1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs An update on the redesign

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 20 Apr 2010.

1. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

What 'I' have noticed over the last couple of days is the lack of interest and response from Bit-Tech. Well **** you too. I'll still pop by to have a look, but I am done with input on the site as you really do not seem to give 2 F@#KS what we, YOUR CUSTOMERS actually think.

This is the same reason I stopped buying CustomPC...

2. leslie

leslie Just me!

ANY site redesign will get complaints, you can't please everyone.
    It wouldn't matter if it was the greatest design in the world.

To be honest, out of all the customers, this isn't many complaining. The real tell will be in hit counts. So no, they may not be listening, yet. Also, just because you state an opinion, or even if they ask for it, it doesn't mean they have to follow it.

3. Jediron

Jediron What's a Dremel?

no, but the problem was ie showed smaller font, my mistake.
    I like the Arial font though ;-)

4. GunsAblazin

GunsAblazin What's a Dremel?

Wow, talk about scrolling. You guys at Bit-tech might want to make the page a lot wider. Like who doesn't have widescreen these days, especialy Bit-tech reaters. I just finished a web design class and I think I can do much better.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

You didn't read this thread or the other one, did you?

And if you can do it better... go ahead, we'll be here waiting. :p

6. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Really? I tell you what 'I' have noticed, aside from 'your' inability to know when to 'use' quotation marks, is that on page 6 of this thread, 'you', 'myself' (the editor), and Jamie (the developer) have a back-and-forth discussion about colour coding and visual design. 'Your' points are responded to within less than two hours, including a code change to the site to address some of 'your' issues on commenting. In fact, 'you' even professed to like the changes.

But that was at 00:48 on Saturday. By the end of the day, you've decided to post the above foul mouthed rant, and, to be honest, I've got no idea where it comes from or even what you're on about. Throughout this process - and I include the open public beta - the staff have sought and responded to comments from readers. I've written two long and balanced blogs posts explaining our decisions. We've not changed everything people have asked us to, because you simply can't please everyone all the time - I have however, done my best to explain when decision have been made, why they've been made.

But clearly, that's not enough for 'you'.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2010
    jezmck likes this.
  7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

My only problem with the design of bit-tech is that "discuss in the forums" is where I would expect "post comment" to be and I keep losing my comments by clicking the wrong button!

Nice work besides that though and I'm sure I'll get used to it.

8. perplekks45

I love people who don't do anything themselves but start bitching immediately if they don't get a reply within 10 minutes...

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Kbai.

I think I speak for everyone when I say you won't be missed. Have fun over at Tom's Hardware or wherever it is you end up.

Guest-16 likes this.
  10. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

now with 30% more adverts.

11. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

And with no text justification for comments, forcing your eyes over to teh left, leaving tons of white space.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2010
  12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Actually there's technically less adverts now since we no longer have skyscrapers making the forums true variable width if you really want them to be. We do have the extra MPU on the front page, but in terms of pixels rendered for adverts, there's less.

But, you know, jump to conclusions and all that.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Ummm, I've been very pleasantly surprised of how well you guys take the criticism, and how fast you've made corrections (that were well founded).

Hurrah! ;)

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You get hugs \o/

:clap:

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

A week has passed and I have to say dont like the new look.

Unlike most that complain about the width, I dont mind that since at work I only have a 15" LCD.
    My main complain is about screen use.

There are three main columns on the page now.
    The firtst uses about 45% of the screen area and offers the new content BitTech produced.
    The second uses about 25% of the screen area and is reserved for news.
    The third column, about 30%, is just a waste, I just dont care on its content.

PS:
    For reference, check XbitLabs site. It only uses the "Content and "News" columns and functions well.
    I understand you guys want/need to have some integration with other branches of the group you belong to, but its just a waste of space.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2010
  16. perplekks45

Did you change the layout for the articles on the front page? 1 big picture instead of 2 smaller ones?

Like it! :thumb:

17. Sifter3000

We have for today - the featured article boxes are really flexible. For big launches and cool products, we can put more of a focus on one thing - there's a launch tomorrow, so I expect then we might have just the one, or maybe two articles in there, so the pics will be huge :D

18. Sifter3000

Well, it's the third column that pays the bills, and trust me, I think you'd prefer the third column over a little coin slot in the side of your PC that you had to put 10p in every time you loaded bit-tech ;)

19. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I really like it actually.

I'm still getting lost around places, trying to work out where I'm going and what the hell is going on sometimes, but I love the new look. Looks a tremendous load better than the old one.

Although saying that, my FF bookmark for this site goes straight to the forum, so I don't often visit the main site all that much.

20. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

I dont think bit-tech anticipated Humans using their website, in other words most humans reject change from their comfort zones... On a good note: Troll training can re-begin :)

Tags: Add Tags