1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I had some parts to polish for my other project, so while I was at it I polished the top of my Aqua-Computer Cuplex EVO H20 block..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just for the record, I love Aqua-Computer's equipment.... I have to work the rest of the week and the weekend, I should have the DVD drive back from the chrome guy by the next up-date. Until then.....
    MS

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  2. ekovalsky

ekovalsky What's a Dremel?

Great work Modsquad. You have a lot of patience! I can't wait to see pics of the finished product.

Glad to see another computer geek & audiophile! My current rig feeds a dCs Purcell & Elgar Plus (along with a dCs Verdi transport), with a Jeff Rowland 302/4 driving VMPS RM/X loudspeakers.

I'm about to start a new project using a PC-V1200B case, the extended (4" deeper) version of the case you are using. I'm hoping with the extra space I can keep the HDD cages and use the upcoming PCP&C 700ETX power supply which is 9" deep. I'm going to get the case somewhat pre-modded with a screw-in window (no molding) and pre-drilled top to accomodate a 2x120 radiator.

I really want to use the Aqua Computer gear but the supply problems are obviously a big concern. I'm not sure I can handle 3-4 months of waiting. But I waited six months for my audio speakers to be built and delivered, so maybe ... :rolleyes:

Last edited: 11 Nov 2004
  3. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

Noooooooo you removed the CF...

Mod, I was so surprised to see that you removed the carbon fiber from the DVD drive. I loved that look. I was seriously considering doing that to my drives. Did you have to disassemble your drive (i.e., did you have to take the cover off) to apply the CF appliqué?

The chrome should look sweet. How thick is the chrome plating and does it affect re-assembly?

4. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

I agree with MS's decision to remove the CF. I think the chrome will go much better with the theme of the case.

Looking good!

5. modsquad

The Carbon Fiber does look good, but I think chrome will look better. As for doing the CF mod, all you do is rap your drive in the stuff..Very EZ mod. I don't think the chrome will cause any problems when I re-assemble the Plextor drive (I hope not)..

Last edited: 12 Nov 2004
  6. modsquad

I had Jeff Rowland amps a few years back, Great stuff.. In my humble opinion Aqua-Computer makes the best "small bore" water cooling equipment on the market today.. I think SNTsystems has it's problems behind them and shipment won't take months and months ( I have another batch of backordered gear I am waiting for, 2 weeks this go-around..I hope). The Plextor DVD drive cover is at the chrome guy, I should have it back by midweek. I need to get the drive back together and installed to make-up the mirrored acrylic plate for the hard drive (top) section...Until then.
    MS

7. Litecore

Litecore What's a Dremel?

phew, i've just finished reading the whole project log and as i type this i'm all out of words.
    and yes i know this have been said before but i just love the attention to every detail !
    once i get my hands on a case of my own and atempting my first ideas on it, i somehow
    wish that if it'd end up looking half as good as yours man - i shall forever be happy :D

great mod you've got going. can't wait to see the beast finished :rock:

MOD ON ! :dremel:

8. ekovalsky

Hope your gear arrives on time. I have a big list of Aqua Computer gear for my project, most of which is not in stock. I should be ready to order soon, I just need to figure out where the radiator is going in the PC-V1200B. Probably going with a Evo 240 on the top, with perhaps a Evo 120 on the rear in the future for two GPU blocks (planning an SLI setup) and a NB block. Or I could go with the Evo 360 mounted externally in the new bracket. So many options...

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I agree, the chrome will fit in better, although I really loved the look. I may end up doing it myself at some point :)

10. modsquad

Yes, Dan from SNT does not seem to keep a large inventory of AQ equipment. He seems to order in "batches"..It maybe too late to get in on this batch. I am not sure where you could mount the big Evo360 externally. I have seen them mounted on top of machines.. PS: the English translation at Aqua-Computer is up-and-running (no more Babel Fish)...Check it out.
    MS

11. modsquad

The case skins work well for optical drives, no question. I think some of there abstract colored (red, green or blue) skins would also work well. It takes about half an hour to do and can be removed/changed when you get tired of it. That makes for a good mod...

12. H2O-G33K

H2O-G33K What's a Dremel?

You needn't be concerned. Your water won't be more than a ~1-2 degrees hotter in the hottest part of the loop vs the coldest. This is a very common water-cooling misconception - right up there with 'if I keep my water in my radiator longer it'll be more efficient'. :rolleyes:

13. ekovalsky

The Evo360 in its external bracket should fit okay on the V1200B, since it has an extra 4" depth compared with the V1000. Still planning, this is what I'm contemplating right now...

[​IMG]

Glad to see the English section up. Some of the Babelfish translations were pretty funny :hehe:

14. modsquad

A-man with A-plan...the V1200/2000 would look very original with your radiator_idea..I like it... the new AQ Airplex Evo 240/360 rev2 mounting brackets are ideal for your setup..are you going to post a project log????????

Last edited: 16 Nov 2004
  15. modsquad

gearing_up

From a man with a plan to Modsquad with his "ever changing" plan........ I am looking forward to getting the DVD drive cover back from the chrome guy (another day or two). I have the two SATA 80GB harddrives mounted..ready and waiting..The DVD drive needs to be installed before making up the top mirrored plate..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided to use 90 degree compression fittings on the Innovatek reservoir as well as the LED plug...I will get them installed tomorrow...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

:clap: :clap: Looking forward to your next update :clap: :clap:

17. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

Still looking very nice. DO you think the extra 90 turns will impact your flow rates?

18. Firehed

Not enough to worry as it's designed to be low-flow to being with, I'd bet.

Those are some kinda odd looking hard drives... wierd top to them :hehe:

19. modsquad

Firehed is right on the money regarding the compression elbow fittings. As for the hard drives, they are IBM/Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 (7200rpm; 8MB cache; SATA). I have been using the brand for more than a few years, one of the quietest drives on the market.. Here's a few new pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Firehed

That thing on the right the thermal probe? And the center is the LED mount, right?

Interesting way to do those fittings... good idea though. I wanna see how it looks all set up :thumb: