable pads like you’ve mentioned and I think they’ll be fine

bawjaws and IanW like this.
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Bunch of largely work-related stuff:

[​IMG]

My copy of McNae's is getting a little long in the tooth - 19th Edition, 2007 - and is also clearly marked "BBC Research Library, Room 2077, please do not remove from the library" (it weren't me!), so figured I'd get the shiny new one.

[​IMG]

Took a gamble on these: wireless clip-on lavalier mics, with a USB Type-C receiver. They charge in the case, like Bluetooth headphones, and talk to the receiver over a 2.4GHz link. It was £15 the set, so you can imagine the build quality - but they do work, and I can even use 'em on the desktop plug-and-play like. There's also some surprising quality-of-life features in there: each mic also has a USB Type-C connector on it so you can charge it outside the case, and the receiver has a Type-C passthrough port so you can charge your phone at the same time.

[​IMG]

A couple of cheap energy-monitor smart plugs, mostly 'cos we'll be decorating for Xmas soon and it'd be handy to be able to turn the tree and village scene off without digging about behind the TV. Until then, I'm using 'em to quantify how much energy some stuff uses - like the various dehumidifiers and my desktop setup in the office.

Speaking of: turns out I use about 1.1kWh for a day's work. That's with the speakers and sub going, monitor on a low brightness 'cos it's been miserable today, LED desk lamp, and includes the 20W or so the mesh router and suspend-to-RAM desktop draw when I'm not actively using 'em. Didn't think that was too bad!

Weekly_Estimate, Byron C and IanW like this.
  5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

A BMW i3. Really impressed with it and the past two cars I've had being Diesel, this was truly bizarre pulling off in silence. I'll be going to pick it up next week. Then it'll be time to sell my beloved Golf that's done me proud the past 7 years.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Nov 2023
  6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Nice, an impressive bit of kit. My first ride in an electric car was an i3 with range extender. The acceleration felt like a roller coaster ride!
    So spacious too for the outside dimensions.

Isitari, IanW and kenco_uk like this.
  7. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Weeks Holiday In Torronto Canada In january over my Birthday :), might as well spend my 40th in a different country lol

8. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

XFX Speedster QICK 319 Core Edition AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 Go GDDR6
    [​IMG]

Vault-Tec, b1g-d0g, adidan and 3 others like this.
  9. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Nice, I think we may be looking at one of those when we next come to upgrade the car. We currently drive a 3 door Mini Cooper S as even though it is a Mini, it is a car that my wife can get in and out of easily given that it has the larger doors and a steep windscreen. She has fibromyalgia and finds it hard to bend in the middle or "scrunch down", not a good thing for fitting in cars especially when you are also 6' tall... Being able to open up the doors like that would probably help her a lot, especially if we moved the seat back too (no need for anyone in the back).

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Fancy notebook for when I start my new job - I need to make more notes and reminders & stuff, and I really do want to get into the habit of hand-writing stuff.

Leuchtterm 120gsm notebook

[​IMG]

Leuchtterm pen loop (basically stick it down in the back page of the notebook)

[​IMG]

I already bought one of these notebooks a while back to use as an ill-fated bullet journal and I really like the quality. The thicker paper will help to eliminate bleed-through as I get used to hand-writing again with a fountain pen.

EDIT: Aaaaand I've just realised that I'll need VOC filters for my respirator, because particle filters won't really help against vapours given off by casting resin... Might as well grab some new safety specs while I'm at it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Nov 2023
    Vault-Tec and b1g-d0g like this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

EDIT: Removed double-post...

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Oh, nice. I'm currently rocking a couple of Rhodia notebooks - a Rhodiarama Goalbook with white paper, and a Rhodiarama Perpetual with standard Rhodia ivory paper, both dotted rather than lined. Absolutely lovely things.

Byron C likes this.
  13. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Visa,
    City pass,
    Rink side Icehockey Ticket,
    As close to the court as my wallet would allow Basketball Ticket,
    Sennheiser IE-900s (Hopeing they don't freeze in my ear lol)
    New cosmic cable.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The notebook I got for my bullet journal is dotted, as it makes it easier to lay out whatever you want on a page. I'm sticking with lined for a "proper" notebook though - my handwriting is pretty poor, and I go all over the place without lined paper! :grin:

I'd seen the Leuchtterm notebooks recommended in a couple of places, alongside the Lamy Safari fountain pen. Deliberately went for the heaver 120gsm paper to try and avoid bleed-through - the last time I hand-wrote stuff regularly was over 25 years ago at school! :hehe:

bawjaws likes this.
  15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Leuchtterm are superior to Moleskine, well played for not falling to the marketing trap.

bawjaws and Byron C like this.
  16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

There's apparently some obd2 coding that automatically opens the window halfway when you open the door, it's meant to make it easier to get in and out in tight spaces. It's a bit of a shame BMW have stopped production of the i3 to focus on the i4 and iX. I hope it gets a revival somewhere in the future.

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I’ve never used a Moleskine notebook, but I certainly have heard of them. To be honest, it’s nice to use a good quality notebook regardless of what the brand is.

It’s not something I’ve often needed, but in the past whenever I’ve wanted one I’d just grab a cheap Oxford notebook or supermarket equivalent. I’m so used to just bashing out notes on a keyboard, because I can type far faster than I can write. But then that creates its own organisational problems: unless I’m using the same platform/software consistently, it’s very easy to lose digital information. My work laptop currently has about 6 tabs of notes in Notepad++ and half of them aren’t even saved - I just rely on the temporary unsaved files cache because it’s easier than coming up with a meaningful file hierarchy.

I’ve been tempted in the past to set up something like Obsidian, but that inevitably leads to questions of how I should organise or link information. That snowballs into something that starts to feel too big and too difficult to manage... Compared to just… writing it down on a piece of bloody paper…! :grin:

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, Leuchtturm are really good. I went with Rhodia because I couldn't see that Leuchtturm do the format that I wanted - which is a week on one side, and a blank (dotted) page on the other, but crucially, the weeks need to be undated. That's what the Rhodia Perpetual does, so I got one of those, and then I liked it so much that I got myself a Goalbook too - which is basically identical to the Leuchtturm Bullet Journal.

Yeah, Moleskine are overpriced and their paper is like bog roll imho - far too thin to take ink properly.

ElThomsono and Byron C like this.
  19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

I tend to prefer something I can pocket, it's not unknown for me to go down the pub with a notebook and start designing something. The red Moleskine was from work, I've had it for years and I kinda like the diaphanous paper (saying that I only write on the right hand page because of the bleed). The Field Notes are the slightly larger version and are a big favourite, 5mm dot grid is great for scale drawing. The Rhodia flip pads were pretty dang cheap and the paper is excellent, almost waxy with no bleed. Well worth a try if you can live with yellow. And the little Lamy ones are good for just having stashed away somewhere.

Byron C likes this.
  20. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I haven't bought a GPU since 2018, so it was time to replace the 1050ti with an RX6600... I can finally play MS Flight Simulator.